Panicked New York Governor Tells Businesses “They Have Nothing to Fear” After Democrat Leaders Fleece Donald Trump of $355 Million

The State brings that action on behalf of a victim. Who would that be in this case? Banks that say they're more than satisfied with the transaction and would do business with Trump again?
There were allegations of fraud on the part of the Trump Organization at a Congressional hearing. It was referred to the NYAG for investigation. It is not an uncommon scenario.

"Low standard", going through thousands of cases. Read the specifics of each case, so I can find the one that fits your very specific criteria? Just so you can move the goalposts?

I tell you what. Why don't you read the judgement. 90 Something pages. Find me specific errors in it. I'll respond to them. Then I'll think about doing this "low standard" thing.
You have thousands of cases to choose from! Surely you can find ONE that's at least a little similar to what James has done with this one, Forkup? Because if you can't? Then what's taken place is selective prosecution.

There were allegations of fraud on the part of the Trump Organization at a Congressional hearing. It was referred to the NYAG for investigation. It is not an uncommon scenario.
Fraud against whom? Who is the victim in this alleged fraud?

You have thousands of cases to choose from! Surely you can find ONE that's at least a little similar to what James has done with this one, Forkup? Because if you can't? Then what's taken place is selective prosecution.
I already cited one that charged fraud, for not keeping proper records. Guess not similar enough?

Further, the complaint alleges that the company failed to develop and maintain proper compliance, error-resolution, and document retention policies.

Not really. But if you state one value for tax purposes and one value for loan purposes you are committing fraud. If you don't know the difference between 10000 square feet and 30000 square feet you're committing fraud. It's funny that the responsibility for keeping proper records apparently isn't on the business for some reason but on the people doing business with that business. Seems to me a whole lot of fraud isn't a crime anymore under that reasoning.
Is that kind of like a man who says his penis is 8 inches when its really 3 inches or a man says his height is 5'11 when he is really 5 foot 7? :p

Fraud against whom? Who is the victim in this alleged fraud?
You’re missing the forest for the trees. Consider it like this. If a credible source testifies at a court or before a public body that you are cheating on your taxes or dumping toxic waste, the IRS or EPA based on that allegation may open an investigation. Same here. The sole question is are you violating the law.

I already cited one that charged fraud, for not keeping proper records. Guess not similar enough?
In that case...did the charged party pay off it's loan on time with interest? Did the lending party state that it was happy with the transaction? Not similar at all, Forkup...sorry!

You’re missing the forest for the trees. Consider it like this. If a credible source testifies at a court or before a public body that you are cheating on your taxes or dumping toxic waste, the IRS or EPA based on that allegation may open an investigation. Same here. The sole question is are you violating the law.
How have you violated the law when there is no victim?

If you're cheating on your taxes your "victim" would be the Government! If you're dumping toxic waste your victim would be the community at large! Who is the victim here?

And that would not be the sole question here, JLW! One that immediately comes to mind is whether this is a lawsuit brought by an AG who doesn't care about equal justice but rather has stated that she WILL sue someone if she is elected to that position?

Bottom line is this. If I'm the judge sitting on this case...the very first thing I'm going to ask Letitia James is what precedent is it that she's basing this charge on? Show me where this charge has been prosecuted against someone else in the past?

If you're cheating on your taxes your "victim" would be the Government! If you're dumping toxic waste your victim would be the community at large! Who is the victim here?

And that would not be the sole question here, JLW! One that immediately comes to mind is whether this is a lawsuit brought by an AG who doesn't care about equal justice but rather has stated that she WILL sue someone if she is elected to that position?
You answered your own question here. One reason Trump deflated and manipulated real estate values was to reduce taxes. As you pointed out the victim is the taxpayer and the local government, Another reason the AG brought the case was to prevent future fraud. The state has an interest to make sure laws are obeyed.

Your answer is wrong at least as it pertains to Trump’s case.. You don’t need a plaintiff in criminal fraud. The State brings the action not an individual. The genesis of the New York State AGs Investigation in Trump’s case were allegations at a Congressional hearing that the Trump Organization was involved in manipulation of asset valuations in violation of the law.
See: "Bill of attainder".

You answered your own question here. One reason Trump deflated and manipulated real estate values was to reduce taxes. As you pointed out the victim is the taxpayer and the local government, Another reason the AG brought the case was to prevent future fraud. The state has an interest to make sure laws are obeyed.
The lawsuit brought by James has zero to do with taxes, JLW. Care to try again?

See: "Bill of attainder".
A Bill of Attainder wouldn’t apply here. The laws that the AG used against the TO were not enacted to just apply to the TO. The better legal argument may be selective enforcement. Selective enforcement is used when laws are applied to some but not others. Trump’s lawyers had to make that argument at trial, if they did not, it may be waived for appeal purposes.

Forum List

Back