Opposite lawsuit - over Anti-Gay cake?

emilynghiem

Constitutionalist / Universalist
Jan 21, 2010
National Freedmen's Town District
Cake Shop Faces Legal Action For Refusing to Make Anti LGBT Cake - Eater Denver

Now THIS takes the cake!

The owner being sued even offered to bake the cake with the Bible design
and then let the customer decorate the words they didn't want to put on.

Tipsycatlover This is the type of lawsuit I think can be avoided
by having customers sign forms in advance, agreeing to mediation to avoid legal costs or actions, before discussing any business....
===========

Azucar Bakery owner Marjorie Silva refused to make a Bible-shaped cake complete with strong anti-gay wording and imagery.

Azucar Bakery found itself in hot waters over the message that was meant to go on a Bible-shaped cake, reported Out Front Colorado. The staff at the South Broadway spot refused to write "God hates homosexuality" and other anti-LGBT text and imagery on a cake that a man attempted to order.

The man came in and began ordering a cake. After he found an image of a Bible-shaped cake to his liking, he showed the bakery employees the message he wanted displayed on the cake, the gist of which is hateful toward the gay community. Uncomfortable with the incident, owner Marjorie Silva offered to make the Bible-shaped cake and sell to the customer a decorating bag so he can complete whatever message he wanted himself. He immediately threatened legal action and left. He returned twice and had to be "excused" by the owner's brother the last time.

The man filed a discrimination complaint Colorado's Department of Regulatory Agencies (DORA). Silva received a letter from the agency and had to reply to it. This is her reply, in part:

I can ... tell you that the customer wanted us to draw two males holding hands ... with a big ‘X' on them. I told him that we do not like to discriminate in this bakery, we accept all humans and that the message and drawing is extremely rude.

Silva still needs to file a final letter with DORA. The agency will then make its decision within 30 days.

Forum List

Back