How Stupid are Pre-Season Rankings in College Football...

Mr. Friscus

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2020
... especially in today's game, where every good player was drafted last year.

Basically, it's a way for the snooty power colleges to start at the top so when they lose they don't drop as far as others.

Truth be told, I'm a Michigan fan. We're preseason ranked 6. OSU is preseason ranked 2. Why? Based off what?

How does that matter? Well, if they lose week one, they go down to 5, if Michigan loses week one, they go down to 10.

Such BS

Pre-season rankings are just another way to make more money off college football during the offseason.
Bu they also do exactly what you said- allow a highly ranked team to stay relevant even after an early season loss.
Only a handful of schools have a realistic shot at winning the NC any year & they generally pack the top of the pre-season rankings

Pre-season rankings are just another way to make more money off college football during the offseason.
Bu they also do exactly what you said- allow a highly ranked team to stay relevant even after an early season loss.
Only a handful of schools have a realistic shot at winning the NC any year & they generally pack the top of the pre-season rankings
It's just a shame how obvious it is, and how nobody is ashamed of what they're doing.

Like... wait until week 4 when we know which teams are actually "good" and deserving of a top ranking.

The biggest part of the preseason polls is about the players coming back.

For example, the Crimson Tide's QB won the Heisman last year. So it is a safe bet he will be as good, or better, this year. Is it guaranteed? No. But a good bet.

Some teams will have had their top players graduate or go to the NFL.

The preseason polls are guessing games. That is why the poll that matters, the Playoff Poll, doesn't come out with the first rankings until Nov 2nd. Those are the rankings that decide who makes the playoffs. So they are the ones that matter.

That is why the poll that matters, the Playoff Poll, doesn't come out with the first rankings until Nov 2nd. Those are the rankings that decide who makes the playoffs. So they are the ones that matter.
They/you can say that, but I say it's bullshit.. it's skewed by narrative that was began in the pre-season.

It’s an opinion. You don’t need data or observations for an opinion. It all works out in the end. Mostly.

... especially in today's game, where every good player was drafted last year.

Basically, it's a way for the snooty power colleges to start at the top so when they lose they don't drop as far as others.

Truth be told, I'm a Michigan fan. We're preseason ranked 6. OSU is preseason ranked 2. Why? Based off what?

How does that matter? Well, if they lose week one, they go down to 5, if Michigan loses week one, they go down to 10.

Such BS
It is Alabama vs Who in the National Championship game?

And will it even matter who?

It's been this way for a while now, at least the last 100 years or so.

Oh, that's right, Georgia won it all last year as they beat Alabama in the big game cuz Coach satan said it was a rebuilding year.

My bad.

It is Alabama vs Who in the National Championship game?

And will it even matter who?

It's been this way for a while now, at least the last 100 years or so.

Oh, that's right, Georgia won it all last year as they beat Alabama in the big game cuz Coach satan said it was a rebuilding year.

My bad.

100 years? lol Before Saban got there in 2007, Alabama hadn't been relevant in years.

Forum List

Back