POLL: Kool Aid

Poll: ever heard of Kool Aid as a racial stereotype?

• Yes, I heard of this before the Brian Kilmeade comment

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • No, I never heard of this befor the Brian Kilmeade comment

Votes: 30 58.8%
  • Pineapple

Votes: 3 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pogo

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2012
Fennario
From this thread about a co-host on "Fox and Friends" asking a guest doing a cooking segment if she makes Kool Aid with the dish she's preparing (see the thread for background)....

Answer honestly --- before this came up, had you ever heard of Kool Aid as a racial stereotype?

I'll be the first to cite Fox Noise as making its living on race-baiting, and I understand that Brian Kilmeade has a history of saying weird shit.

But no, to be honest I never heard of Kool Aid as a racial stereotype along the lines of say, fried chicken and watermelon.

Never heard of it. I knew poor people drink it a lot....it's cheap and mixed with water it tastes good.

But...libs say it is racist. Hmmm. Guess another racist stereotype was dying off....but libs needed it to remain alive.

The only Kool Aid stereotype I knew was the one referencing the Jim Jones mass suicide or something like that, "dont drink the Kool aid".

How many people have to hear about this to qualify for your "widely known" label?

I dunno. I'm leaving the interpretation wide open.

BINGO!! So no number will never fit your definition of "widely known" so this entire thread is a folly

Is there some reason you don't want the analysis? I left it wide open and impartial, which means I'm wide open to being shown to be a tiny minority. And I'm fine with that.

I'll be the first to cite Fox Noise as making its living on race-baiting, and I understand that Brian Kilmeade has a history of saying weird shit.

But no, to be honest I never heard of Kool Aid as a racial stereotype along the lines of say, fried chicken and watermelon.
I don't think Brian Kilmeade is racist. He consistently puts his foot in his mouth. This is one of those instances.

How many people have to hear about this to qualify for your "widely known" label?

I dunno. I'm leaving the interpretation wide open.

BINGO!! So no number will never fit your definition of "widely known" so this entire thread is a folly

Is there some reason you don't want the analysis? I left it wide open and impartial, which means I'm wide open to being shown to be a tiny minority. And I'm fine with that.

Dude, go ahead and analyze. Since you dont know what number of people have to hear about something for it to be widely known I'm curious how you're going to analyze anything. But go ahead.

PS. No matter how many people have heard of it it wont ever make you hear of it in past tense.

Never heard of it. I knew poor people drink it a lot....it's cheap and mixed with water it tastes good.

But...libs say it is racist. Hmmm. Guess another racist stereotype was dying off....but libs needed it to remain alive.

The only Kool Aid stereotype I knew was the one referencing the Jim Jones mass suicide or something like that, "dont drink the Kool aid".

Koolaid is not racist.

Yes, but it was more of stereotype more associated with poor people. As a poor kid it was a staple in our house.

Here's at least two comments as a stereotype for "poor". I've never considered that either, although if I thought about it, Kool Aid would not be something I'd expect in a rich person's house -- obviously it's not Perrier -- but the reverse didn't occur to me.

I suspect what this poll might ferret out is not so much how many of us heard of this one or that one, but how seriously we lean on stereotype in general. I have to admit, I'm not one to take them seriously.

Yes, but it was more of stereotype more associated with poor people. As a poor kid it was a staple in our house.

Here's at least two comments as a stereotype for "poor". I've never considered that either, although if I thought about it, Kool Aid would not be something I'd expect in a rich person's house -- obviously it's not Perrier -- but the reverse didn't occur to me.

I suspect what this poll might ferret out is not so much how many of us heard of this one or that one, but how seriously we lean on stereotype in general. I have to admit, I'm not one to take them seriously.

They don't require a serious approach. I tend to have fun with them. But....I'm always coming from a good place when I do. That is what it boils down to.

Forum List

Back