Open letter published to fight "Cancel Culture"

Free speech is not the right to have no one counter your speech.
Counter with speech, yes. Counter with punishment and intimidation, no.

There is a very clear distinction there.

9nZo3zK.gif

People are saying "I do not support what she is saying". They have as much right to say that as she does to say what she says.
Is that all that happens in Cancel Culture, in the big picture?

If so, why is it called "Cancel Culture" to begin with?

People love to come up with these new labels for things that are not new for some reason.

I guess it helps push the news. "Cancel Culture"?

Whats that? Click.

As an example. I was a documentary on an underground comic book writer that got himself into trouble over his comics. Now I will agree that the part where the government got involved was wrong.

But there is a reason they were "underground" comics that had to print their own material. Publishers simply weren't interested in their work.

They didn't have an obligation to publish it.
I think this is new in that it has clearly accelerated. Either we believe in true freedom of expression, unencumbered, or we do not.

The venues to disagree (or even agree) have expanded. That's simply the nature of things.

Again, she is free to say whatever she wants. What she (and you) want it the ability to say what you want without anyone saying you are wrong.
I'll say it for the third and last time: It's NOT about opposing an idea with SPEECH. THAT is the POINT of it.

I don't know why you don't want to recognize that, but three tries is enough for me.

Why? Because you've not actually made any other point.

Dude,

I disagree with almost everything Mac says, or is likely to ever say -
On this point, he has destroyed you.

Stormy, one more time- Trump did not win any more white people than Romney did. YOU KEEP REPEATING THIS FUCKING LIE that he was some great revolt against "Political Correctness". Reality- White folks are just as awful as they've always been.

Trump won because black folks stayed home and white people who should have known better figured that since the Polls had Hillary ahead, they could safely protest vote for third party loons.

Telling white people that their racism,misogyny or homophobia is acceptable.... because, gosh, we wouldn't want to judge you...

Factually false
Because - math.

Now if the government decides to not allow her to speak, then I'll join her.
Cancel Culture is about culture, not the government.

And there is a profound difference between not buying something from someone and actively working to impede or damage them.
You know that Cancel Culture, PC, Critical Theory are methods of the Frankfurt School, right?

IT IS CULTURAL MARXISM!!!

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/07/07/tech/facebook-civil-rights-meeting/index.html

Those leftist organizations are brow-beating Facebook because they won't ban or censor Trump.

IT'S THE LEFT, 58!!! WAKE UP!!

THEY ARE FUCKING COMMIES!!!

Those are the assholes who AVOID discourse because otherwise, THEY LOSE.

AND WHO DO THEY WANT TO WIN????

Of course it's the Left, mostly. I wish there were a better alternative.

I'm reading another article and it seems she is upset with "Public Shaming" of people for what they say.

That is a cornerstone of society. We get nowhere as a society if people never spoke up to say "you are wrong".
If it were just "you are wrong" followed by reasonable discourse on WHY, nobody would have a problem.

But, it's not.

It's "you are a racist, sexist, homophobic, xenomorph" with no discourse and a demand for punishment.

Completely NOT liberal!!!

If you read much of what I write I am no fan of name calling but unfortunately it's not something new.

I'm not really sure how you call out something like racism without calling it what it is.

Thank goodness. It's about time some well-known voices spoke out against "Cancel Culture".

The letter addressed the nationwide Black Lives Matter protests and calls to defund the police — acknowledging that the demands are over due while warning against cancel culture and being intolerant of differences.

“But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity,” the letter read. “The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.”

The letter warned that liberals are forming their own version of censorship, one that President Donald Trump and “right-wing demagogues” thrive off of.

“This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most vital causes of our time,” the letter added. “The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation.”

srp99F0.gif

e111c1c11d4b5b9aaed63b03a4da25bb.jpg

It isn't Trump supporters getting people fired. It isn't Trump supporters burning, looting and killing Blacks in Black neighborhoods in cities controlled by the democrat party.

Everything you fools pretend Trump and his supporters are supposed to do, the democrat party is actually the ones doing it........getting people fired, getting people canceled and their lives ruined......burning, looting and killing Blacks.....that is what the democrat party is actually doing...

The democrat party under obama used the IRS to deny tax status to conservative groups.....the democrat party under obama used the FBI, CIA, DOJ, State Dept. to attack the opposition political party during the election and then continued to use it to attack the new President......we have the notes that show obama and joe biden were in on it from the beginning....

Everything you guys accuse Trump and his supporters of doing, the democrat party is actually doing...

Do you even understand that?
Well yes, this mostly comes from the Left.

Have I claimed anything different? Ever? Nope.

I'm reading another article and it seems she is upset with "Public Shaming" of people for what they say.

That is a cornerstone of society. We get nowhere as a society if people never spoke up to say "you are wrong".
If it were just "you are wrong" followed by reasonable discourse on WHY, nobody would have a problem.

But, it's not.

It's "you are a racist, sexist, homophobic, xenomorph" with no discourse and a demand for punishment.

If you read much of what I write I am no fan of name calling but unfortunately it's not something new.

I'm not really sure how you call out something like racism without calling it what it is.
you have to be really careful with choosing your words, so not to offend the racist.

People post "All Lives Matter" all over the place. Nothing happens to them.
What SHOULD happen to them?

People who understand what they are actually saying should counter them.
Or fire them? Stone them? Etc.

Some people have a lit to answer for.

Most people are unable to fire people but people have always been fired for their views. An employer whether I agree with them or not have always dealt with people who harm their business.

Going back a long ways (to show this isn't something new) the Smothers Brothers were fired for their views.

Now do people get fired today for things they may not have in the past? They do but you will have to point out specifics to show where that is bad.

Men used to be able to sexually harrass women in the workplace and never get called on it.

Employers have come to understand how that hurts their business and no longer allow it (as much).

Is that bad? Not in my opinion. It also has NOTHING to do with free speech.

Stormy, one more time- Trump did not win any more white people than Romney did. YOU KEEP REPEATING THIS FUCKING LIE that he was some great revolt against "Political Correctness". Reality- White folks are just as awful as they've always been.

Trump won because black folks stayed home and white people who should have known better figured that since the Polls had Hillary ahead, they could safely protest vote for third party loons.
That is an interesting theory, but the poll numbers do not support it, particularly given the popular vote vs to EC numbers.

Trump may have had the same number of white votes, but DIFFERENT people voted for Trump vs Romney.

What REALLY happened is Trump won the right combination of states, getting the rust-belt blue collar white vote Romney couldn't carry.

Deciding you don't want to purchase the work of someone you disagree with is not censorship.

Calling for companies to fire someone because you disagree with them is, it just isn't government censorship.

It's petty and cruel, especially over things like words a person says.

People have always let a company know why they will or will not buy their products.

It's why you never saw "Coca-Cola presents Lenny Bruce".

9nZo3zK.gif

People are saying "I do not support what she is saying". They have as much right to say that as she does to say what she says.

People love to come up with these new labels for things that are not new for some reason.

Whats that? Click.

As an example. I was a documentary on an underground comic book writer that got himself into trouble over his comics. Now I will agree that the part where the government got involved was wrong.

But there is a reason they were "underground" comics that had to print their own material. Publishers simply weren't interested in their work.

I think this is new in that it has clearly accelerated. Either we believe in true freedom of expression, unencumbered, or we do not.

The venues to disagree (or even agree) have expanded. That's simply the nature of things.

Again, she is free to say whatever she wants. What she (and you) want it the ability to say what you want without anyone saying you are wrong.
I'll say it for the third and last time: It's NOT about opposing an idea with SPEECH. THAT is the POINT of it.

I don't know why you don't want to recognize that, but three tries is enough for me.

Dude,

Lol....OK.

Deciding you don't want to purchase the work of someone you disagree with is not censorship.

Calling for companies to fire someone because you disagree with them is, it just isn't government censorship.

People have always let a company know why they will or will not buy their products.

The thing is today a much smaller percentage of the population can exert undue influence beyond their numbers.

When that loan company fired the mother of the cop in Georgia, no one said they would stop using the mortgage company if she was still working there.

They never even published what she said that was so offensive, they just hid their twitter behind the approval wall and ran and hid.

But, it's not.

Here's a hint: if the reason something is "racist" requires an explanation (which is never given) maybe you should reconsider.

The thing is today a much smaller percentage of the population can exert undue influence beyond their numbers.

When that loan company fired the mother of the cop in Georgia, no one said they would stop using the mortgage company if she was still working there.

They never even published what she said that was so offensive, they just hid their twitter behind the approval wall and ran and hid.

They were trying to avoid the possibility of an ugly scene in the workplace. Agree or disagree does an employer have that right?

9nZo3zK.gif

Whats that? Click.

Dude,

Lol....OK.

It is okay

Your answers don't even address the point.

But, it's not.

Here's a hint: if the reason something is "racist" requires an explanation (which is never given) maybe you should reconsider.

A meaningless statement. Reasons are gave all the time.

9nZo3zK.gif

Whats that? Click.

Dude,

Lol....OK.

It is okay

The point is people do not want countered in public for what they say in public.

Too bad.

"Bigot" meaning they disagree with you.

Naw, man. I'd never call anyone a bigot for disagreeing with me on abortion or gun control or taxes.

I will call them a bigot when they rationalize police misconduct or think it's okay to discriminate against gays.

Who has done that? certainly not jk
Shes simply pointing out genetic males pretending to be genetic females are not really genetic females

The difference with her is she's got that uber fuck you money...she can't be cancelled ...

But, it's not.

A meaningless statement. Reasons are gave all the time.
The story in this OP itself prove otherwise, dude. JK Rowling said something about "those who menstruate" being women and all hell broke lose. No explanation. Just typical shit flinging.

IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME!!!

You mean like the King County detective who posted the "All Lives Splatter" meme on facebook and is currently on administrative leave pending an internal investigation"?

Honestly I'd be very suprised if anything other than him being written up happens, however if law enforcement officers/detectives have no qualms about displaying their bias in this manner, how can you ever trust them to not be biased in their enforcement or administration of the law? That's what the problem is and those individuals who either don't know any better or don't care, don't have the necessary qualities to work in law enforcement, in my opinion.

9nZo3zK.gif

Whats that? Click.

Dude,

Lol....OK.

It is okay

The point is people do not want countered in public for what they say in public.

Too bad.
No. People don't want to be destroyed without actually being countered.

Example:

"all lives matter"

"You racist, sexist, homophobic, xenomorph! Fire him"

Then, it actually happens.

Want proof?

Forum List

Back