Pickled onions

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Need some help guys.
We are doing a "12 days of Christmas" at work. People double up and bring meals every day.
Me and a buddy teamed up. I am making smoked ham sliders with a pineapple aioli and pickled onions. He is pairing it with potato soup.
I have tried pickling onions before(panera bread turned me on to it) and it didnt turn out too well. They stayed too crispy and were too oniony. That was even after resting in the fridge for a couple days..
I am thinking maybe i need to cook the onions a bit? I did last time but only for a couple minutes in a skillet. Maybe cook them until they are almost soft?
IDK

Need some help guys.
We are doing a "12 days of Christmas" at work. People double up and bring meals every day.
Me and a buddy teamed up. I am making smoked ham sliders with a pineapple aioli and pickled onions. He is pairing it with potato soup.
I have tried pickling onions before(panera bread turned me on to it) and it didnt turn out too well. They stayed too crispy and were too oniony. That was even after resting in the fridge for a couple days..
I am thinking maybe i need to cook the onions a bit? I did last time but only for a couple minutes in a skillet. Maybe cook them until they are almost soft?
IDK
I've never made pickles, but the first hit I got on pickled onions says if you want them soft, slice them really thin. Like 1/8 inch. Make sure your pickling brine is really hot, too, I'd imagine. Boiling.

Also, use white onions, which are milder than yellow or red. And the freshest ones you can find. They all get stronger as they age. Any farmers markets still open down your way?

Slice your onions then submerse them in cold water for 20 min. - 1hr.

Need some help guys.
IDK
I've never made pickles, but the first hit I got on pickled onions says if you want them soft, slice them really thin. Like 1/8 inch. Make sure your pickling brine is really hot, too, I'd imagine. Boiling.

I did both of those last time.

Need some help guys.
IDK

I've pickled red onions in a mixture of sugar, salt, warm water, and apple cider vinegar. Mix it up and lest the onions rest in it for an hour before you pickle them. They've normally come out very tasty. And last for a few weeks in the fridge.
Just make sure to slice the onions really thin. Invest in a good mandoline slicer. Not a cheap one.

Need some help guys.
IDK

Good luck then.

Need some help guys.
IDK

I've pickled red onions in a mixture of sugar, salt, warm water, and apple cider vinegar. Mix it up and lest the onions rest in it for an hour before you pickle them. They've normally come out very tasty. And last for a few weeks in the fridge.
Just make sure to slice the onions really thin. Invest in a good mandoline slicer. Not a cheap one.
By "before you pickle them" i assume you mean adding pickling spice?

Need some help guys.
IDK

Good luck then.
IKR? Thats my problem
Maybe panera bread will sell me a bag lol

Need some help guys.
IDK

I usually slow cook anything I pickle inside the jars by placing them in a pan of simmering water on the stove. I cook everything for at least 20-30 mins to kill off any jerms or bacteria and I put the cap on loosely while this is cooking. Then when I take them out of the hot water I screw down the caps tight so that it creates a vacuum. My mom used a pressure cooker....but I just use a big enough pan to cover 2/3rds of the jar. I pickle eggs alot....and they turn out pretty good in about 2-3 weeks. I've never pickled onions. I usually buy those.

Need some help guys.
IDK

I usually slow cook anything I pickle inside the jars by placing them in a pan of simmering water on the stove. I cook everything for at least 20-30 mins to kill off any jerms or bacteria and I put the cap on loosely while this is cooking. Then when I take them out of the hot water I screw down the caps tight so that it creates a vacuum. My mom used a pressure cooker....but I just use a big enough pan to cover 2/3rds of the jar. I pickle eggs alot....and they turn out pretty good in about 2-3 weeks. I've never pickled onions. I usually buy those.
Where do you buy pickled onions?!!

Need some help guys.
IDK

Sorry. I meant before you put them in a jar to store them. Incorrect use of terminology.
I slice the onions up and leave them to sit in the mixture for an hour in a large ceramic bowl before I put them in a jar.

Need some help guys.
IDK

Sorry. I meant before you put them in a jar to store them. Incorrect use of terminology.
I slice the onions up and leave them to sit in the mixture for an hour in a large ceramic bowl before I put them in a jar.
I asked because last time i used pickling spice and i dont think i am going to this time.
Thanks.

Slice your onions then submerse them in cold water for 20 min. - 1hr.
What will that do? Will i still need to cook them?

It will take out some of that 'onion' bite. Do everything the same after that.
Would you suggest cooking them until almost soft?
Not too close to "almost soft." You don't want to make baby food.
Good point lol. I will just do it a bit longer than a couple minutes like i did last time.

Our day is the 14th. Guess i will go ahead and start trying now. So after a couple screw ups, i will figure it out lol

Forum List

Back