POLL: Kool Aid

Poll: ever heard of Kool Aid as a racial stereotype?

• Yes, I heard of this before the Brian Kilmeade comment

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • No, I never heard of this befor the Brian Kilmeade comment

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • Pineapple

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Never knew that Kool Aid was a slur.

Two things have to happen for a word to be a slur. Firstly, it has to be spoken with malice. Secondly, the target of the word needs to be insecure about their race, religion, body type, or whatever.

You can make dumb blonde jokes all day long...it just doesn't cut me. I like being blonde. Hey, thanks for noticing my hair.
You can call me a potato eater cuz that's what my ancestors survived on. It doesn't offend me. Cracker doesnt offend me. Saying I can't jump doesn't make me cringe. Whitey, Caspar, whatever, it's okay because I'm secure in my whiteness.

There needs to be both malice and insecurity for a slur to cut someone.

not a slur silly ass, just a stereotype

for comedic effect

poll is probably skewed a bit too since most folks here are like 60 plus...this shit was born in the 80s/90s in the concrete jungle.....not everyone's gunna know

Two things have to happen for a word to be a slur. Firstly, it has to be spoken with malice. Secondly, the target of the word needs to be insecure about their race, religion, body type, or whatever.

You can make dumb blonde jokes all day long...it just doesn't cut me. I like being blonde. Hey, thanks for noticing my hair.
You can call me a potato eater cuz that's what my ancestors survived on. It doesn't offend me. Cracker doesnt offend me. Saying I can't jump doesn't make me cringe. Whitey, Caspar, whatever, it's okay because I'm secure in my whiteness.

not a slur silly ass, just a stereotype

for comedic effect

poll is probably skewed a bit too since most folks here are like 60 plus...this shit was born in the 80s/90s in the concrete jungle.....not everyone's gunna know

We'd moved from the hood in Oakland to a country hamlet by 1980

• Thanks
Reactions: GT
Pogo

I thought of you when I watched this.

Please watch beginning at about the 5:24 mark.

Panel - Does Donald Trump Even Want to Be President?-The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore - Video Clip | Comedy Central

I wonder what Arsenio was referring to there? Hmmmmm?

:dunno: -- couple of people laughed, I didn't get it. If there's an obscure stereotype, then it works as a joke for those who know it, just as Dennis Miller's obscure references (theoretically) do. There is after all a certain cachet in quoting the arcane.

But that doesn't make it "widely held", which was why I generated the poll. Back in November of last year. Seems to me if it took you seven months to find somebody riffing on it that's more damning than the poll results.

As noted way back then -- if it were a widely-held stereotype, it wouldn't be necessary to explain it. Stereotypes are by definition universal or virtually universal, not arcane.

Pogo

I thought of you when I watched this.

Please watch beginning at about the 5:24 mark.

Panel - Does Donald Trump Even Want to Be President?-The Nightly Show with Larry Wilmore - Video Clip | Comedy Central

I wonder what Arsenio was referring to there? Hmmmmm?

:dunno: -- couple of people laughed, I didn't get it. If there's an obscure stereotype, then it works as a joke for those who know it, just as Dennis Miller's obscure references (theoretically) do. There is after all a certain cachet in quoting the arcane.

But that doesn't make it "widely held", which was why I generated the poll. Back in November of last year. Seems to me if it took you seven months to find somebody riffing on it that's more damning than the poll results.

As noted way back then -- if it were a widely-held stereotype, it wouldn't be necessary to explain it. Stereotypes are by definition universal or virtually universal, not arcane.

It didn't take me 7 months to find anything, friend. I was watching the fucking show and there it was.

That was a weird thing to think....nevermind say.

And.....relax. I'm not trying to win any prizes in a shady way here. We've no skin in the game. Fuck.

It didn't take me 7 months to find anything, friend. I was watching the fucking show and there it was.

OK then let's put it this way --- if it takes this "widely known stereotype" seven months to appear...... it just might be possible it ain't that widely known.

:smoke:

OK then let's put it this way --- if it takes this "widely known stereotype" seven months to appear...... it just might be possible it ain't that widely known.

36% on a geriatric website for a stereotype that was born inside of urban pop culture... isnt a very good sample set of the population..... probably. mebbemaybe...mebbemaybe.

36% on a geriatric website for a stereotype that was born inside of urban pop culture... isnt a very good sample set of the population..... probably. mebbemaybe...mebbemaybe.

You think I should run a sub-poll surveying the ages of those who voted in this one?

Or something like:

"I'm over 50 and I heard/never heard of this" vs. "I'm under 50 and I heard/never heard of this" -- ?

:eusa_think:

You think I should run a sub-poll surveying the ages of those who voted in this one?

Or something like:

"I'm over 50 and I heard/never heard of this" vs. "I'm under 50 and I heard/never heard of this" -- ?

Well if you're looking to get a feel on whether its a widely known stereotype - polling a website made up of so many binary minded, old racist weirdos with an affinity for arguing minutia..... probably isn't the most accurate population subset. (to use)

Or something like:

Well if you're looking to get a feel on whether its a widely known stereotype - polling a website made up of so many binary minded, old racist weirdos with an affinity for arguing minutia..... probably isn't the most accurate population subset. (to use)

Sure, it's clearly limited in objectivity, plus there's no way to guarantee anyone will vote honestly -- although I did, that was the whole point.

Wouldn't a slew of binary minded old racist weirdos tend to answer in the affirmative though?

Or something like:

Sure, it's clearly limited in objectivity, plus there's no way to guarantee anyone will vote honestly -- although I did, that was the whole point.

Wouldn't a slew of binary minded old racist weirdos tend to answer in the affirmative though?
I think you should ask black folks how they feel about kool aid and youd see.

Not only is it a stereotype, its an accurate one. :lol:

Its not something theyre ashamed of.....but I think after the commercials with the fat pitcher full - lots of them called the audible and switched to grape drink.

You learn so much being a Basketball Beast all your life.

Or something like:

I think you should ask black folks how they feel about kool aid and youd see.

Not only is it a stereotype, its an accurate one. :lol:

Its not something theyre ashamed of.....but I think after the commercials with the fat pitcher full - lots of them called the audible and switched to grape drink.

You learn so much being a Basketball Beast all your life.

Well that lets me out. Basketball's just barely above soccer on the boring scale
snore.gif

As far as a trope, if it's going to work it has to be understood not only by the intended target but by the flingee as well. It really doesn't count if Ross Perot utters "you people" and some third party starts jumping up and down inferring meanings he didn't mean. In other words it has to be current and universal first before it can convey a meaning.

To apply it to the OP that doesn't mean Brian Kilmeade didn't mean it as such -- maybe he did, maybe he knows the arcanity. We can't tell. But most people don't know it. So it could be that he meant a slur and thought he could get away with it on account of arcanity, or it could be that he didn't know about it and it was just an innocent coincidence.

Doesn't strike me that Brian Kilmeade is all that smart so I tend to think it's probably not the former.

i doubt he did it on purpose, hes a daft twat

It is a bizarre comment either way, completely out of left field. I can't imagine actually drinking something like that. :puke:
I thought we all knew better by now.

i doubt he did it on purpose, hes a daft twat

It is a bizarre comment either way, completely out of left field. I can't imagine actually drinking something like that. :puke:
I thought we all knew better by now.
For whatever reasoning, shit is still real in the field - people eat DISSGROSSSSTING bullshit.

Like....unhealthy, is one thing.

Fried butter sticks dipped in powdered sugar is some next level diabetes

Clearly you have not been paying attention to the micro-aggression campaign from the PC leftards.

Anyone that thinks that most Kool Aid drinkers are black or that most blacks drink Kool Aid are droolingly stupid mind blended inbred morons.

Claims that it is a stereotype are simply farcical horseshit.

Forum List

Back