Pay Your Debts Snowflakes- Student Loans Just Got A Lot More Expensive

Personal attacks aside, this has zero to do with the blind rush to get a $30k bill for a degree you're never going to use...

It has everything to do with it. And when you say a "degree you never use", what the fuck are you even talking about? One of the major reasons one goes to college is to develop critical thinking skills (which you obviously lack). It's those critical thinking skills that lead a graduate to develop good workplace skills because they have spent 4 years being taught to think critically as a part of higher education. If you don't see the value in critical thinking, then you're probably a stupid person yourself who lacks the ability to exercise critical thinking and thus sucks up all the stupid bullshit (like how people don't need college degrees) Conservatives vomit out there like how cutting taxes somehow means more revenue, the Earth is 6,000 years old, Climate Change is not real, and deregulation is good for the economy. College graduates make nearly double what those with only a HS degree make. So all you're doing when you discourage people from going to college is lowering the average wages, making people less inclined to question dubious ideology, which results in a lowering of the living standard, which results in an increase in welfare spending because people without college degrees qualify for many welfare benefits as their average wage of $23K/yr is barely above the poverty line. Someone without a college degree is most likely going to have to rely on federal assistance programs like SNAP, Medicaid, and others. Most Walmart workers have no college degree, and we the taxpayers subsidize about $5B a year in welfare benefits for those workers. BTW - Walmart's profits last year were $14B. So we are subsidizing more than 1/3 of Walmart profits because they pay their non-college educated workforce such low wages.

Personal attacks aside. Partisan attacks aside.

WRONG! Getting a degree does not /guarantee/ higher pay.

IF the college graduate isn't willing to pursue the actual career, which includes moving away from friends and family, then they will /never/ see that "increased pay" for their degree.

IF the college graduate is going after those 27% of jobs that require a college degree, lets say "Anthropology." If they are not willing to move to a museum that has an anthropology position open, they're not going to see any benefit. If they're not willing to move to a school that has a anthropology teaching position open, they're not going to see any benefit. If they're not willing to /commit/ to pursuing the position their degree is in, then they will /never/ see an increased wage because of that degree. This is /not/ a hard concept to grasp, you are just unhinged about partisan politics...

As to the workplace skills bit, all these colleges giving out safe spaces and catering to PC. The skills they are learning in colleges are actually a /disservice/ to concept of workplace skills... I'm just going to refer you to this list here - http://www.jwu.edu/uploadedFiles/Documents/Alumni/JWUTopWorkSkills.pdf If you cannot see how college grads are either failing to learn these /basic/ workplace skills at college, or worse actually learning the /wrong/ thing to do from college, then I really can't help you because you're too dense.

One can see just from /your/ responses to my comments that you are failing on like 90% of these /actual/ workplace skills you think college is teaching/has taught you. It doesn't matter how much you whine about my hard nose statements son, I am a recently business person. A professional who got paid to give advice on everything from hiring/firing to the guts of how a business is run, my entire job was taking over management of businesses when they had an unexpected executive position open up. I am who these kids are wanting to hire them. I am the person who would be looking at their resume and evaluating their attitude and fit for whatever position. I'm the interviewer. I am the person who evaluates their performance and decides if they get canned in a down size or not. Whine, cry, bully all you want, but I am the harsh reality these kids will face when getting a job. I'm the person who that decides if they get hired or fired, I'm the person that decides what they are paid, and I'm the person that decides if they get a raise. You can try to hide under your security blanket of "lefty values" but I'm the bitch that steals your blanket and burns it to say "welcome to the real world."

Lets get "personal" son and maybe you'll figure it out before you fuck your life over (regardless of your precious 4 year degree.) You come off as a hostile, angry, punk kid, immature and abrasive. You think you're smarter than anyone who doesn't agree with you. You think you can force people to believe what you do by berating them and calling them stupid. You think insults are valid points of debate and meaningful to prove your point or get your point across. You think partisan politics are appropriate to fling at a non-partisan person simply because they disagree with you on a single point; showing you have zero skill for negotiation, zero compassion for alternate opinions and would/will make it harder on co-workers to deal with your personality flaws. You attempt to force or bully me into thinking and believing as you do, which is 100% impossible in any real world situation - that only works on college kids and people who have not formed a solid foundation of beliefs, the majority of people outside college, those in the workforce have already developed those things. You think that it's appropriate to guess at, and insult, "my" religion without a second thought for how unrelated and inappropriate that is. Instead of trying to change my mind through effective negotiation, you IMEDIATELY choose to /personally/ attack /me/ as if that would help your case.

Son, just based on your diatribe in what three posts(?) I can tell you that you would be fired from any job that paid even second rung. But you go on thinking you're all that and a bag of chips.

"Arrogance is a creature. It does not have senses. It has only a sharp tongue and the pointing finger.”

For a hiring manager you sure don't seem to know much. Anthropology? You think only museums and universities hire Anthropology majors? The FBI hires lots of them. Marketing companies love them. Public health, industrial relations, the list is pretty comprehensive. Not to mention it is a damn good degree prior to law school. Matter of fact, someone with an Anthropology degree would probably be a better fit for YOUR job than you.

Then there is philosophy, my personal favorite. Mostly because philosophy majors have the highest increase in salary during the first ten years of employment, and they sure as hell aren't sitting around being philosophers.

The point, a college degree, ANY college degree, will improve one's lifetime earnings. One does not have to work in the field of their degree. Hell, my brother majored in English. He is an engineer.

Yeah I didn't list out every single position such a degree might be handy for, I was speaking in generalities. Doesn't change the fact that if said kid isn't willing to go where the job is needed they're not likely to get their money's worth from the degree (which was the point.) - This is the kind of shit I'm talking about colleges not teaching though, ya'll are more interesting in being arrogant bitches than actually having a conversation. I mean I'm the kind of person that hires and you'd rather argue and try to prove a political point than face reality - that is one of the major flaws that's devaluing college degrees as well.

Again, if you're not willing to go where a philosophy job is open, then it might not be the best idea to go into debt for a degree in.

Not guaranteed higher pay - that's just the stats because there wasn't a glut of college degrees on the market, you watch as more folks get degrees, that value will go down (probably a lot, because it's already at the tipping point of devaluing as it stands.) Again, there are only roughly 33m jobs in the US that require a college degree, a good deal of them are taken, the ones that aren't taken yet require someone to make the commitment to come take them.

A 2yr degree shows the same key traits of responsibility and dedication as a 4yr degree to someone that is hiring outside that specific degrees field. The difference is in price tag and debt. I never said folks couldn't work outside their degree field, in fact I earlier made the point that over 40% of college students /aren't/ working in their degree field, and in fact, are working in positions that don't require a college degree - they could have got that job fresh out of HS and saved themselves $30 grand and be in a lot better position financially.

Last edited:
Personal attacks aside, this has zero to do with the blind rush to get a $30k bill for a degree you're never going to use...

It has everything to do with it. And when you say a "degree you never use", what the fuck are you even talking about? One of the major reasons one goes to college is to develop critical thinking skills (which you obviously lack). It's those critical thinking skills that lead a graduate to develop good workplace skills because they have spent 4 years being taught to think critically as a part of higher education. If you don't see the value in critical thinking, then you're probably a stupid person yourself who lacks the ability to exercise critical thinking and thus sucks up all the stupid bullshit (like how people don't need college degrees) Conservatives vomit out there like how cutting taxes somehow means more revenue, the Earth is 6,000 years old, Climate Change is not real, and deregulation is good for the economy. College graduates make nearly double what those with only a HS degree make. So all you're doing when you discourage people from going to college is lowering the average wages, making people less inclined to question dubious ideology, which results in a lowering of the living standard, which results in an increase in welfare spending because people without college degrees qualify for many welfare benefits as their average wage of $23K/yr is barely above the poverty line. Someone without a college degree is most likely going to have to rely on federal assistance programs like SNAP, Medicaid, and others. Most Walmart workers have no college degree, and we the taxpayers subsidize about $5B a year in welfare benefits for those workers. BTW - Walmart's profits last year were $14B. So we are subsidizing more than 1/3 of Walmart profits because they pay their non-college educated workforce such low wages.

IF the college graduate isn't willing to pursue the actual career, which includes moving away from friends and family, then they will /never/ see that "increased pay" for their degree.

IF the college graduate is going after those 27% of jobs that require a college degree, lets say "Anthropology." If they are not willing to move to a museum that has an anthropology position open, they're not going to see any benefit. If they're not willing to move to a school that has a anthropology teaching position open, they're not going to see any benefit. If they're not willing to /commit/ to pursuing the position their degree is in, then they will /never/ see an increased wage because of that degree. This is /not/ a hard concept to grasp, you are just unhinged about partisan politics...

As to the workplace skills bit, all these colleges giving out safe spaces and catering to PC. The skills they are learning in colleges are actually a /disservice/ to concept of workplace skills... I'm just going to refer you to this list here - http://www.jwu.edu/uploadedFiles/Documents/Alumni/JWUTopWorkSkills.pdf If you cannot see how college grads are either failing to learn these /basic/ workplace skills at college, or worse actually learning the /wrong/ thing to do from college, then I really can't help you because you're too dense.

One can see just from /your/ responses to my comments that you are failing on like 90% of these /actual/ workplace skills you think college is teaching/has taught you. It doesn't matter how much you whine about my hard nose statements son, I am a recently business person. A professional who got paid to give advice on everything from hiring/firing to the guts of how a business is run, my entire job was taking over management of businesses when they had an unexpected executive position open up. I am who these kids are wanting to hire them. I am the person who would be looking at their resume and evaluating their attitude and fit for whatever position. I'm the interviewer. I am the person who evaluates their performance and decides if they get canned in a down size or not. Whine, cry, bully all you want, but I am the harsh reality these kids will face when getting a job. I'm the person who that decides if they get hired or fired, I'm the person that decides what they are paid, and I'm the person that decides if they get a raise. You can try to hide under your security blanket of "lefty values" but I'm the bitch that steals your blanket and burns it to say "welcome to the real world."

Lets get "personal" son and maybe you'll figure it out before you fuck your life over (regardless of your precious 4 year degree.) You come off as a hostile, angry, punk kid, immature and abrasive. You think you're smarter than anyone who doesn't agree with you. You think you can force people to believe what you do by berating them and calling them stupid. You think insults are valid points of debate and meaningful to prove your point or get your point across. You think partisan politics are appropriate to fling at a non-partisan person simply because they disagree with you on a single point; showing you have zero skill for negotiation, zero compassion for alternate opinions and would/will make it harder on co-workers to deal with your personality flaws. You attempt to force or bully me into thinking and believing as you do, which is 100% impossible in any real world situation - that only works on college kids and people who have not formed a solid foundation of beliefs, the majority of people outside college, those in the workforce have already developed those things. You think that it's appropriate to guess at, and insult, "my" religion without a second thought for how unrelated and inappropriate that is. Instead of trying to change my mind through effective negotiation, you IMEDIATELY choose to /personally/ attack /me/ as if that would help your case.

Son, just based on your diatribe in what three posts(?) I can tell you that you would be fired from any job that paid even second rung. But you go on thinking you're all that and a bag of chips.

"Arrogance is a creature. It does not have senses. It has only a sharp tongue and the pointing finger.”

For a hiring manager you sure don't seem to know much. Anthropology? You think only museums and universities hire Anthropology majors? The FBI hires lots of them. Marketing companies love them. Public health, industrial relations, the list is pretty comprehensive. Not to mention it is a damn good degree prior to law school. Matter of fact, someone with an Anthropology degree would probably be a better fit for YOUR job than you.

Then there is philosophy, my personal favorite. Mostly because philosophy majors have the highest increase in salary during the first ten years of employment, and they sure as hell aren't sitting around being philosophers.

The point, a college degree, ANY college degree, will improve one's lifetime earnings. One does not have to work in the field of their degree. Hell, my brother majored in English. He is an engineer.

Yeah I didn't list out every single position such a degree might be handy for, I was speaking in generalities. Doesn't change the fact that if said kid isn't willing to go where the job is needed they're not likely to get their money's worth from the degree (which was the point.) - This is the kind of shit I'm talking about colleges not teaching though, ya'll are more interesting in being arrogant bitches than actually having a conversation. I mean I'm the kind of person that hires and you'd rather argue and try to prove a political point than face reality - that is one of the major flaws that's devaluing college degrees as well.

Again, if you're not willing to go where a philosophy job is open, then it might not be the best idea to go into debt for a degree in.

Not guaranteed higher pay - that's just the stats because there wasn't a glut of college degrees on the market, you watch as more folks get degrees, that value will go down (probably a lot, because it's already at the tipping point of devaluing as it stands.) Again, there are only roughly 33m jobs in the US that require a college degree, a good deal of them are taken, the ones that aren't taken yet require someone to make the commitment to come take them.

A 2yr degree shows the same key traits of responsibility and dedication as a 4yr degree to someone that is hiring outside that specific degrees field. The difference is in price tag and debt. I never said folks couldn't work outside their degree field, in fact I earlier made the point that over 40% of college students /aren't/ working in their degree field, and in fact, are working in positions that don't require a college degree - they could have got that job fresh out of HS and saved themselves $30 grand and be in a lot better position financially.

OK mister bigshot. You have three applicants for a job that does not require a college degree. One has a GED. One graduated high school. The third one has a bachelors degree in philosophy. Not a single one has any job experience, they are all fresh out of school or just got their GED. Which one do you hire?

The point, rather a college degree is required to do a job is IRRELEVANT. The reality, a college graduate has a better chance of getting the job, period.

OK mister bigshot. You have three applicants for a job that does not require a college degree. One has a GED. One graduated high school. The third one has a bachelors degree in philosophy. Not a single one has any job experience, they are all fresh out of school or just got their GED. Which one do you hire?

The point, rather a college degree is required to do a job is IRRELEVANT. The reality, a college graduate has a better chance of getting the job, period.

And in the meantime, China, South Korea, and many other nations provide free higher education to those that can qualify

The operative words being "to those that can qualify." All that "free" college in Europe is much harder to get into than it is here.

Well yes, if you have plenty of money, you can do a number of things. But I have been going to school, a State university, for several years as my work schedule allows me. I see young people holding down two jobs, coming to school dead tired, and working their asses off. And not getting the education they need because they are tired.

Assholes like you are shortchanging our nation and our children. In the meantime, other nations are going ahead of us, and your kind of thinking will relegate us to third world status.

Oh boo fucking hoo! I put myself through college while working full time with a wife and infant at home so blow me, Pops. We give a "free" education to everyone in this country as a child. Once you turn 18 you're legally an adult and it's time to start providing for yourself. If it were up to you we'd be coddling people like two year old until they're 30.

And if you want to know who is shortchanging kids, look in the mirror. All this "help" you've been trying to give them in the form of financial aid is actually the cause of the massive tuition hikes we've seen in the last 30 years. The more money the politicians let them borrow from us, the more the colleges hike up the cost.

That's Miss Bigshot thanks. You've presented me with an impossible question because /no one/ bases their hiring entirely upon level of education. In fact experience is by far the number one factor.

IF a degree is not necessary for the position, and we presume that their cover letters and resume formatting are all appropriate and "equal" (impossible, but we'll pretend) then I might not even /look/ at their education. Like say it's a mindless starter type job like dish washing then I'll might even decide to pass on the college degree person because they're over-educated which likely means they're going to quit after a short period of time to find a better job (meaning I have to replace them, which can be a PITA depending on when they decide the job is beneath them.) Even setting the "over qualified" question off to the side. To automatically decide "oh I'll take the college graduate" just isn't how it works in the real world. IF all things but college degree are equal on the resumes and no degree is necessary then I'm going to call all three in for interviews and personality is going to be factor two.

You seem to have this false assumption that a college degree is some kind of badge of honor and while, yes, it does indeed show responsibility and dedication - those are not trophy items. Basically evidence of "responsibility and dedication" on a resume is more like a rubber stamp than a shining point. Great, they have evidence of what I /expect/ from every employee - this is a far cry from "they have this degree so clearly they are the better choice for me to hire." Education level, in a position that doesn't require a degree, is merely an indication, it is not an accolade.

I'm not so sure about that (I have a Prius myself)...and it's really coal fired power plants and massive factory farming that accounts for the overwhelming majority of emissions. Two things regular people have no control over.

We only have 'Factory Farming" because we need to feed 400 million people. Hellloooooooooo....

Do I need to post the chart from BLS, again, showing the higher your education level, the higher your wage and the lower your unemployment?

Yes, but only if you have USEFUL Degrees in things employers are looking for, that was my point, dummy.

Wow...homophobia is so 2004. Furthermore, anyone with a 4-year degree is going to have an easier time finding a job that pays well than someone with less education. At least, that's what the facts say in the chart above. It doesn't matter what your degree is in, if you have one in any subject you are far more likely to find a good paying job than if you don't.

Again, it's easy to lie with charts. The reality is, more and more employers are looking for on topic degrees, not degrees in bullshit. But I'm sure that degree in the evils of patriarchy will be useful when making a double frappachino at Starschmucks...

So that brings us to the question why do people urge folks not to get a college degree? The answer is simple; the more educated someone is, the less likely they are to buy into the bullshit that Conservatives are pushing. We can see it in the narrative thread you are pushing here, despite your claims you do not share their point-of-view when you actually do. Simply having a 4-year college degree (regardless of your major) gives you a leg up in the employment market, and all but guarantees higher wages and job security.

Here's why I am not really in favor of it. As long-time readers of my posts know, I have a side job where I write resumes for people. I can't tell you how many people with a four year degree can't assemble a simple resume that makes sense.

Now, I do have a four year degree. I got a four year degree because I spent a large part of my adult life in the Army to pay for it. I still got more out of the Army than I ever got out of college.

Pay Your Debts Snowflakes- Student Loans Just Got A Lot More Expensive

Good advice for Red States who keep taking Blue State money.

That's Miss Bigshot thanks. You've presented me with an impossible question because /no one/ bases their hiring entirely upon level of education. In fact experience is by far the number one factor.

IF a degree is not necessary for the position, and we presume that their cover letters and resume formatting are all appropriate and "equal" (impossible, but we'll pretend) then I might not even /look/ at their education. Like say it's a mindless starter type job like dish washing then I'll might even decide to pass on the college degree person because they're over-educated which likely means they're going to quit after a short period of time to find a better job (meaning I have to replace them, which can be a PITA depending on when they decide the job is beneath them.) Even setting the "over qualified" question off to the side. To automatically decide "oh I'll take the college graduate" just isn't how it works in the real world. IF all things but college degree are equal on the resumes and no degree is necessary then I'm going to call all three in for interviews and personality is going to be factor two.

You seem to have this false assumption that a college degree is some kind of badge of honor and while, yes, it does indeed show responsibility and dedication - those are not trophy items. Basically evidence of "responsibility and dedication" on a resume is more like a rubber stamp than a shining point. Great, they have evidence of what I /expect/ from every employee - this is a far cry from "they have this degree so clearly they are the better choice for me to hire." Education level, in a position that doesn't require a degree, is merely an indication, it is not an accolade.
People who have never been to college, may not have finished High School and have never held a job requiring education, of course don't understand the value of a college degree. The same people think all you do in college is have sex, drink and party.

People who have never been to college, may not have finished High School and have never held a job requiring education, of course don't understand the value of a college degree. The same people think all you do in college is have sex, drink and party.

Again, I went to college for four years...

I still feel I got a lot more out of the Army than I ever got out of college.

(And I did a lot more drinking in the army!)

The problem with the "College for All" mentality is that you've just made college a glorified High School. Which is why we have so many millennials living with their parents into their late 20's because they never learned to grow up.

And in the meantime, China, South Korea, and many other nations provide free higher education to those that can qualify and have the ambition to do the work. And now China is getting more new patents than the US. And little South Korea is graduating more engineers than we are.

Yes, real Goddamned smart for this nation to not educate it's people. You 'Conservatives' are so fucking retarded.
Can't do that here, as liberals would freak out that certain groups weren't going to college in high enough numbers. We can't even do the german system here, because the same reason.

I think it goes further, that these people are anti-education because they know the more educated someone is, the less likely they are to believe Conservative bullshit.

We only have 'Factory Farming" because we need to feed 400 million people. Hellloooooooooo....

No, we have factory farming because big agriculture writes laws Conservatives pass in congress that undermine small farms.

Yes, but only if you have USEFUL Degrees in things employers are looking for, that was my point, dummy.

Fucking idiot, look at the chart again! Where in there does it say anything about type of degree? Do you know how to read? Are you just imagining words that are there that really aren't? What is your fucking problem with the truth?

ep_chart_001.png

WAgain, it's easy to lie with charts. The reality is, more and more employers are looking for on topic degrees, not degrees in bullshit. But I'm sure that degree in the evils of patriarchy will be useful when making a double frappachino at Starschmucks...

And here comes the whining about facts. Thing is, Joe, charts reflect facts. And facts undermine your argument. You insist on things you cannot prove with facts, so instead of actually supporting your bullshit, you dismiss any evidence that runs contrary to your argument. That doesn't make you a smart person, it makes you an ignoramus. Obvious why you don't want people to get college degrees; the more educated someone is, the less likely they are to believe your bullshit.

Here's why I am not really in favor of it. As long-time readers of my posts know, I have a side job where I write resumes for people. I can't tell you how many people with a four year degree can't assemble a simple resume that makes sense.

And right on cue comes the Conservative "personal anecdote" that cannot be verified on an anonymous message board. You assholes do this all the time; when you have no actual, verifiable facts to support your position, you fill that void by making up shit. I don't accept personal anecdotes in a debate, mostly because Conservatives lie all the fucking time about themselves. Whether it's pretending to be a veteran so you stupid foreign policy ideas have credibility, to pretending to be a "small business owner" so your stupid economic ideas have credibility, to pretending to be "married to a (insert minority race here)" so your pathetic ideas about race have credibility, to the blatant and easily debunked Obamacare victimhood lies so your pathetic views of health care have credibility. I notice you people do that all the time...you have no actual facts we can verify to support your case, so you just relay a bunch of third-hand anecdotes (that probably aren't even true) and hope that they stack up to the facts (hint: they don't). All you are doing when you invoke this personal anecdote bullshit is tell everyone reading the thread that you don't have any facts to support yourself, so you pretend to have this experience that fills the void in your argument.

Pathetic. I mean, really, fucking pathetic and desperate. Do you think people actually believe your bullshit? Thing is, without that bullshit, your argument has aboslutely nothing. The only thing you have to keep yourself in the debate is the invention or exaggeration of personal anecdotes, clouded with bias, that can't even be verified.

So how about instead of pretending to be something you're not, or hear something you didn't, you argue with verifiable facts? Is that too much to ask of you?

Now, I do have a four year degree. I got a four year degree because I spent a large part of my adult life in the Army to pay for it. I still got more out of the Army than I ever got out of college.

I don't believe you have a college degree. I don't believe you were in the Army. I don't even believe you are self-sufficient. The more you invent these given circumstances, the less inclined I am to believe them. You should be able to make an argument without invoking unverifiable crap. That sort of shit wouldn't fly in a real debate, so why the fuck do you think it flies here?

No, we have factory farming because big agriculture writes laws Conservatives pass in congress that undermine small farms.

No, we have factory farms because we like cheap food. I mean, if you can afford to eat at Whole (Paycheck) Foods, that fine and all.. Most of us can't.

Fucking idiot, look at the chart again! Where in there does it say anything about type of degree? Do you know how to read? Are you just imagining words that are there that really aren't? What is your fucking problem with the truth?

It doesn't... and until it does, it's not relevant to the conversation. Again, I'm sure we gots the best edumecated team of Baristas at Starschumcks in the world, but isn't worth $45,000 a crack for their parents or the taxpayers.

Obvious why you don't want people to get college degrees; the more educated someone is, the less likely they are to believe your bullshit.

No, I'm all for giving college degrees to people who've EARNED them in useful fields for jobs we need done. I'm all for spending more money to train teachers and engineers. I'm not so keen on that English Lit Major who is going to enjoy a wonderful career at Starschucks when she graduates.

And right on cue comes the Conservative "personal anecdote" that cannot be verified on an anonymous message board. You assholes do this all the time; when you have no actual, verifiable facts to support your position, you fill that void by making up shit. I don't accept personal anecdotes in a debate, mostly because Conservatives lie all the fucking time about themselves.

Hey, guys, check it out, this moron thinks I'm a 'conservative".

He spends the next two pages whining about me because I refute his stupidity.

So let's bottom line it.

College is expensive because it's subsidized for everyone, and lot of people getting college degrees don't need them, and when they get out, they really don't know much more than when they went in. But we've told people this is what they need to do get a job, not that they actually need this to get a job.

We SHOULD spend our money improving primary and secondary education, so that when a kid hits 18, they have the math, reading and reasoning skills they need to get into the working world and be effective.

Gee, wonder why?

They learned from their deadbeat parents who signed up for home loans only cry foul later and expect handouts.

Who says you have to pay debts you sign in your name?

-Geaux
------------

Snowflakes looking to take out massive student loans for next year to fund the $50,000 price tag of their liberal bastion of choice, and maybe the occasional binge-drinking trip to Cancun for Spring Break, are about to get a little price hike. But, don't worry, you won't have to start paying on those loans for at least 4 years.

Beginning in July, interest rates on new federal student loans are set to rise by 0.69%, per data published by the Treasury, which would drive the interest cost of new undergraduate loans up to 4.45% from 3.76% for the academic year ending in June, a nearly 20% increase off an historically low base. Meanwhile, rates on some graduate loans are set to rise from 5.31% to 6% and rates on loans to parents and guardians are due to jump from 6.31% to 7%. As an example, the cost of a $10,000 loan would increase by about $400, according to an online calculator maintained by Bankrate.com.

Of course, these higher borrowing costs shouldn't be that big of a deal as some 44 million Americans only owe $1.4 trillion on their student loans, or a modest average of only $32,000 per borrower.

Student Loans Just Got A Lot More Expensive For Our Snowflakes | Zero Hedge

did someone mention snowflakes?

RTXxgVo.jpg

Gee, wonder why?

They learned from their deadbeat parents who signed up for home loans only cry foul later and expect handouts.

Who says you have to pay debts you sign in your name?

-Geaux
------------

Snowflakes looking to take out massive student loans for next year to fund the $50,000 price tag of their liberal bastion of choice, and maybe the occasional binge-drinking trip to Cancun for Spring Break, are about to get a little price hike. But, don't worry, you won't have to start paying on those loans for at least 4 years.

Beginning in July, interest rates on new federal student loans are set to rise by 0.69%, per data published by the Treasury, which would drive the interest cost of new undergraduate loans up to 4.45% from 3.76% for the academic year ending in June, a nearly 20% increase off an historically low base. Meanwhile, rates on some graduate loans are set to rise from 5.31% to 6% and rates on loans to parents and guardians are due to jump from 6.31% to 7%. As an example, the cost of a $10,000 loan would increase by about $400, according to an online calculator maintained by Bankrate.com.

Of course, these higher borrowing costs shouldn't be that big of a deal as some 44 million Americans only owe $1.4 trillion on their student loans, or a modest average of only $32,000 per borrower.

Student Loans Just Got A Lot More Expensive For Our Snowflakes | Zero Hedge

Not certain if you know this about your link, but as you read e articles ....this site wants to hurt you and me by pitting Americans against one another....

Zero Hedge is an English-language financial blog that aggregates news and presents editorial opinions from original and outside sources. The news portion of the site is written by a group of editors who collectively write under the pseudonym "Tyler Durden" (a character from the novel and film Fight Club).

Zero Hedge's content has been described as conspiratorial, anti-establishment, and economically pessimistic,[3] and has been criticized for presenting extreme and sometimes pro-Russian views.[1][4][5]

I mean, if you can afford to eat at Whole (Paycheck) Foods, that fine and all.. Most of us can't.

What I'm saying is because of the ag laws, factory farms end up crowing out locally-sourced foods. And now, we find that we will be importing chicken from China. I think you and I both agree the agriculture laws are a mess. I think the solution is more community and urban farming.

It doesn't... and until it does, it's not relevant to the conversation. Again, I'm sure we gots the best edumecated team of Baristas at Starschumcks in the world, but isn't worth $45,000 a crack for their parents or the taxpayers.

The average age for a Starbucks worker is just 25. As we see in the chart, age 25 is when unemployment for college grads is 2.7%. Furthermore, I don't know from where you got this idea that Starbucks workers are post-college kids who can't get a job. The unemployment rate for people with a 4-year degree is 2.7%, which means full employment. 4 year college grads also make nearly double those with just HS diploma make, and 50% more than those with a 2-year degree or some college. By age 25, most college grads are employed in jobs that pay well. So like the "welfare queen", the "Starbucks Barista with a BA" is a myth used to gin up anti-education sentiment. BTW - Starbucks offers all its workers reduced (or free) tuition at Arizona State (Not the greatest school in the world, but a 4-year college nonetheless), that they can attend in person at ASU, or online.

No, I'm all for giving college degrees to people who've EARNED them in useful fields for jobs we need done. I'm all for spending more money to train teachers and engineers. I'm not so keen on that English Lit Major who is going to enjoy a wonderful career at Starschucks when she graduates.

It's not your determination what is a useful field or not. Conservatives like to mock Philosophy and Anthropology majors, but both those fields are highly sought after for jobs in Marketing, Criminal Justice, education, Urban planning, and others, not to mention good majors for those looking to go into Law School or Medical School. Drama majors find work in the ever growing field of media and digital (there are now over 200 basic cable channels, 100 streaming platforms, 30+ D2 diginets, etc., all need programming). We are at "peak TV" by some accounts, but new shows keep appearing everywhere. English Lit majors often end up going to Law School, or getting advanced degrees (MFA's, MBA's, MA's, etc.) or teaching certification.

So this brings us back again to the question why are there so many who are anti-college? Again, the answer is simple; the more educated someone is, the less likely they are to believe Conservative bullshit.

College is expensive because it's subsidized for everyone

NOPE. College is expensive because states cut funding to education to pay for useless tax cuts, and the deficits that come from those tax cuts have to be closed because many states have STUPID Balanced Budget Amendments. So when revenues come in under projections (and they always do when tax cuts are involved), states have to scramble to cut funding to balance the budget. What are the two things first on the chopping block? Education and health care. There was once a time when you could attend a state school for free or next-to-nothing if you were an in-state resident. Now? Because of tax cuts, and subsequent cuts to education to pay for those tax cuts (that we were promised would pay for themselves, but didn't), state schools were forced to raise tuition in order to make up for the gap created by funding cuts, again, as a result of tax cuts.

We can very easily afford to make state colleges tuition-free. Doing so would only cost about $85B-$100B a year. Sure the gamblers on Wall Street may have to pay taxes on their transactions, but paying taxes doesn't stop people from gambling in Las Vegas, so why would it stop people from gambling on Wall Street?

Last edited:
You don't get there by cutting funding for public colleges, do you?

Again, I think it depends. A lot of jobs aren't being filled, and a lot of people are getting degrees that are kind of useless. I think we should fund more STEM education, less "multi-cultural studies" horseshit.

I just imagine an HR department looking at a girl who got her "Women's Studies" degree on her resume and thinks, "Yup, there's a Sexual Harassment Lawsuit looking for a place to happen. Good thing it won't be here."

I wholeheartedly agree. I some majors are a waste of time, while the jobs in the tech field go to H1B workers out of necessity.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I wholeheartedly agree. I some majors are a waste of time, while the jobs in the tech field go to H1B workers out of necessity.

Well, you are not the arbiter of what is a useful degree and what isn't. Broadly speaking, 4-year college grads have an unemployment rate of 2.7%, and make wages above the average:

ep_chart_001.png

So here is an instance where fantasy ("Starbucks BA Baristas") meets reality (2.7% unemployment rate for four-year grads, with median weekly earnings 30% above the average).

Beginning to seriously think that the "Starbucks BA Barista" is just another right-wing myth, like the "welfare queen".

Forum List

Back