People are boycotting Starbucks after CEO announces plan to hire thousands of refugees

Why do people HATE the idea of hiring refugees?

If Starbucks said they were going to hire 1,000 unemployed rust belt white guys...would you be outraged? It's their business if they want to support refugees and given that refugees are specifically under attack by folks just for being refugees, or more specifically Muslim refugees - I applaud Starbucks. My mother lives in an area with a lot of Burmese refugee resettlement and the entire community helps out with employment and support. This is a bad thing?

It is discriminatory, all quotas are.

Ok, whatever.

I don't think it's a bad thing. It's no different then a company deciding it's going to hire local talent. Or, for that matter - companies choosing to hire US labor over foreign labor.
Your kind doesn't think anything that hurts America is bad.

Employment hurts America?

Why is hiring refugees "discrimminatory" but hiring only US labor...not?

^ the dimbot pretending again. You clowns always pretend don't you? Employment does not hurt America, that's why Trump is trying to bring jobs back. What hurts us is when illegals are brought in and given jobs over citizens. You know this though.

^ the dimbot pretending again. You clowns always pretend don't you? Employment does not hurt America, that's why Trump is trying to bring jobs back. What hurts us is when illegals are brought in and given jobs over citizens. You know this though.

Great. We're on the same page then. And since no one is talking about illegals, we shouldn't be at odds here.

Provided they are legally allowed to work, hiring them on a "best qualified" basis is not. Denying a more qualified non-refugee the position to fill a "hire refugees quota" is discriminatory. The reason is obvious.

Provided they are legally allowed to work, hiring them on a "best qualified" basis is not. Denying a more qualified non-refugee the position to fill a "hire refugees quota" is discriminatory. The reason is obvious.

Hiring US labor over equally or more qualified foreign labor is discrimminatory.

Hiring US labor over equally or more qualified foreign labor is discrimminatory.
If they can legally work in the US, then they are US labor and counted as such in employment data. Discrimination occurs when criteria are applied to that standard. Such as, to get this job you must be a refugee.

If they can legally work in the US, then they are US labor and counted as such in employment data. Discrimination occurs when criteria are applied to that standard. Such as, to get this job you must be a refugee.

It's still discrimination - for example, a company can hire a better person by bringing them in legally, but are no longer able to because they're being forced to hire US.

Other examples are companies that choose to hire local talent. Or, companies who value diversity and slant their hiring practices towards that goal.

It's still discrimination - for example, a company can hire a better person by bringing them in legally, but are no longer able to because they're being forced to hire US.

Other examples are companies that choose to hire local talent. Or, companies who value diversity and slant their hiring practices towards that goal.

How are any companies being forced to hire US only?

Eh. I boycotted them long ago when I found out they help Israel's genocide and occupation in Palestine. On top of that its expensive as hell

Glad to hear it and their coffee tastes like shit.

what is sad is that Starbucks does some great things for the community. I thought their degree program for employees was a magnificent idea. Provides loyalty AND better employees. They also do work for U.S military.

This statement by him made no sense and was not a wise business decision, nor was it particularly sensitive at a time in which millions of Americans are hurting, can't find work, sustaining themselves on food stamps etc.
I don't remember if Starbucks is currently pro-gun or anti-gun.

Although I do believe the open-carry gun fans are all wacko's, it seems that Starbucks keeps flip flopping on this issue.

I carry my 45ACP concealed not open carry everywhere I go. Starbucks does not need to know.
I don't think people who want to open carry are wackos in any sense of the word. Just because you won't do something someone else will, does not make them crazy.

No. Being so afraid of the world till they can't leave home without being armed makes them crazy.

what is sad is that Starbucks does some great things for the community. I thought their degree program for employees was a magnificent idea. Provides loyalty AND better employees. They also do work for U.S military.

This statement by him made no sense and was not a wise business decision, nor was it particularly sensitive at a time in which millions of Americans are hurting, can't find work, sustaining themselves on food stamps etc.

Although I do believe the open-carry gun fans are all wacko's, it seems that Starbucks keeps flip flopping on this issue.

I carry my 45ACP concealed not open carry everywhere I go. Starbucks does not need to know.
I don't think people who want to open carry are wackos in any sense of the word. Just because you won't do something someone else will, does not make them crazy.

No. Being so afraid of the world till they can't leave home without being armed makes them crazy.
Hopefully it'll make you the next criminals victim.

Always against America. GTFO!

I'm not afraid to step out my front door.

I'm not afraid to step out my front door.
I'm not either.

Why do people HATE the idea of hiring refugees?

If Starbucks said they were going to hire 1,000 unemployed rust belt white guys...would you be outraged? It's their business if they want to support refugees and given that refugees are specifically under attack by folks just for being refugees, or more specifically Muslim refugees - I applaud Starbucks. My mother lives in an area with a lot of Burmese refugee resettlement and the entire community helps out with employment and support. This is a bad thing?
Whatever happened to hiring people based on merit? Oh yeah, a dumbass liberal is applying hack politics in his hiring practices.

It might be a good marketing campaign. Going to Starbucks is like taking refuge from the hustle and bustle of the day, and you can have a refugee serve you.

Seems the backlash is real if companies don't have an American first attitude. We have a similar program in Canada where donut shops and fast food places fly in foreign workers to take the important jobs that young Canadians would have to get work experience and such. It defies logic to me.

People are boycotting Starbucks after CEO announces plan to hire thousands of refugees

(Howard Schultz, the chairman, president, and CEO of Starbucks.Tina Fineberg/AP)
Some Starbucks customers are threatening to boycott the coffee giant after its CEO took a stand against President Donald Trump's executive order barring immigrants from seven majority-Muslim countries from entering the US." class="canvas-atom canvas-text Mb(1.0em) Mb(0)--sm Mt(0.8em)--sm" data-type="text" style="margin-bottom: 1em; color: rgb(38, 40, 42); font-family: "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 15px; background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);">(Howard Schultz, the chairman, president, and CEO of Starbucks.Tina Fineberg/AP)
Some Starbucks customers are threatening to boycott the coffee giant after its CEO took a stand against President Donald Trump's executive order barring immigrants from seven majority-Muslim countries from entering the US.

"We are living in an unprecedented time, one in which we are witness to the conscience of our country, and the promise of the American Dream, being called into question," CEO Howard Schultz wrote in a letter to Starbucks employees about the plan.

While many customers were immediately supportive of Starbucks' actions on social media, others threatened to boycott after the letter's release.

I plan on going to Starbucks. They're doing the right thing. They're also planning to provide insurance for those who might lose insurance due to repealing ACA. Sounds like a decent company.

Since I don't go into Starbucks, I guess I've been boycotting them for years. It's a combination of things. Their prices are too high and people like you may be in there.

Forum List

Back