Pollyanna Rush

He also said that the area of the Valdez spill was now pristine.

What a FUCKING IDIOT

Exxon Valdez oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Almost 20 years after the spill, a team of scientists at the University of North Carolina found that the effects are lasting far longer than expected.[18] The team estimates some shoreline Arctic habitats may take up to 30 years to recover.[5] Exxon Mobil denies any concerns over this, stating that they anticipated a remaining fraction that they assert will not cause any long-term ecological impacts, according to the conclusions of 350 peer-reviewed studies.[19] However, a study from scientists from the NOAA concluded that this contamination can produce chronic low-level exposure, discourage subsistence where the contamination is heavy, and decrease the "wilderness character" of the area.[14]

Wiki.
:lol:

Okay, here is the primary if you want to play that game.

18 years on, Exxon Valdez oil still pours into Alaskan waters | Business | The Guardian

The UK Guardian.

BTW, the title is a lie, of course. There's no oil pouring into Alaskan waters.

"The study, an advance of which was released on Wednesday, found more than 26,600 gallons of oil remaining at Prince William Sound. Researchers say it is declining at a rate of only 4% a year and even slower in the Gulf of Alaska."
18 years on, Exxon Valdez oil still pours into Alaskan waters | Business | The Guardian

The oil remains. No more is "pouring in".

And do you realize what a tiny amount 26,600 gallons is?

Fucking idiot.

So, no verbatim transcript?

I call shenanigans.

I call you stupid and lazy once more.

Regime SWAT Teams Sent to Gulf

RUSH: Our official climatologist, Dr. Roy Spencer has just sent me something. I've been wondering about this. He must have been reading my mind. We've got 5,000 barrels a day being spilled from the rig, and Dr. Spencer looked into it. You know, we've talked of this before. There's natural seepage into oceans all over the world from the ocean floor of oil -- and the ocean's pretty tough, it just eats it up. Dr. Spencer looked into this. You know the seepage from the floor of the Gulf is exactly 5,000 barrels a day, throughout the whole Gulf of Mexico now. It doesn't seep out all in one giant blob like this thing has, but the bottom line here is: Even places that have been devastated by oil slicks like... What was that place up in Alaska where the guy was drunk, ran a boat aground? (interruption) Prince William Sound. They were wiping off the rocks with Dawn dishwater detergent and paper towels and so forth. The place is pristine now.

You do survive these things. I'm not advocating don't care about it hitting the shore or coast and whatever you can do to keep it out of there is fine and dandy, but the ocean will take care of this on its own if it was left alone and was left out there. It's natural. It's as natural as the ocean water is. (interruption) Well, the turtles may take a hit for a while, but so what? So do we! Hell, remember that story we had at the beginning of the show: The barred owl that flew into the windshield of the Wentzville, Missouri, fire truck, and they got to the fire and the thing was still hanging on out there. It had a broken wing and they took it to some animal veterinary sanctuary or hospital or something. Just give it a pain pill! Why not? That's what they had for us, and we don't even launch ourselves into the windshields of fire trucks.

The UK Guardian.

Yeah, I figured that would be your second response. You guys are nothing if not predictable.

Of course, you could actually address the article, as opposed to attacking the source, but then you'd have to actually do some work.

BTW, the title is a lie, of course. There's no oil pouring into Alaskan waters.

"The study, an advance of which was released on Wednesday, found more than 26,600 gallons of oil remaining at Prince William Sound. Researchers say it is declining at a rate of only 4% a year and even slower in the Gulf of Alaska."

The oil remains. No more is "pouring in".

Take it up with the guardian. The bottom line is that 20 years after the fact, Alaska is still feeling the effects of this incident.

And do you realize what a tiny amount 26,600 gallons is?

Do you realize how tiny an amount one gallon is? Now go pour it on your lawn and see what it does. Or pour it on yourself and strike a match.

Fucking idiot.

Yeah, why don't you link us some more travel brochures? You are certainly coming across as the smart one on this thread.

He also said that the area of the Valdez spill was now pristine.

What a FUCKING IDIOT

Exxon Valdez oil spill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Almost 20 years after the spill, a team of scientists at the University of North Carolina found that the effects are lasting far longer than expected.[18] The team estimates some shoreline Arctic habitats may take up to 30 years to recover.[5] Exxon Mobil denies any concerns over this, stating that they anticipated a remaining fraction that they assert will not cause any long-term ecological impacts, according to the conclusions of 350 peer-reviewed studies.[19] However, a study from scientists from the NOAA concluded that this contamination can produce chronic low-level exposure, discourage subsistence where the contamination is heavy, and decrease the "wilderness character" of the area.[14]

So? when have you been to Valdez to SEE IT?

So? when have you been to Valdez to SEE IT?

When have you been to Iraq or Afghanistan to see it?

I'm not pretending to know what the hell is going on in Afghanistan or Iraq, idiot.
I lived in Alaska for 17yrs, so I can say I know a little about it.

So by your logic, unless you've actually been somewhere or experienced something, you can't comment on it.

I'll make sure to keep that in mind for future reference.

When have you been to Iraq or Afghanistan to see it?

I'm not pretending to know what the hell is going on in Afghanistan or Iraq, idiot.
I lived in Alaska for 17yrs, so I can say I know a little about it.

So by your logic, unless you've actually been somewhere or experienced something, you can't comment on it.

I'll make sure to keep that in mind for future reference.

you're learning, a little slow at it but at least learning.
now isn't your play time or sumthing?

Last edited:

I call shenanigans.

RUSH: Our official climatologist, Dr. Roy Spencer has just sent me something. I've been wondering about this. He must have been reading my mind. We've got 5,000 barrels a day being spilled from the rig, and Dr. Spencer looked into it. You know, we've talked of this before. There's natural seepage into oceans all over the world from the ocean floor of oil -- and the ocean's pretty tough, it just eats it up. Dr. Spencer looked into this. You know the seepage from the floor of the Gulf is exactly 5,000 barrels a day, throughout the whole Gulf of Mexico now. It doesn't seep out all in one giant blob like this thing has, but the bottom line here is: Even places that have been devastated by oil slicks like... What was that place up in Alaska where the guy was drunk, ran a boat aground? (interruption) Prince William Sound. They were wiping off the rocks with Dawn dishwater detergent and paper towels and so forth. The place is pristine now.

You do survive these things. I'm not advocating don't care about it hitting the shore or coast and whatever you can do to keep it out of there is fine and dandy, but the ocean will take care of this on its own if it was left alone and was left out there. It's natural. It's as natural as the ocean water is. (interruption) Well, the turtles may take a hit for a while, but so what? So do we! Hell, remember that story we had at the beginning of the show: The barred owl that flew into the windshield of the Wentzville, Missouri, fire truck, and they got to the fire and the thing was still hanging on out there. It had a broken wing and they took it to some animal veterinary sanctuary or hospital or something. Just give it a pain pill! Why not? That's what they had for us, and we don't even launch ourselves into the windshields of fire trucks.
I didn't start the thread or make the accusation, dickweed....It's not up to me to dig up the transcript.

Now, insofar as that transcript snippet is concerned, "I'm not advocating don't care about it hitting the shore or coast and whatever you can do to keep it out of there is fine and dandy..." sounds to me like the unsourced accusation of the OP is all wet....He's not advocating just leaving the slick alone and letting nature take its course.

Shenanigans still stands, fool.

I think that even though Limbaugh is called a conservative talk host that most of his listeners are libbies.

Neither i nor any of my friends listen to him but all the dimmy progressives on this board seem to never miss a show.

:eusa_angel:

Now Doodeee...... Ol' Limpbaugh stated that Prince William Sound is in pristine condition again. It is not at all in that condition and will not be for decades. Just the usual lies from the Ol' Junkie.

Now Doodeee...... Ol' Limpbaugh stated that Prince William Sound is in pristine condition again. It is not at all in that condition and will not be for decades. Just the usual lies from the Ol' Junkie.

and just when have you been there to see it?

Rush is right, sorry to burst your alls bubble.:lol:

I call shenanigans.

Spencer knows less about climatology than he knows about oil and he knows nothing about oil.

There is about 500,000 barrels of natural oil seepage in the Gulf each YEAR, which is about 1,400 barrels per day, not 5,000.

No, Rush is not right. Here is what the scientists at NOAA have to say.

Of course, a dingleberry wingnut will believe a proven junkie before they will accept the studies of scientists. But thats the Teabaggers for you.

The Exxon Valdez Oil Spill – 20 Years After: The Analysis : EcoLocalizer

What caused two Orca whale pods (observed in the oil slick in 1989) to lose 40% of their members? One of these pods is slowly recovering, but the second, originally composed of 22 members, has now lost all of its female members, making the survival of the pod impossible. Government scientists assert that the sudden and coinciding pod declines were caused by the oil spill—either through breathing the fumes or eating contaminated prey. However, Exxon scientist assert that the pod declines can not be conclusively linked to the spill.

Sea otter populations were also heavily impacted. While most of these populations around the sound have rebounded, many populations that inhabited the worst stricken areas back in 1989 remain notably low. According to a US Geological Survey report, oil remains in the shallow, intertidal zones of many of these beaches, and that digging in these zones by otters (an activity comprising 18% of sea otter dives) continually exposes them to oil residues. To what extent this exposure has prevented these populations from rebounding (perhaps due to hydrocarbon impacts on otter fertility cycles) may be a question that can never be answered satisfactorily.

One issue that scientist on both sides do agree on: the Pacific herring population has declined dramatically (by 85%). But was this due to the oil spill? This is difficult to determine since deeper water animals (like fish) may not feel the impact of such spills immediately; the herring population did not crash until 1993, one year following a particularly weak plankton bloom, which may have left the fish hungry and compromised their immune systems. Using this information, researchers from the British Columbia Ministry of Agriculture and the University of Alaska have developed a model that faithfully replicates the “busts” and “booms” of the herring population for the past 15 years. However, Richard Thorne, of the Prince William Sound Science center, had conducted a hydro-acoustic monitoring survey, using sonar to count fish. His results matched well with the aerial surveys of herring spawn which have been conducted every year for the past thirty. The comparisons indicate that the collapse began in 1989, the same year as the spill. Thorne believes that the spill, followed by three years of unchecked fishing, have caused the herring decline. But due to a lack of pre-spill data on this fish population, the mystery as to why the herring are not coming back remains.

No, Rush is not right. Here is what the scientists at NOAA have to say.

Of course, a dingleberry wingnut will believe a proven junkie before they will accept the studies of scientists. But thats the Teabaggers for you.

The Exxon Valdez Oil Spill – 20 Years After: The Analysis : EcoLocalizer

What caused two Orca whale pods (observed in the oil slick in 1989) to lose 40% of their members? One of these pods is slowly recovering, but the second, originally composed of 22 members, has now lost all of its female members, making the survival of the pod impossible. Government scientists assert that the sudden and coinciding pod declines were caused by the oil spill—either through breathing the fumes or eating contaminated prey. However, Exxon scientist assert that the pod declines can not be conclusively linked to the spill.

Sea otter populations were also heavily impacted. While most of these populations around the sound have rebounded, many populations that inhabited the worst stricken areas back in 1989 remain notably low. According to a US Geological Survey report, oil remains in the shallow, intertidal zones of many of these beaches, and that digging in these zones by otters (an activity comprising 18% of sea otter dives) continually exposes them to oil residues. To what extent this exposure has prevented these populations from rebounding (perhaps due to hydrocarbon impacts on otter fertility cycles) may be a question that can never be answered satisfactorily.

One issue that scientist on both sides do agree on: the Pacific herring population has declined dramatically (by 85%). But was this due to the oil spill? This is difficult to determine since deeper water animals (like fish) may not feel the impact of such spills immediately; the herring population did not crash until 1993, one year following a particularly weak plankton bloom, which may have left the fish hungry and compromised their immune systems. Using this information, researchers from the British Columbia Ministry of Agriculture and the University of Alaska have developed a model that faithfully replicates the “busts” and “booms” of the herring population for the past 15 years. However, Richard Thorne, of the Prince William Sound Science center, had conducted a hydro-acoustic monitoring survey, using sonar to count fish. His results matched well with the aerial surveys of herring spawn which have been conducted every year for the past thirty. The comparisons indicate that the collapse began in 1989, the same year as the spill. Thorne believes that the spill, followed by three years of unchecked fishing, have caused the herring decline. But due to a lack of pre-spill data on this fish population, the mystery as to why the herring are not coming back remains.

you can believe what you want. or take the word of people who have lived there.
But you won't believe the people who lived there, then you wouldn't be able to call them and Rush names.

Last edited:
So you toured Alaska once. Here is what the people who live there have to say;

The Truth about the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill

Cordova District Fishermen United and Prince William Soundkeeper have joined together to deliver The Whole Truth about the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill, demand justice and end Exxon’s quest to escape responsibility. We invite you to hear our voices, hear our stories , discover what you can do to get involved and use the tools provided to join our fight.

Oral Arguments before the U.S. Supreme Court were held on February 27, 2008. Learn more about the case to understand how a decision will be made and when it will be announced.

shit happens in a post industrial revolution age. You deal with it and move on like anything else in life. Failure rate of oil rigs is miniscule..............

You'll find that people who think differently on this energy subject frequently exist in a very makey-uppey world. Many of the people who post on these boards.............those who cannot accept that life in the 21st century has its tradeoffs..............are people who dont have the typical responsibilities of the average American who are forced to weed out priorities in life. ALmost invariably, the k00k liberals on this board never have to do that. All you have to do is look at the total post count of many of the k00ks on this board. 9,000.........10,000...........12,000 posts in about a year. There is a level of naive in terms of assessing priorities when you can spend 12, 14 or 16 hours a day sitting at a computer philosophizing about how our world should be. Its akin to putting a McDonalds employee in a seat at an air traffic control tower and saying, "Here.........have at it s0n............and good luck!!!". Its "absurd" defined!!! Unless you are part of this Life of Reilly crowd, you cant take goofballs like Old Rocks seriously

Most conservatives have real lives, thus are forced to make real decisions based upon what is truly a priority in life. To stop and weigh what is the ideal in any situation whould be a prescription for lots and lots of people to be blowing their brains out. Most of the k00ks on this board cant comprehend that because its not part of their dynamic in life...............they have all the time in the world to be as fcukking idealistic as possible ( again.......take a gandor at their total posts counts for the sobering reality:eek::eek::eek:). Any wonder why I refer to them as mental cases???

Life is about assessing necessary tradeoffs.........we live in an idustrial age. Coal and oil will be the method of ensuring that our economy moves forward and it will continue to be that way for decades and decades................its that simple, and no idealistic notion of the Land of Oz is going to change it. I'll be many years in the box before its significantly different. Perhaps in 30 or 40 years, the technology will be affordable enough to consider making it feasible to make decisions based upon a hail mary pass guess about the future. Not now.............and thats just the way it is.

Thats the basic foundation of Rush Limbaugh's thinking. Its simple pragmatism at its core. Some people simply cant fathom that........but again, these are people who can afford to exist in this perpetual state of seeking to embrace the ideal at every turn ( make transportation all electric.........put a windmill on every roof etc............). Because the k00k never weighs the tradeoffs.

Conservatives understand that you cant fullfill every desire in your life that you want and are constantly weighing cost-benefit ratio's.............becasue they do it every day of their lives.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back