Pentagon admits al Qaeda has a ‘presence’ in Afghanistan minutes after Biden says they are ‘gone’

Doc7505

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2016

Pentagon admits al Qaeda has a ‘presence’ in Afghanistan minutes after Biden says they are ‘gone’​

Pentagon spokesman would not estimate how al Qaeda are there but said the number is not 'exorbitantly high'

20 Aug 2021 ~~ By Andrew Mark Miller
The Pentagon appeared to backtrack on President Biden’s implication that al Qaeda was "gone" from Afghanistan and admitted the terror group still has a "presence" in the region.
"Let’s put this into perspective here," Biden said during a press conference Friday defending the decision to withdraw from Afghanistan. "What interest do we have in Afghanistan at this point with al Qaeda gone?"

Roughly an hour later, Fox News National Security Correspondent Jennifer Griffin questioned Defense Department Press Secretary John Kirby on Biden’s statement.
Griffin asked Kirby for an estimate on how many al Qaeda operatives were currently in Afghanistan, and Kirby was not able to give her a specific number.
"I haven't seen an estimate on that," Kirby said. "OK, I don't know if we have an exact estimate."
"You don't have military intelligence estimates about how many al Qaeda remain in Afghanistan?" Griffin pushed back.
"We know that al Qaeda is a presence as well as ISIS in Afghanistan," Kirby said. "And we've talked about that for quite some time. We do not believe it is exorbitantly high, but we don't have an exact figure for you, as I think you might understand."

Comment:
Obviously Joey Xi and his Administration were not making this or the border situation a priority what with all their domestic spending plans. They cut off the oil pipeline to please the environmentalists and then asked OPEC to produce more when gas prices went up. They're going to find that you have to prioritize, be honest about it, and live with the consequences. They should have been honest about what was in store if they left Afghanistan and asked Congress to advise. By the way, what are they going to do with all the refugees?
This is supposedly what more people voted for than they voted for Obama... Believe that and I have some ocean front property in Arizona you get buy at fantastically low prices.

"What interest do we have in Afghanistan at this point with al Qaeda gone?"
This is all lie. When America was Great, they defended the interests of the Northern Alliance there. Alqaida did not play a significant role in this policy at all, in the 80s they financed the liberation movement of the Northern Alliance, against USSR and Pashtuns, and until recently they resisted the aggression of the Pashtun Taliban.

Forum List

Back