Police Failed To Respond To Hostage Situation; Hostage Dies As Result

Biff_Poindexter

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2018
USA

"A woman who received a desperate text from her husband indicating he had been taken hostage said Tuesday that she called 911 but that police did not respond until about an hour later, by which time he had been shot and killed. On its online police blotter, the Colorado Springs Police Department said it found two deceased adult males on Friday at the location that Talija Campbell said she feared her husband Qualin Campbell was being held by another man. It said the officers responded to a report of a shooting there at 2:09 p.m. Talija Campbell said she called 911 just after 1 p.m. when her husband, a father of two, l texted his location and a photo of a man sitting next to him in his car. Then he sent messages saying "911" and "Send Please!" She called the emergency number.

Campbell said she told one dispatcher that she believed her husband had been taken hostage, described his car and his location, which was about a mile away from the headquarters of the Colorado Springs Police Department. The dispatcher said an officer would check it out and get back to her but there was no sense of urgency, Campbell said, so she drove to the location herself. When she arrived Campbell said she immediately recognized her husband's company car in a parking lot. As other people gathered around, they debated whether they should open the car door after seeing a gun on the lap of the other man - Campbell said she decided to open the door to try to save her husband, who had been bleeding, but found no pulse on his neck or wrist. "I shouldn't have been the one there, the first person to respond," she said. Campbell's lawyer, Harry Daniels, said she wants answers from the department about why it did not respond to her call, saying Qualin Campbell might still be alive if they had. "I can't think of anything that could take higher precedence than a hostage situation, except maybe an active shooter," he said."

Very sad story and from the point of view of Mrs Campbell, I can see her frustration seeing as tho her husband's location was just one mile away from the police station. From what I have read, her husband was shot in the stomach, which in many cases, is the slowest and most painful way to die....However, if help arrived sooner, it is very likely Mr. Campbell could have survived; which I am sure only add to the frustration of his family and friends. The shooter also died, has not been identified so its hard to say if this is a person who was knew the victim, perhaps a coworker, his friend or even his gay lover as some of you will most likely speculate -- either way, this is a pretty sad story - but I won't fault the police until we find out if the lack of urgency was on part of the 911 operators or the police themselves.

Sometimes the police responds quickly like we saw with the last couple of mass shootings.

Sometime they stop off at the donut shop before responding.

When seconds counts the police will be there in minutes, or later.

Isn't Colorado Springs a Liberal community that debated defunding the police? Did they actually do it?

"A woman who received a desperate text from her husband indicating he had been taken hostage said Tuesday that she called 911 but that police did not respond until about an hour later, by which time he had been shot and killed. On its online police blotter, the Colorado Springs Police Department said it found two deceased adult males on Friday at the location that Talija Campbell said she feared her husband Qualin Campbell was being held by another man. It said the officers responded to a report of a shooting there at 2:09 p.m. Talija Campbell said she called 911 just after 1 p.m. when her husband, a father of two, l texted his location and a photo of a man sitting next to him in his car. Then he sent messages saying "911" and "Send Please!" She called the emergency number.

Campbell said she told one dispatcher that she believed her husband had been taken hostage, described his car and his location, which was about a mile away from the headquarters of the Colorado Springs Police Department. The dispatcher said an officer would check it out and get back to her but there was no sense of urgency, Campbell said, so she drove to the location herself. When she arrived Campbell said she immediately recognized her husband's company car in a parking lot. As other people gathered around, they debated whether they should open the car door after seeing a gun on the lap of the other man - Campbell said she decided to open the door to try to save her husband, who had been bleeding, but found no pulse on his neck or wrist. "I shouldn't have been the one there, the first person to respond," she said. Campbell's lawyer, Harry Daniels, said she wants answers from the department about why it did not respond to her call, saying Qualin Campbell might still be alive if they had. "I can't think of anything that could take higher precedence than a hostage situation, except maybe an active shooter," he said."

Very sad story and from the point of view of Mrs Campbell, I can see her frustration seeing as tho her husband's location was just one mile away from the police station. From what I have read, her husband was shot in the stomach, which in many cases, is the slowest and most painful way to die....However, if help arrived sooner, it is very likely Mr. Campbell could have survived; which I am sure only add to the frustration of his family and friends. The shooter also died, has not been identified so its hard to say if this is a person who was knew the victim, perhaps a coworker, his friend or even his gay lover as some of you will most likely speculate -- either way, this is a pretty sad story - but I won't fault the police until we find out if the lack of urgency was on part of the 911 operators or the police themselves.

This type of situation is a boon for defenders of the 2nd Amendment. This was accentuated with the Uvalde case in which police didn't respond as they should.

As I've said about Canadian police, "they only stop crimes that they themselves commit or create". If not for plain clothed cops here, we would have 50% less crime than we have.

It's not a knock on uniformed officers but this looks bad on them, at least in the initial stages.

Last edited:
My only question is how much deeper can the authorities dig the hole that they are already in?

God bless you and the victim's family always!!!

Holly

Sometimes the police responds quickly like we saw with the last couple of mass shootings.

Sometime they stop off at the donut shop before responding.

When seconds counts the police will be there in minutes, or later.

Isn't Colorado Springs a Liberal community that debated defunding the police? Did they actually do it?
I was wondering the same thing. Even if the police hadn't actually been "defunded" leftist policies, including the allowing of illegals, have led to personnel shortages. Also, we don't know what the timeline would have been like if police were there sooner. The guy may have still died. In any event, I'm withholding my final judgement until I know all the facts.

Hey morons, Colorado Springs is the home of multiple religious organizations and military bases and also the Air Force Academy, to say nothing of retired military voters. No, it is not liberal and did not "defund the police".

I was wondering the same thing. Even if the police hadn't actually been "defunded" leftist policies, including the allowing of illegals, have led to personnel shortages. Also, we don't know what the timeline would have been like if police were there sooner. The guy may have still died. In any event, I'm withholding my final judgement until I know all the facts.
Democrat led cities, even middle size ones like CS, are always a disaster.

We are getting flooded here in Florida with applications from police officers fleeing the Democrat controlled shitholes.

Democrat led cities, even middle size ones like CS, are always a disaster.

We are getting flooded here in Florida with applications from police officers fleeing the Democrat controlled shitholes.
Yup. When the leftists have anti-police policies then who in the hell in their right minds would want to be in law enforcement? I mean, even without all the attacks on police by leftists, the media, and Democrats, who would want to risk their lives every day arresting the same people over and over and over again? Damn, if I'm going to risk my life as an officer arresting a violent criminal, I would want to know that I don't have to face that same person all over again.

Fallout from your relentless attacks on police.

Or maybe it was just human error on the part of the 911 dispatchers or a dysfunction in the process overall that needs to be addressed.....your desire to frame everything as "Democrat vs Republican" is evidence first of you just being a pussy...but also, it is evidence of how fragile minded and insecure you morons are...you wrap your whole identity around a political party that you yourself claim doesn't give a fuck about you..that is how pathetic you are

Seriously? Some text messages that do not specify a hostage situation, merely hint at some sort of unknown trouble is supposed to illicit a rapid police response? At some point it appears the victim was in a car, what the hell is the expectation here? Shut down whole cities on scant reports of possible crimes? The whole situation seems a bit fishy.

Or maybe it was just human error on the part of the 911 dispatchers or a dysfunction in the process overall that needs to be addressed.....your desire to frame everything as "Democrat vs Republican" is evidence first of you just being a pussy...but also, it is evidence of how fragile minded and insecure you morons are...you wrap your whole identity around a political party that you yourself claim doesn't give a fuck about you..that is how pathetic you are
I clearly said I would withhold final judgement in this particular case until I know all the facts. But, it's no secret that police departments most everywhere are losing officers and having a tough time recruiting new ones because leftists are fighting a war against the police.

I clearly said I would withhold final judgement in this particular case until I know all the facts. But, it's no secret that police departments most everywhere are losing officers and having a tough time recruiting new ones because leftists are fighting a war against the police.
I am willing to bet the lack of urgency could be more on the 911 dispatcher than lack of recruitment or any other excuses folks like you bring up because of how against police reform you really are -- and from all accounts, there isn't a lack of recruitment or a "Defund the police" narrative you can blame on this one...

Colorado Springs just elected its first non-Republican mayor in over 40 years and he's not even a Democrat; he's an independent.

I am willing to bet the lack of urgency could be more on the 911 dispatcher than lack of recruitment or any other excuses folks like you bring up because of how against police reform you really are -- and from all accounts, there isn't a lack of recruitment or a "Defund the police" narrative you can blame on this one...

Neither one of us know all the facts, do we?

Good reason for the Second Amendment, huh.

Forum List

Back