Police Murder Down Syndrome Man Over Movie Ticket and Get Away With It

Michelle420

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2013
The Bee Hive State
Ethan Saylor, a man with Down Syndrome, was just 26 years old when he was attacked and murdered by police officers at a movie theater. He’d gone to see Zero Dark Thirty with his health aide. When the film was over, Saylor decided he wanted to stay and see the movie again. His aide had left the theater to get the car. Police moved in on Saylor because he didn’t have a ticket for the second showing of the film and the aide had, by then, returned to the lobby. She warned them not to touch Saylor saying that due to his condition he would become easily upset. They didn’t listen and instead attacked Saylor, throwing him to the ground and piling on top of him, crushing his larynx as he tried to cry out for help. He managed to squeeze out the words “help, ouch!” and “Mommy!” while, according to eyewitnesses, three policemen were piling on top of him. His death has been ruled a homicide.

Police Murder Down Syndrome Man Over Movie Ticket and Get Away With It | Las Vegas Guardian Express

Why did the health aid leave him unattended and why did the officers need to be so brutal?

Thank God the judicial system needs more evidence than the Vegas Guardian before they accuse someone of murder.

Last edited:
The aide should never work in the profession again. That neglect is unforgivable. They fucked up as bad as it's possible to fuck up.

As for the police that killed the man? I hope it's treated like any other homicide. Those shameful bastards.

I agree, she shouldn't have left him unattended but that said she did warn the police he has down syndrome and doesn't like to be touched.

I can't believe how brutal they were.

Last edited:
Sounds like an unfortunate accident to me.

That's a damn fine line you're walking.

Read the first hand accounts...Firsthand accounts released in Saylor's death - Police - Frederick News-Post

The three deputies involved — Lt. Scott Jewell, a 23-year veteran of the sheriff's office; Sgt. Rich Rochford, a 16-year veteran; and Deputy First Class James Harris, a 10-year veteran — were placed on administrative leave in February after an autopsy report listed Saylor's manner and cause of death as homicide by asphyxiation.

The caretaker, in a follow-up interview with an investigator, said she wasn't sure if Saylor was then forced to the ground or if he fell.

“I hear Ethan screaming saying 'ouch,' 'don't touch me,' 'get off,' and crying,” she wrote. “Next thing I hear is nothing.”

After Saylor went quiet, the deputies turned him on his side and he sounded like he was snoring, she wrote. They asked her to try to wake him, and the caregiver rubbed his stomach and said, “Wake up, Ethan,” according to the investigator's interview notes.

It sounds like they were too forceful to me.

They might escape justice on earth but they'll pay eventually.

Sorry, but I have little tolerance for the machismo attitude of bully cops. I hope those fuckers suffer a similar demise. I look at the pictures of the victim and you can't tell me those slimeball cops couldn't see the guy was retarded. Those cops should be hung by their tiny little balls.

The aide shouldn't have left him alone in the first place, and the cops should have waited until his aide came back, and listened to her, instead of charging in like they did.

The aide shouldn't have left him alone in the first place, and the cops should have waited until his aide came back, and listened to her, instead of charging in like they did.
That's right, and I'm sick and tired of cops protecting each other when they should be getting rid of the ones who do shit like this.

The three deputies involved — Lt. Scott Jewell, a 23-year veteran of the sheriff's office; Sgt. Rich Rochford, a 16-year veteran; and Deputy First Class James Harris, a 10-year veteran — were placed on administrative leave in February after an autopsy report listed Saylor's manner and cause of death as homicide by asphyxiation.
The caretaker, in a follow-up interview with an investigator, said she wasn't sure if Saylor was then forced to the ground or if he fell.

“I hear Ethan screaming saying 'ouch,' 'don't touch me,' 'get off,' and crying,” she wrote. “Next thing I hear is nothing.”

After Saylor went quiet, the deputies turned him on his side and he sounded like he was snoring, she wrote. They asked her to try to wake him, and the caregiver rubbed his stomach and said, “Wake up, Ethan,” according to the investigator's interview notes.
It sounds like they were too forceful to me.

Sound like the guy was at least somewhat out of control.
According to the portions of the incident report, as the caretaker and Saylor were walking to her car outside the theater, he became upset and punched a window at LensCrafters. The caregiver called Saylor's mother, Patti, who told her to “wait him out,” according to a detective's notes from an interview with the caretaker.

A second caretaker called a short while later and advised the woman with Saylor at the theater to get her car and bring it out front and that he would be more willing to get in.
In other words, this 300 pound 26 year old was violent and no longer responding to his caregiver. It didn't matter WHO spoke to him, or touched him...police, caregiver or anyone else, he was going to react violently. That was the message the caregiver was conveying as a warning to police for THEIR safety...not Saylor's.
Rochford responded to the theater and called to Jewell and Harris for assistance after being told Saylor would “refuse to comply with commands and that he may become violent,” according to Rochford's written report.

The three deputies grabbed Saylor by his arms and moved him from the seat to a standing position near the ramp, but he resisted.

Once it was determined he was out of his caregivers control and potentially violent...what could the cops do?

They couldn't leave him there...even if he had a ticket, or his caregiver bought him a ticket.

They had no choice but to remove him.

If he resisted and fell, or if he resisted and they ALL fell...how is this the fault of the police?

It would be an accident.

Last edited:
That's right, and I'm sick and tired of cops protecting each other when they should be getting rid of the ones who do shit like this.

As for the jury that didn't wish to have charges filed against these thugs, shame on them. How can they sleep at night?

Sound like the guy was at least somewhat out of control.
According to the portions of the incident report, as the caretaker and Saylor were walking to her car outside the theater, he became upset and punched a window at LensCrafters. The caregiver called Saylor's mother, Patti, who told her to “wait him out,” according to a detective's notes from an interview with the caretaker.

A second caretaker called a short while later and advised the woman with Saylor at the theater to get her car and bring it out front and that he would be more willing to get in.
In other words, this 300 pound 26 year old was violent and no longer responding to his caregiver. It didn't matter WHO spoke to him, or touched him...police, caregiver or anyone else, he was going to react violently. That was the message the caregiver was conveying as a warning to police for THEIR safety...not Saylor's.
Rochford responded to the theater and called to Jewell and Harris for assistance after being told Saylor would “refuse to comply with commands and that he may become violent,” according to Rochford's written report.

The three deputies grabbed Saylor by his arms and moved him from the seat to a standing position near the ramp, but he resisted.

Once it was determined he was out of his caregivers control and potentially violent...what could the cops do?

They couldn't leave him there...even if he had a ticket, or his caregiver bought him a ticket.

They had no choice but to remove him.

If he resisted and fell, or if he resisted and they ALL fell...how is this the fault of the police?

It would be an accident.

There are effective ways of taking a grown man down without harming him. There is no need to body slam someone to the floor and cut off their air supply.

Have you ever seen an adult with Down Syndrome? Yes, they can sometimes be violent, but its because they get confused and may not understand what is going on. They get frustrated and don't know how to express their anger, which is why they might appear to be violent. They do NOT intend to harm you, which is what you don't understand.

As for the jury that didn't wish to have charges filed against these thugs, shame on them. How can they sleep at night?

Maybe, they heard the whole, complete story and we only get the news version.

Police have said Saylor, who stood 5-foot-6 and weighed 294 pounds, yelled and cursed at the deputies after they confronted him for refusing to leave an auditorium where he had watched the movie, "Zero Dark Thirty." The autopsy report says one deputy then touched Saylor to remove him from the theater. When he resisted, the others joined in.

"In their effort, three deputies and Mr. Saylor all fell into a heap" in a side aisle of the auditorium, the report says.

Forum List

Back