Open letter published to fight "Cancel Culture"

Freedom of speech and expression is the most LIBERAL of ALL our values.

It's ILLIBERAL to distort it.

Replying is NOT distorting it.
Yes, I'll say it again: The problem is the punishment and intimidation.

We just have two different definitions of freedom of expression.
That's also known as retaliation and in some cases is unlawful.
I'd rather see it fade away culturally and keep the government out of it.

It's illiberal.
Are you saying that you expect people to self-regulate?
What I'm saying is that freedom of speech and expression is the most LIBERAL of all of our values, and that I support it.

So, I agree with Noam Chomsky on this and other issues.

Examples of others who agree with me:

Emeyw5m.gif

Where has the government gotten involved and where has anyone stopped her (and others) from saying whatever they want?
Never, that I'm aware of. And, of course, I have made it abundantly clear already that that is not my point.

You're fine with it. I agree with President Obama, Bernie Sanders, Liz Warren, Noam Chomsky, Salman freakin' Rushdie and many other liberals on this.

We disagree. And I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

What exactly are you disagreeing with? The only thing I've been able to determine is the new label to a very old thing.

Free speech has never meant that there would never be any repurcussions because of that speech.

Why are their repercussions for saying all lives matter..or wearing a shirt that says all lives splatter ...or getting denied entry to college becuase youre a trump supporter

View attachment 360880

A vast generalization (outside of one example).

People post "All Lives Matter" all over the place. Nothing happens to them.

Law enforcement officials have to be careful with what they do or it can show a bias in a court of law. An employer has always been able to take actions upon your actions and that has nothing to do with free speech.

I said I disagreed with suspending the student. She had no right to not be countered though which is all that has happened to J.K.
Uh boy
its not a vast generalization its been snowballing for decades now and is only getting progressively worse.
I can't wait till the elites move to kill all these useful idiots .
I'm gonna piss on thier empty headed graves

There are simply more venues to express an agreement or disagreement now.

Thank goodness. It's about time some well-known voices spoke out against "Cancel Culture".

The letter addressed the nationwide Black Lives Matter protests and calls to defund the police — acknowledging that the demands are over due while warning against cancel culture and being intolerant of differences.

“But this needed reckoning has also intensified a new set of moral attitudes and political commitments that tend to weaken our norms of open debate and toleration of differences in favor of ideological conformity,” the letter read. “The democratic inclusion we want can be achieved only if we speak out against the intolerant climate that has set in on all sides.”

The letter warned that liberals are forming their own version of censorship, one that President Donald Trump and “right-wing demagogues” thrive off of.

“This stifling atmosphere will ultimately harm the most vital causes of our time,” the letter added. “The restriction of debate, whether by a repressive government or an intolerant society, invariably hurts those who lack power and makes everyone less capable of democratic participation.”

Translation, the Former Bag Lady who wrote some kiddy books got caught being a transphobic idiot, and instead of realizing her mistake, kept doubling down on it.

Wow, when Billionaires call themselves victims, it's just obscene.

We noticed that everyone the left disagrees with is a bigot and a racist ...because youre simplistic morons ...

naw, we usually point out the bigotry when we see it.

Let's not forget, this all started when JK didn't want to call Trans women as women, even though that is what they identify as. She kept escalating until the LGBT community finally got fed up with her shit and slapped back.

Frankly, I'm kind of mystified by this whole thing. I think I've known two Trans people in my entire life.... it's a lot of effort to expand over something that doesn't really effect you.

I'm reading another article and it seems she is upset with "Public Shaming" of people for what they say.

That is a cornerstone of society. We get nowhere as a society if people never spoke up to say "you are wrong".

Deciding you don't want to purchase the work of someone you disagree with is not censorship.

Now if the government decides to not allow her to speak, then I'll join her.
Where did you come up with that definition? :cuckoo:

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient."

Saying "I disagree with you" is not censorship. Who has stopped J.K. from talking?

I'm reading another article and it seems she is upset with "Public Shaming" of people for what they say.

That is a cornerstone of society. We get nowhere as a society if people never spoke up to say "you are wrong".
If it were just "you are wrong" followed by reasonable discourse on WHY, nobody would have a problem.

But, it's not.

It's "you are a racist, sexist, homophobic, xenomorph" with no discourse and a demand for punishment.

Completely NOT liberal!!!

Deciding you don't want to purchase the work of someone you disagree with is not censorship.

Now if the government decides to not allow her to speak, then I'll join her.

Calling for companies to fire someone because you disagree with them is, it just isn't government censorship.

It's petty and cruel, especially over things like words a person says.

Forum List

Back