Platform Holly Will Be Removed in SB Channel

I remember when the oil platforms weren't there. They ruin the coastline, visually. I watched the Goleta council on TV last night on how to proceed on the removal of the abandoned rig known as Holly. It's going to take some time, but some day the coast will be rid of the blight.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/la-me-platform-holly/

I take it you live in a cave and walk everywhere you go otherwise you're just another a hypocrite.
You don't have a clue what "a" hypocrite is. Moron.

Ho
But it’s OK to litter some of the most scenic landscapes on the country with hundreds of miles of wind turbines.
I’m not justifying abandoned oil rigs. But supporters of wind turbines have zero authority on the subject of aesthetics.
w aesthetically pleasing is the abandoned oil platform? And with memories of the Deep Water Horizon at the front of mind, why pick a fight with sustainable, non-polluting energy?

Your concern is aesthetics? I thought more of you, based on previous discussions. Why bring the cheap when you have more in your pocket?
I already stated that I’m not justifying oil rigs in the ocean. However, if the lesser of two problems is considered, oil rigs are nothing near as aesthetically disgusting as way more wind turbines.
If you consider what goes into making those windmills you’d be disgusted.
The noise from them gives you cancer. And the well shaft, millions of gallons of oil at the sea floor are just benign side effects of off shore drilling. When they rust and collapse, there is no hazard to navigation nor chance of the well leaking.
And when fossil fuel resource access is denied the price of all consumer goods rises and 3rd world people go from poverty to starvation. I don’t think the cancer risk is a concern for dead people.
Wind turbine creation is completely counterproductive in terms of carbine footprint.
Electrifying rural outposts all over the face of the planet is inevitable, but, practical by using wind, solar, geothermal and biomass. A mix of cheap, portable, logistically sustainable, non polluting energy generation.

Just as we have a grid powered by coal, natural gas, oil, nuclear, and hydroelectricity. By the way, wind, solar, geothermal, hydrogen fuel cells are on the grid now.

This story resonates all the way east to the upper Ohio River valley where I have spent the bulk of my life. When I was born, there were 48 states in the union, nothing had been blasted into orbit and the steel mills and strip mines were running full tilt. Three shifts a day.

When I was just graduating high school, the strip mines had scraped all the coal they could from 10s of thousands of acres in the Tri-State area, where Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia converge. Steel mills from Homestead down stream passed Ambridge, Aliquippa and Midland, Pennsylvania were downsizing at best, closing permanently at worst. Within another five years, just as I was earning my degree, there was only one division of one steel mill open.

We had the rusting hulks of blast furnaces, coke plants, foundries, sheet and bar mills, tank farms and slag piles. Not to mention a scared landscape that was rapidly eroding soil, clogging up streams.

We got rid of the industrial waste. The warning is, once that infrastructure is gone, it's never coming back. The soil reclamation efforts paid off. The hardwood forests need thirty or forty years to come back. With luck, I'll hike among tall oaks, poplar, wild cherry and hickories.

Cleaner is better. Especially after you have learned not to work in the mill but in something less brutal.

Oregon pretty well raped forests and they are finally returning after many decades.
Are the Oregonian is Whitetail Deer paradise. We are to deer hunting what Vail is to skiing. forests being rehabbed as a monoculture forest, or a diverse forest?

When the last of the drag lines pulled 110 cubic yard buckets across the land, it was 1980. For the next ten years the only trees planted after the land had been resculpted were White Pines. While the White Pine is native to this area, pines and conifers are a small percentage of our natural forest. Our forests are hardwood forests. Oaks, maples, locusts, hickories, wild cherry, walnut. Our woods are a cabinet maker's wet dream.

Only in the last thirty odd years have native species been coming back. The White Pines have been timbered out.

And the change has been reflected in the deer population. This part of the country is Whitetail Deer paradise. Hunting is to this region as skiing is to Vail.

The diverse forest is where the deer forage during the rut in late October. Deer season opens the day after Thanksgiving. And the hunters are thrilled with the game.

This story resonates all the way east to the upper Ohio River valley where I have spent the bulk of my life. When I was born, there were 48 states in the union, nothing had been blasted into orbit and the steel mills and strip mines were running full tilt. Three shifts a day.

When I was just graduating high school, the strip mines had scraped all the coal they could from 10s of thousands of acres in the Tri-State area, where Pennsylvania, Ohio and West Virginia converge. Steel mills from Homestead down stream passed Ambridge, Aliquippa and Midland, Pennsylvania were downsizing at best, closing permanently at worst. Within another five years, just as I was earning my degree, there was only one division of one steel mill open.

We had the rusting hulks of blast furnaces, coke plants, foundries, sheet and bar mills, tank farms and slag piles. Not to mention a scared landscape that was rapidly eroding soil, clogging up streams.

We got rid of the industrial waste. The warning is, once that infrastructure is gone, it's never coming back. The soil reclamation efforts paid off. The hardwood forests need thirty or forty years to come back. With luck, I'll hike among tall oaks, poplar, wild cherry and hickories.

Cleaner is better. Especially after you have learned not to work in the mill but in something less brutal.

Oregon pretty well raped forests and they are finally returning after many decades.
Are the Oregonian is Whitetail Deer paradise. We are to deer hunting what Vail is to skiing. forests being rehabbed as a monoculture forest, or a diverse forest?

When the last of the drag lines pulled 110 cubic yard buckets across the land, it was 1980. For the next ten years the only trees planted after the land had been resculpted were White Pines. While the White Pine is native to this area, pines and conifers are a small percentage of our natural forest. Our forests are hardwood forests. Oaks, maples, locusts, hickories, wild cherry, walnut. Our woods are a cabinet maker's wet dream.

Only in the last thirty odd years have native species been coming back. The White Pines have been timbered out.

And the change has been reflected in the deer population. This part of the country is Whitetail Deer paradise. Hunting is to this region as skiing is to Vail.

The diverse forest is where the deer forage during the rut in late October. Deer season opens the day after Thanksgiving. And the hunters are thrilled with the game.

In the 60's we moved to Oregon from Alaska, my father was an avid hunter. He went hunting once in Oregon came home put his gun in the closet and said too many nuts out there and he never hunted again.

I hunt for rocks in Oregon, Thunder Eggs, Agates, Opal, Quartz, Jasper and other rocks. That is my kind of hunting. I find the Windmill Farms offensive.

Ho
But it’s OK to litter some of the most scenic landscapes on the country with hundreds of miles of wind turbines.
I’m not justifying abandoned oil rigs. But supporters of wind turbines have zero authority on the subject of aesthetics.
w aesthetically pleasing is the abandoned oil platform? And with memories of the Deep Water Horizon at the front of mind, why pick a fight with sustainable, non-polluting energy?

Your concern is aesthetics? I thought more of you, based on previous discussions. Why bring the cheap when you have more in your pocket?
I already stated that I’m not justifying oil rigs in the ocean. However, if the lesser of two problems is considered, oil rigs are nothing near as aesthetically disgusting as way more wind turbines.
The noise from them gives you cancer. And the well shaft, millions of gallons of oil at the sea floor are just benign side effects of off shore drilling. When they rust and collapse, there is no hazard to navigation nor chance of the well leaking.
And when fossil fuel resource access is denied the price of all consumer goods rises and 3rd world people go from poverty to starvation. I don’t think the cancer risk is a concern for dead people.
Wind turbine creation is completely counterproductive in terms of carbine footprint.
Electrifying rural outposts all over the face of the planet is inevitable, but, practical by using wind, solar, geothermal and biomass. A mix of cheap, portable, logistically sustainable, non polluting energy generation.

Just as we have a grid powered by coal, natural gas, oil, nuclear, and hydroelectricity. By the way, wind, solar, geothermal, hydrogen fuel cells are on the grid now.
Totally inefficient.
A complete political scam.

Ho

Totally inefficient.
There is an NGO in India distributing little solar panels, about the size of a cookie sheet. These little panels on the roof of huts in rural India are changing that nation. These panels recharge storage batteries that then power LED lights. The villagers say their day has been extended. They can devote a few more hours to productivity. With cell phones, villagers can communicate with each other. They exchange information about their crops and current market prices.

If India relied only on fossil fuels, their pollution would increase, there would have to be hundreds more fossil fuel plants, the transmission infrastructure would have to be engineered, resources would be strained.

But the Indians are finding smart ways to electrify the subcontinent.

Totally inefficient.
There is an NGO in India distributing little solar panels, about the size of a cookie sheet. These little panels on the roof of huts in rural India are changing that nation. These panels recharge storage batteries that then power LED lights. The villagers say their day has been extended. They can devote a few more hours to productivity. With cell phones, villagers can communicate with each other. They exchange information about their crops and current market prices.

If India relied only on fossil fuels, their pollution would increase, there would have to be hundreds more fossil fuel plants, the transmission infrastructure would have to be engineered, resources would be strained.

Roofs of huts.
LED lights are ugly and are for those with no taste.

Totally inefficient.

Roofs of huts.
Here's your choice. Sit inside with a flickering oil lamp, or turn on the LEDs.

I'm not trying to appeal to your aesthetic sense. I'm appealing to your common sense.

Totally inefficient.

Roofs of huts.
Here's your choice. Sit inside with a flickering oil lamp, or turn on the LEDs.

I'm not trying to appeal to your aesthetic sense. I'm appealing to your common sense.
I like incandescent bulbs. More ambience. It's a taste thing.

It will probably do more harm to the environment to remove one of these things then it's worth. Why not leave it and spend the money on something useful?
If you are referring to dismantling of the ABANDONED platform, you should know that it will create jobs. Between 6-10 years worth is anticipated. The local company I work for will be bidding on contracts, as well.

Forum List

Back