Pete Rose probably would have broke Joe Dimaggio's record

LA RAM FAN

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2008
I say that he probably would have BECAUSE after he left the Reds and went to the Phillies,he wrote a book about his career with the Reds. The night his hitting streak ended,he was facing a pitcher from the Atlanta Braves he had never faced before named Gene Garber who stopped his hitting streak at 46 games,ten shy of Diamond Joe.

In his book,I remember reading that during his hitting streak,he sad that he hoped that he would not have to face a pitcher he had never faced before since if he never faced them before,he didnt have an idea what they liked to pitch. He said he hated facing a pitcher for the first time. Well Gene Garber was that pitcher he had never faced in his career before on that night when he went o for 4.

Had he not faced a pitcher in Garber that he had never faced before,I have to believe that as long as he kept facing pitchers he had faced before,he would have broken the record.

I mean i have the playoffs on tape when he was with the Phillies and the playoff games were against the Houston Astros and in the game that Nolan Ryan started,who was always a nightmare for hitters,he mowed down all the Phillies hitters only giving up like 4 hits the whole game the Astros won. and to no surprise, Rose was the ONLY hitter in the lineup who a hit off Ryan in his FIRST at bat against him. I mean he hit Nolan RYAN. Ryan was not given the nickname the Ryan Express for nothing you know.Rose could hit the best of them. That was just his one weakness he had in hitting was facing a pitcher for the first time.

we of course will never know for sure if he would have broken it that year but it just makes you think WHAT IF? sucks not being able to know for sure what would have happened doesnt it?

Nobody will ever come as close to Joes record as Rose did.he was a hitting machine that had a passion for playing that game like no other baseball hitter ever in the game.

I say that he probably would have BECAUSE after he left the Reds and went to the Phillies,he wrote a book about his career with the Reds. The night his hitting streak ended,he was facing a pitcher from the Atlanta Braves he had never faced before named Gene Garber who stopped his hitting streak at 46 games,ten shy of Diamond Joe.

In his book,I remember reading that during his hitting streak,he sad that he hoped that he would not have to face a pitcher he had never faced before since if he never faced them before,he didnt have an idea what they liked to pitch. He said he hated facing a pitcher for the first time. Well Gene Garber was that pitcher he had never faced in his career before on that night when he went o for 4.

Had he not faced a pitcher in Garber that he had never faced before,I have to believe that as long as he kept facing pitchers he had faced before,he would have broken the record.

I mean i have the playoffs on tape when he was with the Phillies and the playoff games were against the Houston Astros and in the game that Nolan Ryan started,who was always a nightmare for hitters,he mowed down all the Phillies hitters only giving up like 4 hits the whole game the Astros won. and to no surprise, Rose was the ONLY hitter in the lineup who a hit off Ryan in his FIRST at bat against him. I mean he hit Nolan RYAN. Ryan was not given the nickname the Ryan Express for nothing you know.Rose could hit the best of them. That was just his one weakness he had in hitting was facing a pitcher for the first time.

we of course will never know for sure if he would have broken it that year but it just makes you think WHAT IF? sucks not being able to know for sure what would have happened doesnt it?

Nobody will ever come as close to Joes record as Rose did.he was a hitting machine that had a passion for playing that game like no other baseball hitter ever in the game.
Achilles had a weakness, everyone does..

Pete got kinda fucked. I for one am a big fan of "Mr. Baseball."

The Pete Rose dive. That took a lot of balls, seriously.

He was a great player that knew the game.

if he could hit the best of them he could of hit a pitcher he never faced before.....you sound like you wanted these guys to slow pitch to him so he could break the record.....

if he could hit the best of them he could of hit a pitcher he never faced before.....you sound like you wanted these guys to slow pitch to him so he could break the record.....
The chance he got was-? :rolleyes:

i was commenting on the ram fan wanting it to be made easy for him to break the record.....

i was commenting on the ram fan wanting it to be made easy for him to break the record.....

Pete Rose had talent, moreso than Johnny Bench, true story.

Pete Rose had talent, moreso than Johnny Bench, true story.
whatever that has to do with a 56 game hitting streak is beyond me MM...

Pete got kinda fucked. I for one am a big fan of "Mr. Baseball."

The Pete Rose dive. That took a lot of balls, seriously.

He was a great player that knew the game.

Yeah he was the one who invented it in the modern era.No modern day era player would go out and CONSISTANTLY sacrifice his body like he did diving in head first like that. prime example of how he had a passion for the game like no other.you dont see players in this modern day and age do that anymore.

In that playoff game against the Phillies while playing first base,he actually DOVE in FOUL TERRITORY for a foul ball and foul territory of course is where the ground on the stadium was harder than the rest of the ballpark. George Brett was also like him as well playing the game with passion and always sacrificing his body like that.

Rose deserves a place in the Hall of Fame. :fu::funnyface:
:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::thankusmile::udaman:

I've been to Cooperstown twice and refused to go to the hall because he isn't in it.

I am really dissapointed with all the other hall of famers that have been inducted into it in recent years for not speaking up for him.

If i was one of the best players ever to play the game and i was getting inducted,i MYSELF would say at the podium-I am thankful for the honor to be here but i cannot accept being inducted into the hall of fame until pete rose is allowed in.

I have heard they will put him in eventually but not until he leaves this earth unfortunately.

LIttle history lesson here, not chronological.

Pete Rose AGREED with the commissioner of baseball, Bart Giamatti, that he should be banned from MLB. He accepted the punishment because he BET ON HIS OWN TEAM while a manager. The players and managers are trained several times EVERY YEAR about how harmful it is for players to get involved in any way in gambling on the sport. He waited to start complaining about the HoF until Giamatti was dead, knowing that Giamatti would cut Rose's balls off if he had complained while Bart was still alive. Nevertheless, The banishment from MLB DOES NOT prevent him from being elected to the HoF. It is the individual voters - mainly sports writers, eh? - who are keeping him out.

It is a little bit "fishy" that Joe D had his 56 game hitting streak and Ted W batted .401 in the same year. The season ended before Pearl Harbor, but one wonders if the pitching staffs were depleted by players enlisting in the military service. I don't have the actual data, but this is a huge coincidence, is it not? Two unique, unbeatable records set in the same year.

Rose is certainly entitled to be in the HoF based on his baseball resume. His hit total is inflated because he played long after he should have hung up his cleats, but the numbers don't lie.

As a Phillies fan i will tell you that they would not have won their first World Series without him. 99 years in the league before their 1st championship in 1980. He was dependable and rarely choked. He also played in the astro turf era which helped him with some hits. No matter his issues he is fondly remembered by many Phils fans.

Nice dodgeball of how he was a hitting machine how he was the ONLY Phillies hitter in that playoff game against the astros who hit Ryan in his FIRST at bat and Ryan of course was so difficult to hit ESPECIALLY come playoff time,that to no surprise,it was only a single.

also in that playoff game,Rose faced knuckleballer Joe Niekro and struck out against him and Howard Cosell said the most true statement-That is something you rarely ever see Pete Rose do is strikeout.He just does not do that very often.

and uh,Im just posting what Rose HIMSELF said,dont shoot the messenger.

Im also just making a reasonable deduction based on the facts that ROSE gave, that I have to believe he would have broken the record had he been able to face pitchers he had faced for the next 11 games.:rolleyes:

I also dont know WHERE you came up with that delusion just based on the facts i gave from Rose himself,that I wanted those pitchers to slow pitch him.it takes all kinds.:cuckoo:

I GUARANTEE nobody will ever come as close to Diamond Joes record again as Rose did because incidenteally,now that you mention that delusion and warped theory you had about me wanting the pitchers to slow pitch him,"I'll never let you live that one down,":abgg2q.jpg:

since you brought up that theory about me,its ironic that you did because Rose ALSO said in his book in HIS own words as best as I remember. "Garber pitched me like it was the damn 7th game of the world series."

bout now that you mention that,I WILL say that I think that was a little extreme of Garber to act like that,that giving up a hit to Rose was like blowing the 7th game of the world series with a lead which is the way Garber treated that game..

that is another reason WHY nobody will ever come close as Rose did because I remember as he got closer in the high upper 30's and low 40's.pitchers that gave up the hit,MANY of them acted like they blew the 7th game of the world series,they would come into the dugout throwing their glove against the wall and kicking the water cooler and everything like they blew the world series or something.:abgg2q.jpg:

Dimaaggio never had to deal with pitchers taking it so serious about giving up all those hits when he got into the 40's and early 50's like rose did i GUARANTEE. no way did THEY act like giving up those hits was like giving up the winning hit in the 7th game of the world series,:rolleyes:

LIttle history lesson here, not chronological.

Pete Rose AGREED with the commissioner of baseball, Bart Giamatti, that he should be banned from MLB. He accepted the punishment because he BET ON HIS OWN TEAM while a manager. The players and managers are trained several times EVERY YEAR about how harmful it is for players to get involved in any way in gambling on the sport. He waited to start complaining about the HoF until Giamatti was dead, knowing that Giamatti would cut Rose's balls off if he had complained while Bart was still alive. Nevertheless, The banishment from MLB DOES NOT prevent him from being elected to the HoF. It is the individual voters - mainly sports writers, eh? - who are keeping him out.

It is a little bit "fishy" that Joe D had his 56 game hitting streak and Ted W batted .401 in the same year. The season ended before Pearl Harbor, but one wonders if the pitching staffs were depleted by players enlisting in the military service. I don't have the actual data, but this is a huge coincidence, is it not? Two unique, unbeatable records set in the same year.

Rose is certainly entitled to be in the HoF based on his baseball resume. His hit total is inflated because he played long after he should have hung up his cleats, but the numbers don't lie.
I would like to see him inducted into the H of F........He is famous for both the good and the bad.

Forum List

Back