O'Reilly the 'Flip Flopper'

Superlative

Mar 13, 2007
OH' REILLY'

While promoting a segment devoted to the St. Paul controversy on the March 24 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly warned: "Look out, Easter Bunny. The secular progressives are gunning for you." Later in the program, O'Reilly asserted, "[T]here is a movement in the USA to ban displays of so-called religious holidays in the public square" and added that "this is going on all over the country."

On the March 29 broadcast of his radio show, O'Reilly mentioned the St. Paul incident as an example of "this war" against Christianity "being waged very bitterly," and later asked: "[W]hy are we kicking the Easter Bunny in the head?"
During the March 28 broadcast of his radio show, O'Reilly again highlighted the controversy to ridicule the "left-wing print press" for allegedly "saying that I'm making up the culture war."

When discussing the alleged culture war, O'Reilly has often aired on-screen graphics showing images of Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny above the headline "Under Attack."

During the April 11 edition of The O'Reilly Factor, O'Reilly declared, "Although some left-wingers in the media deny it, we have documented a number of cases where Christian holidays, like Christmas and Easter, have been attacked by secular interests." Later in the broadcast, O'Reilly and Newsweek managing editor Jon Meacham agreed that a "secular battle against Christmas, against Easter ... is taking place" in America.

O'REILLY: "Factor Follow-up" segment tonight. Although some left-wingers in the media deny it, we have documented a number of cases where Christian holidays, like Christmas and Easter, have been attacked by secular interests. Lawsuits and corporate policies have proved this point over and over again.

FLOP FLOP

Wow. The real threat is Resurrection Sunday? Hide the kids. OK, let's walk through this nutty diatribe. First of all, there is no attack on Easter. Only two dumb incidents, one in St. Paul, Minnesota, where a secretary was asked to take down decorations featuring the Easter Bunny, and one in Georgia, where an Easter event was changed to a Spring event. After pressure, it's back to an Easter event.

O'REILLY: Now, I have to say to be honest, there hasn't been a war on Easter. OK, that, that has not happened. This is just two things that have happened here. We even watch after the thumping that the department stores and all-over crazies took over Christmas, these people say, "You know, I don't think we want to come up against O'Reilly and these other people on Easter. Let's just let it go."

"So you're basically looking at something that happened in St. Paul that should not have happened. Certainly a violation of this woman's freedom of expression. Now they'll say well, she can do it at home. She shouldn't do it in the workplace. There's -- that's not a crazy argument, but surely -- surely this is unnecessary. This kind of ideological, politically correct nonsense is unnecessary. It's not going to offend any sane person, and if it brings a little joy to the woman in the office, that's a good thing. Believe me when I tell you, there isn't one religion in the world that if somebody had a happy whatever -- happy Wiccan day -- I don't care. If it makes them happy, I'm happy. If you like Wiccan day, I like Wiccan day. Doesn't matter to me. If it's happy. Shinto day. Buddhist day. Good. Good. I'm happy. Am I impressed? No. Not impressed.

"So why are we kicking the Easter Bunny in the head? You know? What -- give the Easter Bunny his due. All the Easter Bunny does is make people smile and little kids happy. Why do you want to remove the Easter Bunny from anywhere? It's just insane."

O'REILLY: Well, I agree with you on that point, but there's a difference between Christmas and Easter. And the difference is important to know. Christmas is a federal holiday. Christmas is honoring the philosopher Jesus. Not the God Jesus. The philosopher. All right? So it's a holiday that Congress passed and U.S. Grant signed into law that has to be respected if you have any regard for your country at all.

Easter is a religious holiday. It doesn't have anything to do with the USA other than the fact that most Americans celebrate it. Because most Americans are Christian, as we mentioned. But I don't -- see, I don't object to the Easter egg hunt, or the secular things that surround the celebration of Easter. I think it makes it fun for little kids, engages them. Makes them curious about the wider theme of Easter. All of that is good. But you are absolutely right, [caller]. That all of this assault against any kind of Christian symbol is well thought-out. There is a reason behind it.

O'REILLY: You know, I get a kick out of when I read the left-wing print press saying that I'm making up the culture war. That I'm making it up. That I fabricated the war on Christmas deal. Even though lawsuits were filed, and companies had memos -- I made it all up. And now if you watched The Factor last week, in St. Paul they banned the Easter Bunny in the St. Paul, Minnesota, City Council. But I made it up. [Laughing] You know, I make all this up.

O'REILLY: I hope you don't hate me, St. Paul people. But this is going on all over the country. It is an absurd, nuts, intrusive. And it is funny we're mocking it, but it has a serious undertone.

http://mediamatters.org/items/200604170006

ORLY's a buffoon. He's a fabricator and a chicken little who deserves no more press than shock whore Ann Coulter.

Forum List

Back