Policy debate and discussion

Do you periodically attend & participate in "real world" policy (policy-related) discussion events?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

usmbguest5318

Gold Member
Jan 1, 2017
D.C.
USMB happens to be an Internet forum in which people gather to discuss, among other things, public policy. USMB is not, however, the only place where people can and do so. In what other venues does one find and might one participate in discussions of public policy, either physically or virtually, depending on the way the event is organized), perhaps even having something to share with the other participants/attendees? Well, here are some examples:

In addition to the above venues, pretty much every four-year university and college in the country at one point or another hosts symposia, lectures, seminars, panel discussions, "town halls," etc. whereby interested parties can attend and participate. Sometimes the participation opportunity is during the event. In other instances, it's at a post-event reception. In still others it's merely a matter of approaching someone after the "official" open discussion among panelists and having a small one-on-one with them.

Do you routinely and periodically attend policy discussion events (virtual or physical) such as the ones indicated at the links above? If so, do you simply sit and listen, or do you participate. If you participate, conduct yourself there in exactly the same way one observes that many people do in policy discussions here on USMB?
  • By that, I mean, for example:
    • Would you stand up (figuratively or literally) and say to the audience/speakers that they don't know they are talking about, perhaps even in a crass manner?
    • Would you stand up and say something as childish as is much of what's said here?
    • Would you stand and say something and provide no context for your remarks?
    • Would you stand, say something, be asked a question in return and simply not answer it, even though by having been asked a question, the other person has respectfully shown an interest and willingness to engage with you on the topic?
    • Would you stand and say something that has nothing to do with the topic being discussed?
    • Would you spew purely partisan rhetoric rather than having something substantive to say?
    • Would you merely share your opinion and then sit down?
    • Would you stand and ask a loaded question or make a loaded statement that is almost sure to rather in either a didactic or dismissive response, rather than asking/making a neutrally phrased one that'll advance the discussion?
Now, I don't know anyone on here, but I suspect few if any folks here would behave in any of those ways in an in-person policy (or policy related) discussion. Accordingly, one must wonder by what mad contrivance do so many people come here and behave (remark) any differently than they would at a "real world" discussion forum/event? After all, if one indeed has a sincere intellectual interest in a topic, it's really not that hard to have something substantive to say or ask about it.

Note:
  1. I once went to a signing and I wasn't particularly interested in buying the author's current book. I took an older book he'd written and asked him to sign that and while he did so, I asked him about one of the points he'd raised in it and how it jibed with something I'd read by another author. He asked me if I minded waiting around 'til the end of the signing and invited me to join him and several other attendees for drinks at the bar down the street and we all had a great impromptu "round.table" sort of chat. The people there included one other undergrad like me, two grad students and one dude who was clearly a post-doc or "think tanker" or something.

Last edited:
I have attended lectures. I pay attention to the guest speakers. I don't go to book signings. In the last year, I have been more attracted to history lectures. What I will not do is take the time off work to drive to the university and then spend 2 hours with children that are busy with gotcha moments. I will not attend anything with a focus on economics. It is the softest science there is.

Those conversations will not happen here and, if they do, there will be few participants. There are three reasons. The first reason is the majority of information is presented by media conglomerates who have a vested interest in public policy. Secondly, opining is taken as fact. Thirdly, rational voices are ignored.

There are many people that can't read legislation and they can't understand Supreme Court decisions. They are reliant on someone else for interpretation.

Thank your for a thread that puts a lot of trolls on the spot.

Having been involved in think tanks and am perpetually involved in community discussions where people get together face to face, I can tell you that after many years of experience, most of the trolls you have that delight in calling people names would not set foot in a venue where you would have to make those statements in public, defend them, and then be held accountable for your actions.

When I first came here, I tried to set an example by not matching people insult for insult, but you have a contingent of children here that seem to delight in calling other's names and presenting easily defeated arguments... and for what purpose, who knows????

In public, those children that make irresponsible posts and come here merely for the enjoyment of following other posters around and calling them names NEVER go to a public forum where they have to interact live. I go to public gatherings all the time. People sit there, quiet as a church mouse, never say anything, and then go home and spew skeet on discussion boards that they will NOT say to your face in public.

My greatest fantasy is to be able to prove who one of those trolls are and then go confront them in person. I'd take a crew with me and film what they said. Then I'd put the whole thing on YouTube.

Forum List

Back