Orville Seth MacFarlane Star Trek parodies.

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013

It is actually pretty good. Recording episodes.

It actually feels more like Star Trek, than Star Trek.

They have to figure out the balance between drama and sci-fi, but if you go back to the first seasons of many sci-fi shows, they do tend to develop.

Meh... not really.

It doesn't have enough jokes to be a comedy.

It doesn't have enough interesting ideas to be Science Fiction.

Like the Next Generation they probably need to flesh things out during the 1st season. If you look back at 1st season TNG it's very very different from the later seasons.

Like the Next Generation they probably need to flesh things out during the 1st season. If you look back at 1st season TNG it's very very different from the later seasons.

I think the problem with the first season of TNG was that Gene Roddenberry thought he could just rehash his "Trek Phase II" scripts and just change the names on them. But it was 20 years later and you couldn't do that kind of show anymore. He also put in stipulations like the characters couldn't have disagreements among themselves, which is the opposite of drama.

I give Rick Berman (who is often derided for Voyager and Enterprise) a lot of credit for firming up the characters and relationships.

But again, the Orville is supposed to be a comedy, not a drama, and the "My ex-wife is my first officer" gag has already gotten tired after four episodes.

I think the problem with the first season of TNG was that Gene Roddenberry thought he could just rehash his "Trek Phase II" scripts and just change the names on them. But it was 20 years later and you couldn't do that kind of show anymore. He also put in stipulations like the characters couldn't have disagreements among themselves, which is the opposite of drama.

I give Rick Berman (who is often derided for Voyager and Enterprise) a lot of credit for firming up the characters and relationships.

But again, the Orville is supposed to be a comedy, not a drama, and the "My ex-wife is my first officer" gag has already gotten tired after four episodes.

I'm not sure they are intending it as 100% comedy, but again who knows. So far I have found the show to be interesting, and more importantly, free. Not gonna pay for CBS access.

And the lessons they learned from TNG did get applied to the later series. Now if they could have only figured out how to avoid the "odd movies sucked" thing.

I'm not sure they are intending it as 100% comedy, but again who knows. So far I have found the show to be interesting, and more importantly, free. Not gonna pay for CBS access.

The only purpose I can see is that McFarlane is giving Fox one of its few popular shows, and they'd pretty much give him whatever vanity project he wanted to keep him happy. This is the world's most expensive CosPlay.

And the lessons they learned from TNG did get applied to the later series. Now if they could have only figured out how to avoid the "odd movies sucked" thing.

Meh, I think that the "Odd number sucks" thing is more myth than reality.

Star Trek III is actually a pretty good movie.

Insurrection (IX) isn't a bad movie.

Meanwhile, Nemesis (X) was truly an abortion.

Technically, Star Trek and Star Trek Beyond were Odd numbered movies, (XI and XIII) and they weren't bad. But Into Darkness was such awful shit I can't say enough bad things about it. "Hey, let's do a movie about Khan and not understand what made Wrath of Khan a great movie!"

Speaking of which, the Wrath of Khan was the best Trek movie, hands down. But it was made on a budget, they were halfway considering releasing it as a TV movie, and they recycled FX Shots from The Motion Picture. (usually a big no-no because the nerds notice.) And the writer/director, Nick Meyers, didn't know shit about Star Trek.

These things should always start with the script and the idea, not "Let's get a product out there!

The only purpose I can see is that McFarlane is giving Fox one of its few popular shows, and they'd pretty much give him whatever vanity project he wanted to keep him happy. This is the world's most expensive CosPlay.

Meh, I think that the "Odd number sucks" thing is more myth than reality.

Star Trek III is actually a pretty good movie.

Insurrection (IX) isn't a bad movie.

Meanwhile, Nemesis (X) was truly an abortion.

Technically, Star Trek and Star Trek Beyond were Odd numbered movies, (XI and XIII) and they weren't bad. But Into Darkness was such awful shit I can't say enough bad things about it. "Hey, let's do a movie about Khan and not understand what made Wrath of Khan a great movie!"

Speaking of which, the Wrath of Khan was the best Trek movie, hands down. But it was made on a budget, they were halfway considering releasing it as a TV movie, and they recycled FX Shots from The Motion Picture. (usually a big no-no because the nerds notice.) And the writer/director, Nick Meyers, didn't know shit about Star Trek.

These things should always start with the script and the idea, not "Let's get a product out there!

Remember that some of the nerd fan base would actually enjoy watching "the world's most expensive cosplay", look at all the crappy trek personal side projects out there.

Like any myth, it has its roots in truth, even if it does stretch it a bit.

For me the first two TNG's were the best, so yes the odd/even thing can be seen as a bit of a joke.

But Star Trek 1 was terrible.

For me the first two TNG's were the best, so yes the odd/even thing can be seen as a bit of a joke.

Marty, we doing so well, then you said that.

Generations was HORRIBLE. Let's kill Kirk with scaffolding! It's like killing James Bond by having him slip on a banana peel.

Or having Doctor Who bump his head on a console and regenerate. Oh, wait, Doctor Who already did that one. Well at least they aren't going to turn him into a woman or something....

OH, yeah, let's also destroy the Enterprise-D because the model didn't look cool enough for future movies and we had to mess with the lighting to make the sets work on the big screen.

Marty, we doing so well, then you said that.

Generations was HORRIBLE. Let's kill Kirk with scaffolding! It's like killing James Bond by having him slip on a banana peel.

Or having Doctor Who bump his head on a console and regenerate. Oh, wait, Doctor Who already did that one. Well at least they aren't going to turn him into a woman or something....

OH, yeah, let's also destroy the Enterprise-D because the model didn't look cool enough for future movies and we had to mess with the lighting to make the sets work on the big screen.

On movie opinions I don't get as heated as political ones. It's too much in the eye of the beholder.

I didn't have an issue with how the killed kirk or destroyed Enterprise-D. And after all those poor red-shirts died horribly in the TV series under Kirk's direction I see a death by contraption as poetic justice for those stormtroopers...err..red shirts.

Not a Dr Who guy except for the Daleks.

Of course I was one of the people who understood why they killed off Wash and Book in Serenity, didn't like it, but understood it.

Of course I was one of the people who understood why they killed off Wash and Book in Serenity, didn't like it, but understood it.

The official reason was that Ron Glass and Alan Tudyek(Sp) weren't available for sequels. Of course, the movie didn't make enough money to have sequels.

Dramatically, I think it worked fine, as this was an epic movie that concluded a lot of the plot points from the series. So of course, "some of you won't be coming back alive" is fine.

The official reason was that Ron Glass and Alan Tudyek(Sp) weren't available for sequels. Of course, the movie didn't make enough money to have sequels.

Dramatically, I think it worked fine, as this was an epic movie that concluded a lot of the plot points from the series. So of course, "some of you won't be coming back alive" is fine.

Still surprised there hasn't been sequels or a revived TV show, even with new actors (the old same universe, different time period thing).

Less to do with how good the show was, and more to do with the drivel we currently see for at least parts of seasons recently.

Still surprised there hasn't been sequels or a revived TV show, even with new actors (the old same universe, different time period thing).

Less to do with how good the show was, and more to do with the drivel we currently see for at least parts of seasons recently.

Firefly was a good series. (something else Rupert Murdoch managed to screw up) But with 13 episodes, there wasn't enough to create a syndication cult following like Star Trek had.

I thought it was going to be slapstick ala Airplane with the Airport movies.

There is a little bit of that, but it is smaller doses. Not like Airplane where virtually every line is a spoof.

At first I did not know what to make of the more dramatic side, but it works imo.

Thumbs up on the show.

It's actually not. It's campy as fuck with terribly low brow humor and COMPLETELY predictable plot lines. Add to that Seth's lazy eye and the creepy first officers face....

And that's saying a lot considering how campy the original Trek was. But it was one thing this one wishes it was,...original

I agree totally. I am enjoying it. It's a comedy but with serious storytelling. The last one with Charlie's Theron was a story in the tradition of Star Trek. The light-heartedness and occasional jokes make it entertaining.

Forum List

Back