Peyton Manning vs. Tom Brady

A number on this thread have been calling that argument weak. [

"The earth is flat."

I seem to remember there was a time when a lot of people argued that, as well...

It cannot stand on its own.

Sure it can. It's the one thing that separates them. A great quarterback will find what he needs to win with what he has available to him. Marino and Fouts never did that...

If Montana played for the Lions all his career we would not be reading about how he was among the greatest, and surely no rings.

You can't say that with any degree of certainty.

The Buccaneers had nine straight losing seasons (and some of them downright dismal) through 2019. Their win-loss record through those years was 62 wins to 165 losses. They were just a horribly shitty football team.

Then they won the Super Bowl in 2020.

What was the difference? They brought in a great quarterback.

Without Brady, that losing team (and that's what they were) wouldn't have won the Super Bowl that year...

"

Tom Brady regular season records​

• Games started (316)
  • Wins by a starting quarterback (243)
  • Passing yards (84,520)
  • Passing touchdowns (624)
  • Completions (7,263)
  • Touchdowns thrown to different receivers (82)
  • Division titles (18)
  • Pro Bowl appearances (15)
  • Oldest player to win NFL MVP (40 years old)
  • Oldest player to be named First-Team All-Pro (40 years old)
  • Seasons with one team (20, Patriots)
  • Only player to beat all 32 NFL teams

Tom Brady postseason records​

• Games started (47)
  • Wins by a starting quarterback (35)
  • Consecutive playoff wins (10, from 2001-2005)
  • Passing yards (13,049)
  • Passing yards in a game (505)
  • Passing touchdowns (86)
  • Interceptions (38)
  • Completions (1,165)
  • Multi-touchdown passing games (27)
  • Game-winning drives (14)
  • Conference championship appearances (14)
  • Conference championship wins (10)

Tom Brady Super Bowl records​

• Super Bowl appearances (10)
  • Super Bowl wins (7, more than any NFL franchise)
  • Super Bowl MVPs (5)
  • Touchdown passes (21)
  • Passing yards (3,039)
  • Completions (277)
  • Pass attempts (421)
  • Passing yards in a game (505)
  • Completions in a game (43)
  • Pass attempts in a game (62)
  • Game-winning drives (6)"

They brought in three former Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinators from the Peyton era: Buccaneers head coach Bruce Arians, offensive assistant Tom Moore and quarterback coach Clyde Christensen. 😉

Yeaaaahhh... not so much...

people don't remember: had Patriots starting QB Drew Bledsoe, who had just signed a multi-year big money contract with the team, not suffered a life-threatening injury in 2001, Tom Brady would never have gotten the starting role that year, and who knows, might have never gotten it with the Patriots. luck plays a big role in life, my friends!

(Bledsoe was running harmlessly to the Patriots sideline during a game, when he was savagely blasted by Jets Linebacker Mo Lewis...it was so violent that players on the Patriots sideline compared the collision to a car crash)

people don't remember: had Patriots starting QB Drew Bledsoe, who had just signed a multi-year big money contract with the team, not suffered a life-threatening injury in 2001, Tom Brady would never have gotten the starting role that year, and who knows, might have never gotten it with the Patriots. luck plays a big role in life, my friends!

(Bledsoe was running harmlessly to the Patriots sideline during a game, when he was savagely blasted by Jets Linebacker Mo Lewis...it was so violent that players on the Patriots sideline compared the collision to a car crash)

Being a lifelong Jets fan I remember that quite well.

Bledsoe was hit near the sideline, but he wasn't trying to get out of bounds. When Lewis hit him, Bledsoe was lowering his left shoulder and fading to his left. Had he continued out of bounds it would have been a glancing blow, at best...

They brought in three former Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinators from the Peyton era: Buccaneers head coach Bruce Arians, offensive assistant Tom Moore and quarterback coach Clyde Christensen. 😉

And they still don't get a ring if Brady's not the quarterback.

Brady made them look good, not the other way around...

Being a lifelong Jets fan I remember that quite well.

Bledsoe was hit near the sideline, but he wasn't trying to get out of bounds. When Lewis hit him, Bledsoe was lowering his left shoulder and fading to his left. Had he continued out of bounds it would have been a glancing blow, at best...
it was an injury unlike anything ever seen in a professional athlete

Isn't it crazy? It's like had Trent Green not been injured, Kurt Warner would have continued to ride the bench and never get to shred the NFL in the early 2000's.

I don't want to take away from Tom, I think regardless he would have waited his turn behind Drew Bledsoe and after a few years later earned the starting job... but, that tuck rule game was basically Brady's ticket to be thrust into a situation he didn't earn, and he game-managed a historically defensive team to a super bowl, and the team changed gears. Bledsoe could have easily out-performed Brady had he stayed healthy.

Comparing Peyton Manning vs Tom Brady individual statistics during their careers of playing in the league at the same time (2000-2010; 2012-2015):

Screenshot_20220908-100630_Brave.jpg

Screenshot_20220908-100740_Brave.jpg

By unanimous decision, the winner is: Peyton Fuckin' Manning!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back