Oops: CBO Says GOP Health Care ‘Alternative’ Leaves 52 Million Uninsured By 2019

Why should I pay it?

You're paying it now. So, if you don't change anything, we will continue to have millions uninsured, overcrowded emergency rooms and you will STILL be paying for it.
ED as 'primary care' is the most inefficient means of providing care, adding billions to our costs as well as reducing the quality of healthcare provided.

Ayup. Anyone who has worked in healthcare will say tell you that, which is why my uncle, who is a rapid conservative on pretty much every other issue I can think of, supports universal health care.

It appears there are those who are so entrenched in hyper-partisan rhetoric, that they will pay double what they should be paying just to protect their rhetoric.

Sad and tragic .... but not completely unexpected.

Actually, most of us would like to see a system where individuals take responsibility for themselves, instead of elevating every one of their wants into a right, thereby forcing the responsible to take care of the Left.

And now we just venture into more meaningless rhetoric which assumes that most people without health insurance could easily afford it but are just too cheap to buy it.

Them's your words. Whether or not someone can afford health insurance is not my concern, nor my problem. There will always be people who cant afford it, and those that refuse to pay for it. The real question is why those folks have prioritized their lives the way the have, and whether the shortcomings of the path they have taken should be resolved by the rest of us.

They sure can be.

If I fail to get insurance, fail to save up for a medical emergency, and end up in an emergency room, how would you describe my decision-making process?
If you didn't have the resources to do so, or was denied insurance so that you couldn't have it regardless of ability to pay, how would you describe that?

Then he'd say you shouldn't have chose to have a preexisting condition.

http://cbo.gov/ftpdocs/107xx/doc10705/hr3962amendmentBoehner.pdf

By 2019, CBO and JCT estimate, the number of nonelderly people without health insurance would be reduced by about 3 million relative to current law, leaving about 52 million nonelderly residents uninsured. The share of legal nonelderly residents with insurance coverage in 2019 would be about 83 percent, roughly in line with the current share. CBO and JCT estimate that enacting the amendment’s insurance coverage provisions would increase deficits by $8 billion over the 2010–2019 period.

House Republicans offer alternative healthcare proposal -- latimes.com

By comparison, the House Democratic bill would reduce the number of nonelderly Americans without coverage to around 18 million over the next decade.

» Republicans Preparing Alternative Health Care Reform Bill The Speakers Lobby « FOXNews.com

Boehner was thin on details about the Republican bill. But his spokesman Kevin Smith said indicated that the Republican effort "will cover millions more Americans" than the Democrats’ plan.

:rofl:

View attachment 8616

No wonder Republicans never truly released any sort of plan, it fucking sucks.

That is only due to the fact that the polpulation wouuld grow by then.

If I fail to get insurance, fail to save up for a medical emergency, and end up in an emergency room, how would you describe my decision-making process?
If you didn't have the resources to do so, or was denied insurance so that you couldn't have it regardless of ability to pay, how would you describe that?

Right. I suppose we ought to force insurance to cover accidents that happen before coverage was obtained. Good idea. Cant see any problem with that plan....

Actually, most of us would like to see a system where individuals take responsibility for themselves, instead of elevating every one of their wants into a right, thereby forcing the responsible to take care of the Left.

And now we just venture into more meaningless rhetoric which assumes that most people without health insurance could easily afford it but are just too cheap to buy it.

Them's your words. Whether or not someone can afford health insurance is not my concern, nor my problem. There will always be people who cant afford it, and those that refuse to pay for it. The real question is why those folks have prioritized their lives the way the have, and whether the shortcomings of the path they have taken should be resolved by the rest of us.

Those aren't my words. That's your attitude. Of course, you won't say in that callous of a matter, but that's your belief.

Right. I suppose we ought to force insurance to cover accidents that happen before coverage was obtained. Good idea. Cant see any problem with that plan....

This just goes to show you don't know jack shit about the topic. No one is saying that you should be able to get insurance to cover an operation you had last year. What is being said is that it's asinine that if a man beat his wife twenty years, she can't get any insurance coverage today.

Those aren't my words. That's your attitude. Of course, you won't say in that callous of a matter, but that's your belief.

No, its not my belief. I am well aware that there are many reasons so many people cant afford insurance. And for the vast majority their inability is self chosen. If you wait until you get cancer to try to get health insurance- its your own damn fault no private insurer will take you. You gambled, you lost.

If you own a car, have cable and internet access, and live in a three bedroom home when you could live in a one bedroom apt for half as much, yet you do not have health insurance- that's your doing.

If you are thirty-five and working as a WalMart greeter and cant afford insurance- Im ok with that.

This just goes to show you don't know jack shit about the topic. No one is saying that you should be able to get insurance to cover an operation you had last year. What is being said is that it's asinine that if a man beat his wife twenty years, she can't get any insurance coverage today.

any evidence that this has ever happened, and if it did, how frequently? WHich insurers denied her?

perhaps your issue is not with denying pre-existing conditions- but with what insurers consider pre-existing conditions....

and I wasn't talking about an operation I had las year. I was talking about an illness that strikes when one is uninsured. IE a preexisting condition

any evidence that this has ever happened, and if it did, how frequently? WHich insurers denied her?

If you have a preexisting condition, you will not be issued a policy. You've been working on the assumption that a preexisting condition bars you from getting coverage for that condition. It doesn't. It prevents you from getting coverage at all.

And insurers are allowed to consider domestic violence is a preexisting condition is eight states and the District of Columbia.

Domestic violence as pre-existing condition? 8 states still allow it | McClatchy

perhaps your issue is not with denying pre-existing conditions- but with what insurers consider pre-existing conditions....

That's the whole point. Everything is considered a pre-existing condition for everything else.

The new Democrat plan is awaiting CBO number crunching. Since the liberals and Dems are hawking them at the moment. What do you think Obama should do if the number greater than his $900b. limit? If it is a deficit builder?

It was less than $73b. away at 1500 pages. It is now at 1900 pages. Are 400 pages going to cost less than $73b.?

Yay, let's sit around talking about the Republicans plan that doesn't have a half a chance of passing instead of discussing the majority's bill that's only marginally better and way more expensive!

Because the difference between covering three million more people and covering 30 more is marginal.

If you have a preexisting condition, you will not be issued a policy. You've been working on the assumption that a preexisting condition bars you from getting coverage for that condition. It doesn't. It prevents you from getting coverage at all.

And insurers are allowed to consider domestic violence is a preexisting condition is eight states and the District of Columbia.

Domestic violence as pre-existing condition? 8 states still allow it | McClatchy

Hmm... change a law in eight states versus modify the entire health care industry. Which sounds cheaper to you? Change everything for the 16% who have a problem. Same logic behind fix health care coverage for the 10% who don't have it at the risk to the rest who do. Not smart.

Ive been working under no such assumption. You are- namely that if you have a preexisting condition you cant get coverage. WHich is far too broad to be true. I know. I had back surgery in 2002 when I was uninsured. While I was recovering, I was able to get insurance.

you have presented not a single case of a woman denied coverage because of domestic violence.

That's the whole point. Everything is considered a pre-existing condition for everything else.

Wow. Im surprised so many millions have insurance, what with your loony statement...

what i think is interesting is how the democrats try to pick apart the repubs bill. they laugh at how it will only insure 3 million more. theyre missing the point. just because the dems plan covers 36 million more people isnt something to praise. they play up that statistic like its some accomplishment, yet they dont even acknowledge that the reason they are able to cover 36 more people is by way of force. if you mandate that everyone MUST have healthcare than its only obvious that more people will have it. its stupid to even give credit to such a faulty premise.

Forum List

Back