Power lines

Rodimus

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2021
When choosing a home, make sure the power lines are underground. I live in an area that has electricity lines underground and after our power went out after a hurricane in Florida, our power came back on in just a short time. It is very much needed in places that have natural disasters.

When choosing a home, make sure the power lines are underground. I live in an area that has electricity lines underground and after our power went out after a hurricane in Florida, our power came back on in just a short time. It is very much needed in places that have natural disasters.

If it is feasible, it is a great idea. However, not all places are level with soft soil like Florida.

Putting lines underground in rocky soil is a nightmare.

Of course, underground power cabling is more susceptible to flood damage and corrosion over time.

Add to that, all power distribution must come above ground at various points to accommodate transformers and equipment access. So, even so-called underground systems are susceptible to damage.

Also, because the cost of locating power cables underground vs above ground is more than 10 times higher (costs ultimately passed on to consumers), underground utility networks are less likely to use smart grid technology (which requires more cabling and transformers) to router power around affected neighborhoods and restore outage more quickly.

Of course, underground power cabling is more susceptible to flood damage and corrosion over time.

Add to that, all power distribution must come above ground at various points to accommodate transformers and equipment access. So, even so-called underground systems are susceptible to damage.

Also, because the cost of locating power cables underground vs above ground is more than 10 times higher (costs ultimately passed on to consumers), underground utility networks are less likely to use smart grid technology (which requires more cabling and transformers) to router power around affected neighborhoods and restore outage more quickly.
thanks for the info. i didn't think of that. by the way, i am a TransFormers fan :)

Yep...
We've lived in our current house for 16 years and the longest we've been without power was three hours.
It was during a hurricane ,cant remember which one, and I was prepared.
Broke out the window unit I bought for our cabin tent,then the generator and installed in the bedroom window. No sweating through the night for us!!!
Got it all set up and the power came back on 15 minutes later.

Yep...
We've lived in our current house for 16 years and the longest we've been without power was three hours.
It was during a hurricane ,cant remember which one, and I was prepared.
Broke out the window unit I bought for our cabin tent,then the generator and installed in the bedroom window. No sweating through the night for us!!!
Got it all set up and the power came back on 15 minutes later.
thank you for your first hand account and information.

in 1987 my wife and I were looking for a place to build. Among our specifications was underground utilities (sidewalks, dead-end street, etc.). Our previous two homes lost power almost every time there was a severe thundershower. The power came back fairly quickly, but it was a pain in the ass, largely because we relied on the electric garage door opener to get in at the end of the day (and I often forgot my keys).

The subdivision where we chose to build met every requirement. I bought a lot at the end of a cul-de-sac. The first time we had a thunderstorm, my power went out. As I looked around the neighborhood, my house was the only one that was dark. Upon further inquiry I was told that because my lot ran right past a high-tension wire to the local substation, they decided to just connect me directly, rather than going through the underground taps that everyone else had.

It took me twenty years to get it sorted out.

Sold the house last week.

in 1987 my wife and I were looking for a place to build. Among our specifications was underground utilities (sidewalks, dead-end street, etc.). Our previous two homes lost power almost every time there was a severe thundershower. The power came back fairly quickly, but it was a pain in the ass, largely because we relied on the electric garage door opener to get in at the end of the day (and I often forgot my keys).

The subdivision where we chose to build met every requirement. I bought a lot at the end of a cul-de-sac. The first time we had a thunderstorm, my power went out. As I looked around the neighborhood, my house was the only one that was dark. Upon further inquiry I was told that because my lot ran right past a high-tension wire to the local substation, they decided to just connect me directly, rather than going through the underground taps that everyone else had.

It took me twenty years to get it sorted out.

Sold the house last week.
sorry about that situation you had with your power. thank you for sharing your story.

I'm trying out this Tesla Coil but haven't quite perfected it yet.
1639514504261.png

Forum List

Back