Plan to Cut Corporate Tax Rate to 15%

Well, with corporate tax rates going down, they will have less incentive to invest in tax deductible R&D and expansion, so it will make sense if business expansion and job growth slows.

Umm.. decisions regarding investment are based on risk/reward not solely whether or not it's deductible, a lower effective rate generally speaking means higher returns (reward) and thus (in many cases) makes investment more likely.

In other words... if I invest X amount today for Y amount of returns tomorrow, with lower effective rates Y has a lower tax exposure and thus a higher reward over the lifetime of the investment.

If I only get to deduct X once (or depreciate it over a schedule) but have to pay a higher effective rate on Y over the lifetime of the investment then the reward (possibly) isn't going to be as attractive versus the risk.

It really depends on the details of the nature of the investment and the current financial position of the company in question but IMHO more than likely it would stimulate CapEx in the aggregate.
but IMHO more than likely it would stimulate CapEx in the aggregate.
Those capital expenditures may actually cost jobs if spent on automation technologies.
That's certainly possible, however automation itself creates jobs since somebody has to design, engineer, build, sell and maintain the machines, so while automation *may* result in a net loss of jobs it's not certain and often the result is higher paying (and more stable) jobs. The other consideration is that automation most often leads to higher productivity which increases economic output thus making the economic pie bigger for everybody.
Those of us who've made a career out of increasing efficiency via technological means are disgusted that upper management have sucked up the fruits of that efficiency for themselves.
Is that your way of saying that you think your employer under-compensates you for your labor?
Yes, I do. It's probably easy for someone who doesn't deal with complex technology to believe that engineers are a generic commodity and that whatever needs to be done could be done in China or India just as well for a lot less money. Fortunately for me, they've found that's not the case but unfortunately, they've screwed up the processes that we use to the point where job satisfaction and productivity have reached rock-bottom. But as long as they can sell stock to people who understand even less than they do, their bonuses never seem to suffer.

Tax rate is the topic here not supply & demand.
When more people are hired as a result of a lower tax rate more people have disposable income which is spent.

What makes a company hire more employees just because they don't have to spend as much on taxes?

with taxes eliminated companies would be able to expand, growing companies need more employees, its really not complicated.

Why would a company expand if the demand for their products have not increased?
You seem a bit slow.

Tax cuts WILL NOT LEAD TO LOWER PRICES.

They WILL lead to reinvestment

Reality says otherwise. Corporations are currently sitting on nearly $2 trillion in cash. That's $2 trillion in cash just sitting there not being reinvested. This sort of takes the winds out of the sails of the "We need to cut taxes so that corporations have more cash to reinvest" argument, doesn't it?

The bottom line is that corporate profits are breaking records almost every quarter, and the corporate world is hoarding nearly $2 trillion in cash. At the same time we have our national debt to address. Given these facts, the worst possible fiscal policy I can imagine would be a steep corporate tax cut. It isn't needed, and it would only serve to pour fire on other problems that we face.

that money is in foreign banks to avoid paying US corporate taxes on foreign operations. Remove the tax on foreign operations and that money would come back and be spent here.

It's probably easy for someone who doesn't deal with complex technology to believe that engineers are a generic commodity and that whatever needs to be done could be done in China or India just as well for a lot less money
Wouldn't know, since I've been an engineer that deals with complex technology for 30 years and don't have any complaints regarding how my employer treats me or compensates me, win-win situation.

they've screwed up the processes that we use to the point where job satisfaction and productivity have reached rock-bottom.
Then go find a different job, opportunities are abundant for experienced engineers.

It's probably easy for someone who doesn't deal with complex technology to believe that engineers are a generic commodity and that whatever needs to be done could be done in China or India just as well for a lot less money
Wouldn't know, since I've been an engineer that deals with complex technology for 30 years and don't have any complaints regarding how my employer treats me or compensates me, win-win situation.

they've screwed up the processes that we use to the point where job satisfaction and productivity have reached rock-bottom.
Then go find a different job, opportunities are abundant for experienced engineers.
It's in the works. I'm curious though what kind of an engineer you are who thinks that finding a new job is easy. My job is incredibly specialized and for reasons I don't want to make public, moving is not an option. Is that what you mean - move somewhere else for another job?

It's in the works. I'm curious though what kind of an engineer you are who thinks that finding a new job is easy. My job is incredibly specialized and for reasons I don't want to make public, moving is not an option. Is that what you mean - move somewhere else for another job?
Systems, Networks and Software (DevOps) with a EEE and yes my experience is that opportunities for experienced engineers are fairly plentiful (I get unsolicited offers quite regularly and that's been the case for a while, I also interact with many other engineers in my field that have similar views and experiences with respect to employment opportunities).

I'm not suggesting you have to move to find opportunities (although it really depends on the dynamics of your home market), as (for example) virtual organizations (i.e. telecommuting) has become quite common especially for technical disciplines, if you approach finding a new job as if it were a job then IMHO the chances are quite good you'll do fine and get exactly what you want.

The point was that if you're in a position where you feel that the mutually agreed upon price for your labor is too low (and re-negotiation has failed or isn't available) and/or working conditions are otherwise unsatisfactory it's incumbent upon you to take action on your behalf, your employer doesn't owe you anything beyond that mutually agreed upon price for your labor regardless of how well the business is doing or what the compensation for its suits amounts to.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/us/politics/trump-corporate-tax-rate-15-percent.html?_r=0

This plan sounds great!

With all the money saved by corporations, think of how many new jobs they will create!!! Plus the price of EVERYTHING will go down!!!

This is a WIN for the AMERICAN PEOPLE!!

Any thoughts?
If you live in a white trash country, which voted overwhelmingly for Trump and you find your life better because the rich are getting richer and Trump's promises are connecting to you, than yes, its a win. But you know and I know, talk is not only cheap, it doesn't pay bills or put food on the table....but as long as red necks are happy, hey, more power!!!

In a few more months, reality will sink in and idiots will wake up.....no infastructure bill is coming, no mega jobs from China, no wage increases, Trump is gonna make you idiots life a living hell in a few more months, you'll see

Trickle down has never ever ever ever ever ever worked.

Yes, it did work. Govt handouts, excessive govt dont work. O spent a trillion on a supposed stimulus bill for infrastructure but nothing was ever fixed except his buddies bank accounts. Taxpayer was fleeced once again.

Systems, Networks and Software (DevOps) with a EEE and yes my experience is that opportunities for experienced engineers are fairly plentiful (I get unsolicited offers quite regularly and that's been the case for a while, I also interact with many other engineers in my field that have similar views and experiences with respect to employment opportunities).

I'm not suggesting you have to move to find opportunities (although it really depends on the dynamics of your home market), as (for example) virtual organizations (i.e. telecommuting) has become quite common especially for technical disciplines, if you approach finding a new job as if it were a job then IMHO the chances are quite good you'll do fine and get exactly what you want.

The point was that if you're in a position where you feel that the mutually agreed upon price for your labor is too low (and re-negotiation has failed or isn't available) and/or working conditions are otherwise unsatisfactory it's incumbent upon you to take action on your behalf, your employer doesn't owe you anything beyond that mutually agreed upon price for your labor regardless of how well the business is doing or what the compensation for its suits amounts to.
Networking is pretty generic and I can imagine that there are quite a few opportunities in that. I don't find it interesting personally but I do envy the plentitude of jobs in that field.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/24/us/politics/trump-corporate-tax-rate-15-percent.html?_r=0

This plan sounds great!

With all the money saved by corporations, think of how many new jobs they will create!!! Plus the price of EVERYTHING will go down!!!

Any thoughts?
Prices won't go down but investment & hiring will likely result.

How?

Hire for what purpose?
Post like this expose mass ignorance

This plan sounds great!

Any thoughts?
That's why Democrats hate it

You love it because your owners told you to.
And, you want to pay more and get nothing.

To the OP - read it. It's not a "plan". There are a few talking points but no substance.

It's a great gift to dump, his family and other 1%. Jobs? Find any example of where it has added jobs.

Death tax? Anyone here believe the end of the death tax will do anything at all for you?

Dig deep. If this passes, you'll need to.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Just FYI: my OP was intended to be facetious. I don't agree that tax cuts will be beneficial at all.
I guess you're one of those people who think that the money that is saved will be stuffed in a mattress and never enter the system.

Astonishing how ignorant some people can be.

This plan sounds great!

Any thoughts?

How?

Hire for what purpose?

You could simply expand on your idea in a way that answers the question.

This plan sounds great!

Any thoughts?

How?

Hire for what purpose?

I already did. I'm not going to explain it every time a new dumbass who doesn't understand economics comes along and quotes me.

Perhaps a high school economics class could help you out.

This plan sounds great!

Any thoughts?

How?

Hire for what purpose?

I already did. I'm not going to explain it every time a new dumbass who doesn't understand economics comes along and quotes me.

Perhaps a high school economics class could help you out.

So, nothing then?
I saw you post and you only offered a spurious claim.

Networking is pretty generic and I can imagine that there are quite a few opportunities in that. I don't find it interesting personally but I do envy the plentitude of jobs in that field.
Yeah there are sub specializations to suit one's tastes but it's not for everybody.

Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck in your search and hope you find something that gives you everything you're looking for and more!

Yeah there are sub specializations to suit one's tastes but it's not for everybody.

Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck in your search and hope you find something that gives you everything you're looking for and more!
Thanks, man! I appreciate it. Same to you.

Forum List

Back