Pogo I got a question for you?

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
Pogo serious question. Why does baseball free agency move so slow? I’m a Mets fan as you may or may not know. The new owner is Steve Cohen (the hedged fund guy). Anyway he’s the wealthiest owner in baseball and the Mets were to supposed to sign great players this offseason. and everyday I check ESPN and they’ve done nada. What’s taking so long?

Last edited:
Pogo serious question. Why does baseball free agency move so slow? I’m a Mets fan as you may or may not know. The new owner is Steve Cohen (the hedged fund guy). Anyway he’s the wealthiest owner in baseball and the Mets were to supposed to sign great player, and everyday I check ESPN and they’ve done nada. What’s taking so long?

If you remember the Yankees in their heyday, they used to make exorbitant offers while nobody else was in the bidding.
Bidding against themselves.

After the COVID shortened 2020 season, many owners lost money. There will probably not be high bids on many free agents. Cohen is waiting for the market to play out before he makes his bid.

Last edited:
Pogo serious question. Why does baseball free agency move so slow? I’m a Mets fan as you may or may not know. The new owner is Steve Cohen (the hedged fund guy). Anyway he’s the wealthiest owner in baseball and the Mets were to supposed to sign great player, and everyday I check ESPN and they’ve done nada. What’s taking so long?

If you remember the Yankees in their hay day, they used to make exorbitant offers while nobody else was in the bidding.

After the COVID shortened 2020 season, many owners lost money. There will probably not be high bids on many free agents. Cohen is waiting for the market to play out before he makes his bid.

He should stop messing around and sign some stars. If he’s keeps on playing footsie with free agents I fear he’s going to turn some of these guys off.

If you remember the Yankees in their hay day, they used to make exorbitant offers while nobody else was in the bidding.

He should stop messing around and sign some stars. If he’s keeps on playing footsie with free agents I fear he’s going to turn some of these guys off.

You don’t want him playing George Steinbrenner
See what Springer and Trevor Bauer are getting on the open market and make a better offer. No agent is going to accept an offer without testing what Cohen is willing to pay

Every owner lost money last year and we will not have full stadiums in 2021. Don’t expect many bidders.
Why sign them to a big contract when nobody else is in the game?

Be patient
Wilpon is gone

Pogo serious question. Why does baseball free agency move so slow? I’m a Mets fan as you may or may not know. The new owner is Steve Cohen (the hedged fund guy). Anyway he’s the wealthiest owner in baseball and the Mets were to supposed to sign great players this offseason. and everyday I check ESPN and they’ve done nada. What’s taking so long?

What Rightwinger said. This offseason is a whole new ball game. Nobody wants to assume what a ceiling is since they all know everybody's ceiling has changed. It's just gonna depend on a lot of guesswork combined with how much risk teams X, Y or Z are willing to take. Either some of them are gonna lose their jerseys, or no FA is gonna get anything but a qualifying offer, or possibly just barely above.

You don’t want him playing George Steinbrenner
See what Springer and Trevor Bauer are getting on the open market and make a better offer. No agent is going to accept an offer without testing what Cohen is willing to pay

Every owner lost money last year and we will not have full stadiums in 2021. Don’t expect many bidders.
Why sign them to a big contract when nobody else is in the game?

Be patient
Wilpon is gone

I hope you’re right

I doubt if Cohen wants to run up payroll and pay a luxury tax.
He shouldn’t have to.
Cespedes $24 million a year is gone, Cano is suspended for the year and Mets don’t have to pay his $20 million.
That should pay for both Springer and Bauer.

I guess the league is dying without support of Americans....imagine that. And who the hell do you think Pogo is? John Motson ???
:auiqs.jpg:

I guess the league is dying without support of Americans....imagine that. And who the hell do you think Pogo is? John Motson ???

I don’t know who John Motson is. I asked Pogo because he loves baseball

I don’t know who John Motson is. I asked Pogo because he loves baseball

I'm the worlds biggest sports fan.

My bad

What Rightwinger said. This offseason is a whole new ball game. Nobody wants to assume what a ceiling is since they all know everybody's ceiling has changed. It's just gonna depend on a lot of guesswork combined with how much risk teams X, Y or Z are willing to take. Either some of them are gonna lose their jerseys, or no FA is gonna get anything but a qualifying offer, or possibly just barely above.
Maybe, maybe not. Mookie Betts got the second-largest contract in MLB history without even actually being a free agent. ($365M, 12 years)

Maybe, maybe not. Mookie Betts got the second-largest contract in MLB history without even actually being a free agent. ($365M, 12 years)

Future Hall of Fame-er.

So the Mets made one big trade and didn’t sign any big time free agent. What a letdown. Same old Mets.

Forum List

Back