Pilot shortage

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

Especially acute has been the shortage of pilots. According to one flight consultancy, U.S. airlines are trying to hire at least 12,000 pilots combined this year.

“The pilot shortage for the industry is real, and most airlines are simply not going to be able to realize their capacity plans because there simply aren’t enough pilots, at least not for the next five-plus years,” United Airlines CEO Scott Kirby said on a quarterly earnings call in April.

One more blow to the economy, this will impact even package delivery and not just travel.

While some will be happy to blame the current Admin "too much unemployment money" or who knows what, there is no quick fix for this and there might be no fix at all.

We use planes the way many countries use trains and that may not be a sustainable action in the future. The time and money involved in training a pilot that can fly a commercial airliner is extensive and not one most people can afford and not something the airlines are willing to foot the bill for totally.

Especially acute has been the shortage of pilots. According to one flight consultancy, U.S. airlines are trying to hire at least 12,000 pilots combined this year.

“The pilot shortage for the industry is real, and most airlines are simply not going to be able to realize their capacity plans because there simply aren’t enough pilots, at least not for the next five-plus years,” United Airlines CEO Scott Kirby said on a quarterly earnings call in April.

One more blow to the economy, this will impact even package delivery and not just travel.

While some will be happy to blame the current Admin "too much unemployment money" or who knows what, there is no quick fix for this and there might be no fix at all.

We use planes the way many countries use trains and that may not be a sustainable action in the future. The time and money involved in training a pilot that can fly a commercial airliner is extensive and not one most people can afford and not something the airlines are willing to foot the bill for totally.
How many were grounded for not submitting to the jab????

Seen this before....next up, shortage of military pilots as they get out at 6 years to go to the airlines.

Seen this before....next up, shortage of military pilots as they get out at 6 years to go to the airlines.

Or the military will up the bonus they get each year for staying in

Of course they will. But people are stupid. The pandemic labor shortage has nothing to do with unemployment benefits. Those have long evaporated and as we see the labor market hasn't changed. Aside from families who have simply restructured their lives to re-adopt a single income/stay-at-home-parent lifestyles the driving force behind the current labor market is early retirees.

The airline industries are one of the places that have been hit hardest with this, as most of the big airlines attempted to deal with the early bottoming out of demand by offering juicy early retirement incentives. But it ended up being overcompensation because far more pilots and flight attendants took up the offers than were expected. And because FAA regulations have very strict rules about air crew requirements, the shortage for in-air crew is all the more difficult for the airlines to cope with until replacements are found. Flight Attendants are comparatively easy to replace, as they are relatively well paying jobs that don't require a college degree, and come with the fringe benefit of lots of travel, so hiring surges have helped them deal with that problem. But pilots are harder, as the training is much longer and would-be pilots have to invest six figures of personal money.

Pretty much none. United fired 6 out of more than 13,000. And they fired more than most.

You will have to try again
I just asked the qwestion, I have no idea.

The more flight delays means way more pissed off people. I'm all in for that

12,000 is an amazing number. Lots of moving pieces and considerations there. Reminds me of the Harvard School of Business, airline industry management game exercise, we played, back in college.

Or the military will up the bonus they get each year for staying in
I've got a friend who's a senior four-striper with American, and he pulls in about $300K a year. The military isn't about to bone-up with bonuses big enough to make that kind of salary unattractive to a young pilot.

My friend's son, who's going to be 23, just graduated from SUNY Farmingdale. A small, regional airline in the midwest offered him a job before he even had his diploma. Now, both Delta and American have made him offers...

I've got a friend who's a senior four-striper with American, and he pulls in about $300K a year. The military isn't about to bone-up with bonuses big enough to make that kind of salary unattractive to a young pilot.

My friend's son, who's going to be 23, just graduated from SUNY Farmingdale. A small, regional airline in the midwest offered him a job before he even had his diploma. Now, both Delta and American have made him offers...

True they cannot match the money. But a fighter pilot in the Marines can get a 280,000 bonus for reupping. And there is a thrill to flying an F35 or F18 that one does not get with a commercial jetliner

Uncle sam gives some pretty good bonuses for pilots to stay in another hitch. My neighbor said his son got $250K to reup as an Osprey pilot which he was already planning to do anyway.

True they cannot match the money. But a fighter pilot in the Marines can get a 280,000 bonus for reupping. And there is a thrill to flying an F35 or F18 that one does not get with a commercial jetliner

Um, $280,000?

I think you'd better check your figures. I can't imagine a fighter pilot being given a bonus like that...

I was surprised to see them that high. When I got out in 09 they were in the 70 to 80 grand range if my memory serves me correctly .
I was enlisted; a sonar tech.

My first reenlistment bonus was $16,000 in 1985. I wasn't even 23. I'd never seen that much money before...

I was enlisted; a sonar tech.

My first reenlistment bonus was $16,000 in 1985. I wasn't even 23. I'd never seen that much money before...

I was also enlisted but did Operations for a flying squadron for a few years.

Did 20 and never got a bonus other than the great pay! ;)

I was also enlisted but did Operations for a flying squadron for a few years.

Did 20 and never got a bonus other than the great pay! ;)

And don't forget the fabulous cuisine!

I got a reenlistment bonus at the four year and eight year marks. After that, they figured I wasn't going anywhere.

I did 20 (Navy) and retired in January of 2001...

Forum List

Back