Portland man accused of killing 2 during hate-filled rant guilty of 1st-degree murder

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
This seems to do little to salve the wound he has inflicted

Jeremy Christian shouted hate speech that included anti-Muslim comments on a Portland light-trail train in 2017 before the stabbings.
200221-jeremy-christian-ac-749p_43d082dbca07f3a88f8dec4e4b06f634.fit-760w.jpg

Jeremy Christian, 37, attends jury selection for his trial in Portland, Oregon, on Jan. 27.John Rudoff / AFP - Getty Images file
Feb. 21, 2020, 5:01 PM PST
By Alicia Victoria Lozano
The man accused of fatally stabbing two people and injuring a third during a hate-filled rant aboard a Portland, Oregon, train in 2017 was found guilty Friday on all 12 charges, including two counts of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree intimidation.

Jurors also found Jeremy Christian, 37, guilty of assault, unlawful use of a weapon and menacing passengers. He will be sentenced during a separate hearing.

Authorities said Christian shouted hate speech that included anti-Muslim comments on a light-rail train. Some of the rants were directed at two teenage girls, one of whom was wearing a head scarf. In Oregon, second-degree intimidation includes hate speech.

During his tirade, Christian also spoke of beheadings and shouted "Go home, we need America here!," the Oregonian reported.

The girls moved to the back of the train to get away from Christian, and three people tried to intervene. Two of them, Rick Best, 53, an Army veteran and father of four, and Taliesin Myrddin Namkai Meche, 23, were stabbed and killed. A third victim, Micah Fletcher, who was 21 at the time, narrowly escaped death.

Authorities said in court documents that Fletcher’s stab wound missed being a fatal injury by mere millimeters.

During a court appearances in 2017, Christian repeatedly yelled that he was not guilty and had only been defending himself against "violent aggression" by Fletcher. In a separate hearing, he also shouted "free speech or die" and "death to the enemies of America."

Speaking in court earlier this week, Multnomah County Deputy District Attorney Jeff Howes said Christian's self-defense claim made no sense.

"A reasonable person wouldn’t have killed two people instantly," Howes said, according to KGW, an NBC affiliate in Portland, Oregon. "There's no rationalization to lead someone to believe [what Christian did] is an appropriate response."

Christian's family said in a 2017 statement that they could not "begin to understand this senseless act" and denounced racism.

"The Christian Family offer their heartfelt condolences to those men who lost their lives at the hands of their son on May 26, 2017," the statement said.

My deepest sympathies to the families of the two victims.

The suspect is obviously mentally ill. I assume that his lawyer may use that defense.

The bottom line: Should one intervene when one sees bullying going on?

Well, if I am being bullied, I would certainly appreciate any help that I can get from good people.

But I am personally too cowardly to intervene when I see bullying. (Although I might find enough courage to call the cops!)

I agree he has some mental issues....maybe he should be sentenced to spend many years in a insane asylum.
Maybe his entire life people like this can't walk free :(

I agree he has some mental issues....maybe he should be sentenced to spend many years in a insane asylum.

My understanding is that if he is declared insane, there is nothing stopping the idiot doctors from letting him out, when he gets "better".

My understanding is that if he is declared insane, there is nothing stopping the idiot doctors from letting him out, when he gets "better".
I can't believe somebody could be so naive to let him out...not even after 30/40 years :eek-52:

I can't believe somebody could be so naive to let him out...not even after 30/40 years :eek-52:

So, you're new to this planet, I take it?

The suspect is obviously mentally ill. I assume that his lawyer may use that defense.

Well, if I am being bullied, I would certainly appreciate any help that I can get from good people.

But I am personally too cowardly to intervene when I see bullying. (Although I might find enough courage to call the cops!)
What if the cops or those who wear uniforms do the bullying? Not expecting an answer. Just saying it has happened.

Jeremy Christian shouted hate speech that included anti-Muslim comments on a Portland light-trail train in 2017 before the stabbings.

Jeremy Christian, 37, attends jury selection for his trial in Portland, Oregon, on Jan. 27.John Rudoff / AFP - Getty Images file
The man accused of fatally stabbing two people and injuring a third during a hate-filled rant aboard a Portland, Oregon, train in 2017 was found guilty Friday on all 12 charges, including two counts of first-degree murder and three counts of second-degree intimidation.

Jurors also found Jeremy Christian, 37, guilty of assault, unlawful use of a weapon and menacing passengers. He will be sentenced during a separate hearing.

Authorities said Christian shouted hate speech that included anti-Muslim comments on a light-rail train. Some of the rants were directed at two teenage girls, one of whom was wearing a head scarf. In Oregon, second-degree intimidation includes hate speech.

During his tirade, Christian also spoke of beheadings and shouted "Go home, we need America here!," the Oregonian reported.

The girls moved to the back of the train to get away from Christian, and three people tried to intervene. Two of them, Rick Best, 53, an Army veteran and father of four, and Taliesin Myrddin Namkai Meche, 23, were stabbed and killed. A third victim, Micah Fletcher, who was 21 at the time, narrowly escaped death.

Authorities said in court documents that Fletcher’s stab wound missed being a fatal injury by mere millimeters.

During a court appearances in 2017, Christian repeatedly yelled that he was not guilty and had only been defending himself against "violent aggression" by Fletcher. In a separate hearing, he also shouted "free speech or die" and "death to the enemies of America."

Speaking in court earlier this week, Multnomah County Deputy District Attorney Jeff Howes said Christian's self-defense claim made no sense.

"A reasonable person wouldn’t have killed two people instantly," Howes said, according to KGW, an NBC affiliate in Portland, Oregon. "There's no rationalization to lead someone to believe [what Christian did] is an appropriate response."

Christian's family said in a 2017 statement that they could not "begin to understand this senseless act" and denounced racism.

"The Christian Family offer their heartfelt condolences to those men who lost their lives at the hands of their son on May 26, 2017," the statement said.
Did the mods create special exemption for you to cut and paste entire articles?

This practice is something the rest of us are not permitted to do.
.smells like black privilege to me

Execute him. See how easy that is?

Execute him. See how easy that is?
Surprisingly, they actually have the death penalty but it's almost never enforced. But this is a white guy, and it is a "hate crime", so maybe
It’s nearly impossible to die by state execution in Oregon. After September 29, it will become even less likely.

First, a person will need to commit a crime that meets Oregon’s recently revised definition of aggravated murder. That means someone will need to be accused of either committing a murder that is an act of terrorism; intentionally killing a person younger than 14; intentionally killing a police or corrections officer; killing a fellow prison inmate; or—if they’ve already been convicted of aggravated murder—committing another murder.
https://www.portlandmercury.com/new...most-nonexistent-so-why-cant-we-get-rid-of-it

What if the cops or those who wear uniforms do the bullying? Not expecting an answer. Just saying it has happened.
..the cops will usually stop the bad guy, not bully ....does it happen? sure--but not as much as some people want you to believe

I actually agree with Oregon on this. Real INTIMIDATION is not protected free speech.

I hope he does get death.

Authorities said Christian shouted hate speech that included anti-Muslim comments on a light-rail train. Some of the rants were directed at two teenage girls, one of whom was wearing a head scarf. In Oregon, second-degree intimidation includes hate speech

Forum List

Back