PA Electoral College Plan

But lets get real; the chances of WINNING are pretty much zilch. In the Winner-Take-All method, there is little need to address the concerns of a third party since their support is not a game changer. All you need is a plurality of the votes and presto; you get 100% of the electoral votes for that state.

And there is nothing preventing a third party candidate from getting a plurality of votes in a state and winning its electoral votes. It's happened several times.

The only people preventing third party candidacies are the voters themselves who have allowed themselves to be manipulated into thinking their only realistic choice is an R or D and that a vote for anyone else is somehow "wasted."

There are barriers. The Debates for example. It used to be the League of Women Voters who would hold the debates. Now each side negotiates with the other major party. There is nobody brokering the debates as in elections past.

When was the last time a 3rd party candidate won a state? 1968? What 40 years ago? Am I wrong about that?

I fully believe that both of the major parties are equally disdained. Not by those on the other side but by a large number of those inside their ranks.
A serious third party contender will force them to open their doors and try to occupy the sensible center of the American Political spectrum as Mr. Powell put it so wonderfuly. Neither side will give up any power at all until they are forced. I doubt it would happen but the only way to force it is to change the rules of the game to benefit the people. The Presidency is a good place to start?

i know... rightwingers love that one b/c the tea loons from the house would vote for the senate.

No, that is not true. The states (governor and/or state legislative bodies) would appoint their own Senators. It has nothing to do with the House of Representatives. The Senate was created to enforce the Tenth Amendment and protect the states from an overbearing federal government, which is exactly what we've ended up with since the 17th was ratified.

why would i want a governor appointing my senator?

you not trust yourself to vote?

there was an amendment because the other way wasn't working. the whole states' rights things is a DEAD issue... it ended when the south lost the civil war.

if there was any intent that we be held hostage to the states, we'd still be living under the articles of confederation.

I think they should split electoral votes...

well, i actually don't think there should be an electoral college anymore. it was a way for small states to vote land, because they lacked people. and i've never understood why someone in north dakota's vote should be worth more than mine.

how is it worth more than yours?

I think they should split electoral votes...

well, i actually don't think there should be an electoral college anymore. it was a way for small states to vote land, because they lacked people. and i've never understood why someone in north dakota's vote should be worth more than mine.

how is it worth more than yours?

Proportionally the vote in smaller states goes a further distance toward determining that state's electoral vote preference.

Forum List

Back