POLL: Kool Aid

Poll: ever heard of Kool Aid as a racial stereotype?

• Yes, I heard of this before the Brian Kilmeade comment

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • No, I never heard of this befor the Brian Kilmeade comment

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • Pineapple

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never heard of it. I knew poor people drink it a lot....it's cheap and mixed with water it tastes good.

Yes, but it was more of stereotype more associated with poor people. As a poor kid it was a staple in our house.

Here's at least two comments as a stereotype for "poor". I've never considered that either, although if I thought about it, Kool Aid would not be something I'd expect in a rich person's house -- obviously it's not Perrier -- but the reverse didn't occur to me.

I suspect what this poll might ferret out is not so much how many of us heard of this one or that one, but how seriously we lean on stereotype in general. I have to admit, I'm not one to take them seriously.

It is way cheaper than pop and it masked the crude taste of our well water.

Pop? Pfffffft! It is called soda.
West coast calls it soda. East coast calls it pop. I learned that in the military.

Never heard of it. I knew poor people drink it a lot....it's cheap and mixed with water it tastes good.

Yes, but it was more of stereotype more associated with poor people. As a poor kid it was a staple in our house.

Here's at least two comments as a stereotype for "poor". I've never considered that either, although if I thought about it, Kool Aid would not be something I'd expect in a rich person's house -- obviously it's not Perrier -- but the reverse didn't occur to me.

I suspect what this poll might ferret out is not so much how many of us heard of this one or that one, but how seriously we lean on stereotype in general. I have to admit, I'm not one to take them seriously.

At least you don't live in the podunks of Florida, they treat the water with sulfur..........

At least you don't live in the podunks of Florida, they treat the water with sulfur..........

That may explain the concept of "sweet tea" :puke:

Maybe to you Southern Visigoths but us bumpkins up here in Appalachia call it pop.

West coast calls it soda. East coast calls it pop. I learned that in the military.

Michigan calls it pop too

Maybe to you Southern Visigoths but us bumpkins up here in Appalachia call it pop.

I was raised in NY......and California......and Florida.

It is soda.................everywhere that has it right, that is.

I noticed that the first time I visited St. Augustine. The water smelled like eggs. lol

Thats east coasty to me.

"Pop" is for Pittsburghers. They don't know how to tawk.

:scared1: (fleeing MDK)

I know......as does upstate NY and Ohio.

Appalachia eh? Do you know how many stereotypes come to mind......... :D

I have only heard of it as a stereotype for gullible people.

That's the only meaning I was aware of too, and until the Kilmeade thread spurred me to look it up, I didn't know it was connected to Jim Jones. I knew the meaning only from the context I see it used on the internet but never knew the derivation of it.

So it's been educational.
I completely forgot about Jim Jones and Kool-Aid. A recent microaggression to be sure.

What the hell is soda?

That's true. I had a Michigoose girlfriend, she would say "pop".
Then I'd try to maneuver her into saying the word "roof". It was so cute.

The OP is the first I've heard of it. Sounds pretty stupid to me. Hell I don't even know who Brian Kilmeade is. :dunno:
well you've heard of it now right? Isn't that amazing how that works? When you haven't heard of something and then do, you now know about that something.
Figured that out all by yourself or did you need help? :dunno:
well obviously me not knowing about it fked you all up. I should have known about something I didn't know about. But since I didn't know about it, I couldn't know about it. See how that works?

Snob. I bet you gasp when you hear jelly instead of All Fruit. :lol:

The first time I heard it called pop was by a Black Puerto Rican from NY.

The OP is the first I've heard of it. Sounds pretty stupid to me. Hell I don't even know who Brian Kilmeade is. :dunno:
well you've heard of it now right? Isn't that amazing how that works? When you haven't heard of something and then do, you now know about that something.
Figured that out all by yourself or did you need help? :dunno:
well obviously me not knowing about it fked you all up. I should have known about something I didn't know about. But since I didn't know about it, I couldn't know about it. See how that works?
:thup:

Snob. I bet you gasp when you hear jelly instead of All Fruit. :lol:

I've never heard of "all fruit". It must not exist.

From this thread about a co-host on "Fox and Friends" asking a guest doing a cooking segment if she makes Kool Aid with the dish she's preparing (see the thread for background)....

Answer honestly --- before this came up, had you ever heard of Kool Aid as a racial stereotype?
I thought it was grape drink.

Forum List

Back