Post-Apocalyptic Survival - Alternative Tactics

One of the reasons I like these discussions is that none of us thinks of everything.

I have had a Bug-Out bag for years. Nothing complicated. No firearms in the bag.

I was talking to a guy about bug-out bags, and he posted his list of items in his bag. One of them was bolt cutters.

I have tools in my bag, but I never thought about adding my bolt cutters to the bag. Cuts locks, chainlink fence, chains ect. You could also knock the ever-loving fuck out of someone with them. Been in my bag ever since.

Everyone in this thread should read Ferfal Aguirre's book "The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse."

The cliffs notes...live in a medium sized town or very small city.

Surprised me. I had already purchased 20 acres.

But this is a guy who lived though an economic collapse in Argentina.
Many post-apocs focus on one character or one family, but now that I think of it, a persistent trope in these books is that they can't get into small towns off the highway. These towns quickly muster defensive forces and block exit ramps and run patrols. One of the first of these novels, Alas, Babylon, is based on a town choosing a leader and pulling together against plunderers.

However, I've seen other novels in which a suburban community decides everyone ought to pool everything they own so it can be divided up equally: our heroes always bug out of those places soonest.

It's the same problem as with besieged cities, a trade-off between needing enough people to guard the walls versus the "useless mouths" problem. Forming new communities with incomers carefully chosen to be productive people with skills is the usual way it's solved in these fictions.

One of the pluses of being an Alabama redneck. I know several recipes for "tree rat". I have my grandmother's recipe for Squirrel & Dumplings that is amazingly good!

One of the pluses of being an Alabama redneck. I know several recipes for "tree rat". I have my grandmother's recipe for Squirrel & Dumplings that is amazingly good!
Can you imagine these urban liberals eating squirrel? :lol: Or parasite riddled lake and river fish? Or washing chickenshit off of eggs?

They ain't gonna make through hard times if they don't toughen up with a quickness.

Can you imagine these urban liberals eating squirrel? :lol: Or parasite riddled lake and river fish? Or washing chickenshit off of eggs?

They ain't gonna make through hard times if they don't toughen up with a quickness.

So very true! Probably more likely to resort to cannibalism.

Yep,
A "meet up" location for family and friends is not a bad idea. Collectively you all can live together and guard each other....so long as nobody falls asleep on guard duty.

However. Traveling to your meet up location is fraught with danger. Cities HAD fuel....but quickly run out....most of the fuel spent sitting in a traffic jam trying to get out of town.. Then there's the suburbs. You have to cross through. Too many rifles with scopes and a paranoid population. Too many handguns too....just for walking or bicycling down the road.

Then there's the nutcases....these crazies think that since everyone is going to die anyway he/she gets ahold of a firearm and begins indiscriminately mowing people down...just because. These guys will blow up the chlorine gas tanks used for chlorination of city water...Basically those clouds will kill everyone in their path.

Then there's the nutball idiots who raid pharmacies....drugs. they will pop every pill and contaminate the rest before they overdose. Diabetic or HBP? Yep...gonna suck to be you. Any chronic disease or those who have had gastric bypass are gonna be gunners. Too many resources necessary to keep you alive...so you will be a very short time alive.

Then....once equilibrium is achieved....the animals will get you. Dogs that aren't fed regularly become the predators they once were. Lots of domestic animals will die but some will turn feral like hogs do and can.

Then comes cholera and dysentery....no clean water anywhere because sewage isn't being properly disposed of. And wells need electricity for pumping. The second a generator is turned on or lights are seen at night....every human predator will instantly target your group.

Eventually some sort of order will come about....people prefer life to constantly fighting. But it's going to take a long time.

Forum List

Back