Oooo I just did it

View attachment 683181

They are evil asshole bugs, that's what they are. They build large nests, and sting anyone who comes near it. They are VERY defensive, and super painful when they sting.
We must have a less aggressive branch of the family up this way. I haven't had any problem with them. I see them around, but they keep to themselves and I keep to myself. I do kill their nests when I see them though.

After 12 years of having bees, and then getting stung by them last year and this, I just nuked the fuck out of their hive with wasp-spray. I soaked the motherfucker proper!

They wanna try to sting me because I'm mowing my grass, and I can't have that. They never were a problem before a couple years ago. Now it seems they hate my lawnmower and the vibration from it riles them up.

Well, I just filled their hole with poison and it ran down my arm, too. We'll see if I can cut the grass tomorrow. I dropped the can and ran because I heard them start swarming, I'm not stupid. It's a hive I've let grow for 12 years. I hate that it's come to this, but I can't be afraid to mow my own grass.

Oooo shit, they're all on the back light now. Little do they know that whole area is coated with poison that kills them if they walk on it. Looks like I got the hive riled up, anyway. Evidence points to that they were Africanized. Needed to die.
I would hope you weren't stupid enough to do this to a hive of honeybees, but likely you are as ignorant on the details as many in the general public.

Wasps, yellow-jackets, hornets, etc. are a different branch of this rather large insect clan, and usually are the more hostile and aggressive sorts. Honeybees hesitate to attack since they get only one sting and die, and the hive/colony has better use for them gathering nectar and pollen.

As one whom kept honeybees for a few years recently, I get chagrined at the stupid idiots whom can't make the distinctions from peaceful and useful pollinators such as honeybees, bumble bees, miner bees, etc. Even the wasps, yellow-jackets, hornets, etc. serve a useful purpose in hunting/preying other insect pests.

Sounds like you may have had a nest of 'wasps, yellow-jackets, hornets, etc.' rather than a hive of honeybees. Honeybees that swarm to find a new home usually go for some cluster of tree branches or opening to soffits or other less used and trafficked parts of human made structures. They may have to do some fabrication of outer structure, but usually seek a large open area in which to start making comb and laying eggs and packing in nectar~becomes honey, and pollen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Honey bee - Wikipedia

honeybee | Characteristics, Habitat, Life Cycle, & Facts

Honeybee | National Geographic - Animals

Honey Bees - Facts, Information & Pictures - Animal Corner

Honey Bee - Description, Habitat, Image, Diet, and Interesting Facts

I would hope you weren't stupid enough to do this to a hive of honeybees, but likely you are as ignorant on the details as many in the general public.

Wasps, yellow-jackets, hornets, etc. are a different branch of this rather large insect clan, and usually are the more hostile and aggressive sorts. Honeybees hesitate to attack since they get only one sting and die, and the hive/colony has better use for them gathering nectar and pollen.

As one whom kept honeybees for a few years recently, I get chagrined at the stupid idiots whom can't make the distinctions from peaceful and useful pollinators such as honeybees, bumble bees, miner bees, etc. Even the wasps, yellow-jackets, hornets, etc. serve a useful purpose in hunting/preying other insect pests.

Sounds like you may have had a nest of 'wasps, yellow-jackets, hornets, etc.' rather than a hive of honeybees. Honeybees that swarm to find a new home usually go for some cluster of tree branches or opening to soffits or other less used and trafficked parts of human made structures. They may have to do some fabrication of outer structure, but usually seek a large open area in which to start making comb and laying eggs and packing in nectar~becomes honey, and pollen.
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Honey bee - Wikipedia

honeybee | Characteristics, Habitat, Life Cycle, & Facts

Honeybee | National Geographic - Animals

Honey Bees - Facts, Information & Pictures - Animal Corner

Honey Bee - Description, Habitat, Image, Diet, and Interesting Facts

They're Africanized, moron. Perhaps today if it doesn't rain, I'm gonna implement the new plan: Smoky fire underneath the hive.

This is the problem:
  • The Africanized Bee guards the hive aggressively, with a larger alarm zone around the hive.​
  • The Africanized Bee has a higher proportion of ‘guard’ bees within the hive.​
  • The Africanized Bee deploys in greater numbers for defence and pursues perceived threats over much longer distances from the hive.​

That "alarm zone is where I gotta mow my grass. They never used to bother me, but they are

going to go elsewhere now. Been stung about 10x this year and I'm over it. Last time I waited

until almost dark and still 2 hit me.

Last edited:
They're Africanized, moron. Perhaps today if it doesn't rain, I'm gonna implement the new plan: Smoky fire underneath the hive.

This is the problem:
  • The Africanized Bee guards the hive aggressively, with a larger alarm zone around the hive.​
  • The Africanized Bee has a higher proportion of ‘guard’ bees within the hive.​
  • The Africanized Bee deploys in greater numbers for defence and pursues perceived threats over much longer distances from the hive.​

That "alarm zone is where I gotta mow my grass. They never used to bother me, but they are

going to go elsewhere now. Been stung about 10x this year and I'm over it. Last time I waited

until almost dark and still 2 hit me.
I see insulting and ad homenim are your typical style, so I'll respond in similar style. Civility and respect aren't your strong suit it seems.
As for "moron" this applies more in your case since;
1) You obviously don't know much accurate detail about various "bees", especially honeybees - -.
2) The bulk of your descriptions don't fit~apply to honeybees, but rather to the usual more aggressive sorts that are in the wasp, hornet, yellow-jacket categories.

BTW, you are a dis-service to your user name and avatar;
~~~~~~~~~
For a start dickhead, you don't know much of what you are talking about.
Only (western) Honeybees -Apis mellifera - can be "Africanized", this coming from another strain of honeybee( Apis mellifera ) from Africa.

See this excerpt from the bottom of your link (which you should read all the way through, BTW);

Africanized Bee Venom​

The venom of an Africanized bee is no more potent than that of a normal honey bee, but since the former subspecies tends to sting in greater numbers, the number of deaths from them are greater than any other subspecies. However, allergic reaction to bee venom from any bee can kill a person and it is difficult to estimate how many more people have died due to the presence of Africanized bees.

Gentle Africanized Bees​

Not all Africanized hives are defensive. Some are quite gentle, which gives a beginning point for beekeepers to breed a gentler stock. This has been done in Brazil, where bee incidents are much less common than they were during the first wave of the Africanized bees’ colonization. Now that the Africanized bee has been ‘re-domesticated’, it is considered the bee of choice for beekeeping in Brazil. It is better adapted to the tropics and so is healthier and more industrious than European bees.
........ And from earlier in your link.

Africanized Bees are also known as Africanized Honey Bees as they are a honey producing bee. Africanized Bees are also known as ‘Killer Bees‘ and are hybrids of the African Honey Bee and various European Honey Bees. The Africanized Bee in the western hemisphere descended from 26 Tanzanian queen bees (A. m. scutellata) accidentally released by a replacement bee keeper in 1957.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other "bees" can not be "Africanized", and as I said, many other types of "bees" such as wasps, yellow-jackets, hornets, etc. can be equal if not more aggressive and engage frequent attacks/stings.

Often these other non-honeybees, because they also are yellow with black strips looking sort of like honeybees are mis-identified by the public as "bees"~"honeybees". This mis-identification and ignorance on behavior of honeybees versus other similar "bees" has a majority of people using the generic term "bees" to cover not only beneficial and 'harmless' types like honey bee, bumble bee, mining bee, etc. but also the more harmful and aggressive sorts like wasps, hornets, yellow-jackets.

As I said, having been a keeper of honey bees for several years, this confusion and ignorance on types of "bees" has been an ongoing education effort. Also can be troublesome when we get persons claiming they have a "swarm of bees" they want removed and such turns out to be wasps, hornets, etc.

As I tried to point out, and will now provide for others reading here, we'll start with some basic information/facts. Next post.

Last edited:

Types of Bees and How to Identify Them (Pictures, Names, Identification)​

Animals
bee identification - Bee Species Identification Chart

EmailPinterestFacebookTwitterLinkedin
Bees are small flying insects, common in summer gardens flying from flower to flower. Most bee species are recognizable by their striped fuzzy bodies—often with black and yellow or orange markings. There are 20,000 species of bees, and the most common – the Western honey bee (Apis mellifera) – is famous for producing honey.

This article is a guide to the most popular species of bees you will find in your garden. Along with pictures of common bees, descriptions of these flying types of insects will help identify various bee species.

How to Identify Bees​

The best way to identify species of bees is by observing their shape, size, color, and habitats. However, bee identification can be tricky, and many species have similar characteristics. It may be easy to tell a bumble bee and honey bee apart, but identifying other bee species is challenging.
For example, bumble bees have fuzzy bodies with black and yellow stripes and are larger than honey bees. Most carpenter bees are similar to bumblebees but are mostly black, and they have shorter hairs.

The colors of bees vary from species to species. Many types of honey bees are brown or tan colors. However, larger carpenter bees are mostly black. Some bumble bee species can also be black, or some have black, white, and yellow markings. There are also fascinating bee species that have shiny green metallic colors.

Bees vs. Wasps – How to Tell the Difference​

Close up pictures showing a bee and a wasp

Close up pictures of a honey bee (left) and a wasp (right)

Bees and wasps are closely related, and both belong to the insect order Hymenoptera. One way to tell bees and wasps apart is by the smoothness of their body. Wasps tend to have slender, smooth bodies, whereas bees have a furry appearance and are plumper. Also, bees can only sting once before dying, but wasps can sting multiple times.

Facts About Bees​

Bees, especially honey bees, are generally social creatures that live in large colonies. A single hive can contain between 20,000 and 80,000 worker bees. A bee colony is also highly organized, with a queen, drones, and workers caring for the beehive.

Even though many species of bees swarm in large groups, other species are solitary creatures.
Bees play a vital role in most ecosystems. Bees are crucial for pollinating flowers so that we have crops of fruit and vegetables every year. Also, bees produce honey, a delicious sweet food enjoyed by humans, animals, and birds.

Although many bees are species of stinging insects, they are generally not aggressive. Bees are usually docile creatures and don’t attack humans. However, Africanized bees are aggressive and territorial insects. The problem is that Africanized honey bees look like regular honey bees—Apis mellifera—and can attack without being provoked.

Bees feed on pollen and nectar from flowering plants. As bumblebees, carpenter bees, and honey bees move from plant to plant, they pollinate the flowers. Honey bees then take the nectar and pollen back to the colony where they produce honey—a food source for bees that never leaves the hive.

Types of Bees with Names and Pictures (Including Bee Identification Guide)​

Here is a list of different types of bees you might find buzzing around your garden (including bee identification guide with images).

Western Honey Bee (Apis mellifera)​

Picture of Western honey bee or European honey bee (Apis mellifera)

The Western honey bee has black and orange-yellow bands on the abdomen and hair on the thorax

Western honey bees have black and tan-yellow stripes on their slender bodies. Western honey bees are easy to identify as they have a honey-colored look and a relatively smooth abdomen. Honey bees have three pairs of fuzzy black legs, a pair of antennae, and two pairs of wings.
As with all bees, honey bees have a body in three segments—a head, thorax, and abdomen. The females’ hind legs have pollen pouches that they use to transport pollen back to the hive.
Western honey bees are also called European honey bees – these winged insects are the primary bee species used for honey production. Western honey bees are popular with beekeepers because they are not aggressive and produce plenty of honey.

Although there are over 20,000 bee species in the world, there are only eight honey bee species. These honey-producing insects in the genus Apis include the eastern honey bee (Apis cerana), the giant honey bee (Apis dorsata), and Koschevnikov’s honey bee (Apis koschevnikovi).

Western honey bee identification​

Western honey bees have a hairy brown-colored thorax and black and dark orange bands on their relatively smooth abdomen. Look for pollen baskets (corbicula) on their black hind legs. Honey bees can grow up to 1/2” (1.2 cm) long.

Bumble Bee (Bombus)​

Bumble Bee (Bombus)

Bumble bees can be identified by their fuzzy appearance and large black and yellow body with a white tail

Bumble bees are easy to spot with their round fuzzy bodies with black and yellow stripes and white tails. Depending on the bumble bee species, they may have red or yellow tails. There are 250 individual species of bumble bees, most of which have similar identifying features.
The name bumble bee literally means to buzz, hum, or move clumsily. This descriptive name accurately depicts their bumble behavior as they feed on flower pollen and nectar.

Unlike honey bees, bumble bees live in nests and smaller colonies. They only store small amounts of food in the nest. Also, bumble bees have a wider body and fuzzier appearance compared to honey bees. Similar to honey bees, bumble bees have pollen sacs on their hind legs.

Bumble bee identification​

Bumble bees are large bees with hairy bodies and legs. Look for distinctive yellow and black bands and tails that are generally white, but could also be yellow or red. Bumble bees grow up to 0.6” (1.7 cm).

.....​

@ 35 others in this link, with good color ID photos.

Insects That Look Like Bees (Flies, Wasps, Bugs) with Pictures and Identification (@17)​

Animals
Insects That Look Like Bees

Many insects mimic bees in their appearance, behavior, flying action, and size. Wasps are the most obvious bee mimics because of their black and yellow striped bodies and ability to cause a painful sting. However, some black and yellow flies, moths, beetles, and ants look remarkably like bees. Apart from wasps and hornets, many of the bugs that look like bees are relatively harmless. So, being able to identify insects that look like bees can help to spot harmless bugs from stinging ones.

In many cases, it’s easy to spot bee lookalikes by examining the body, antennae, and behavior. For example, bees have an identifiable furry body that is relatively stout. However, bee mimics such as wasps, hoverflies, bee flies, and beetles tend to have smooth bodies. In addition, while insects that resemble bees are generally pollinators, some flying insects, especially wasps, are more aggressive insects than bees.
honey bee

A honey bee (in the picture) is characterized by its furry body, 2 pairs of wings and long antenna
This article is a guide to identifying various bug-like insects that look like bees. Descriptions and pictures of bee mimics will help to spot harmless flies, beetles, and ants from stinging bees. You will also learn how to tell the difference between bees and wasps.

What Are Bee Mimics?

Bee mimics are bugs, flies, wasps, and other insects that are easy to mistake for bees. The bee-like insects usually have a dark body with yellow stripes—characteristics of honeybees and other bee species. In addition, some bee lookalikes have stingers, either real ones like wasps have, or imitation ones.

Bee mimics use their behavior and appearance to ward off predators. Some insects resembling bees have fuzzy hairs, make buzzing sounds, and have a similar body form. For example, one type of bee-like fly has a long protruding tongue that looks like an extended stinger.

What Insects Look Like Bees?

Wasps are the most common flying insects that are mistaken for bees. However, their slender, smooth bodies soon give them away as not being bees. Hoverflies are the bugs that most resemble honeybees. The solitary insects are hairy and look and act just like you’d expect a typical bee to behave.

The yellow-jacket moth, bee-fly, European hornet, bee beetle, and the four-spotted velvet ant are other common bee-like insects.

...​

I see insulting and ad homenim are your typical style, so I'll respond in similar style. Civility and respect aren't your strong suit it seems.
1) You obviously don't know much accurate detail about various "bees", especially honeybees - -.
2) The bulk of your descriptions don't fit~apply to honeybees, but rather to the usual more aggressive sorts that are in the wasp, hornet, yellow-jacket categories.

~~~~~~~~~
Only (western) Honeybees -Apis mellifera - can be "Africanized", this coming from another strain of honeybee( Apis mellifera ) from Africa.

See this excerpt from the bottom of your link (which you should read all the way through, BTW);

Africanized Bee Venom​

The venom of an Africanized bee is no more potent than that of a normal honey bee, but since the former subspecies tends to sting in greater numbers, the number of deaths from them are greater than any other subspecies. However, allergic reaction to bee venom from any bee can kill a person and it is difficult to estimate how many more people have died due to the presence of Africanized bees.

Gentle Africanized Bees​

Not all Africanized hives are defensive. Some are quite gentle, which gives a beginning point for beekeepers to breed a gentler stock. This has been done in Brazil, where bee incidents are much less common than they were during the first wave of the Africanized bees’ colonization. Now that the Africanized bee has been ‘re-domesticated’, it is considered the bee of choice for beekeeping in Brazil. It is better adapted to the tropics and so is healthier and more industrious than European bees.

Africanized Bees are also known as Africanized Honey Bees as they are a honey producing bee. Africanized Bees are also known as ‘Killer Bees‘ and are hybrids of the African Honey Bee and various European Honey Bees. The Africanized Bee in the western hemisphere descended from 26 Tanzanian queen bees (A. m. scutellata) accidentally released by a replacement bee keeper in 1957.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other "bees" can not be "Africanized", and as I said, many other types of "bees" such as wasps, yellow-jackets, hornets, etc. can be equal if not more aggressive and engage frequent attacks/stings.

Often these other non-honeybees, because they also are yellow with black strips looking sort of like honeybees are mis-identified by the public as "bees"~"honeybees". This mis-identification and ignorance on behavior of honeybees versus other similar "bees" has a majority of people using the generic term "bees" to cover not only beneficial and 'harmless' types like honey bee, bumble bee, mining bee, etc. but also the more harmful and aggressive sorts like wasps, hornets, yellow-jackets.

As I said, having been a keeper of honey bees for several years, this confusion and ignorance on types of "bees" has been an ongoing education effort. Also can be troublesome when we get persons claiming they have a "swarm of bees" they want removed and such turns out to be wasps, hornets, etc.

As I tried to point out, and will now provide for others reading here, we'll start with some basic information/facts. Next post.
They're not as fuzzy and square now and the hind-ends are more pointed. They are Africanized honeybees. I'll probably end up up killing them all, but the hive that used to be there were good honeybees and migrated out. Today will be the deciding factor because I gotta mow the grass.

If I get stung even once today, they all die. If they even try to sting me today, they all die.

Update: I mowed the grass today all around where they are and they didn't bother me.

I did have to poison some, but I don't have to kill them all. I've let them be there for over a decade even though somebody said I should kill them. Trust me, if I want them dead, they will be dead. An old cousin of mine taught me how to kill bees in the middle of the night. However, they didn't mess with me when I mowed today, so they're alright! :D

They're still very active, but not concerned with my mowing activities. That's a good thing!
It's a win/win. That's just what I wanted.

The next step actually would have been to smoke them out of there and probably they'd go to my garage after that and I'd smoke them out of there and hopefully they wouldn't migrate to some nether regions of my attic. But I would put something up in the attic to smoke them out if I had to. Now it's all good!

Last edited:

~~~~~~~~~

Africanized Bee Venom​

Gentle Africanized Bees​

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So..you want 'em? I'll bring 'em right to ya!

Oh, I was having trouble with 'em whipping around last night all loud. Probably time for a little moar genocide of bees.

We'll see what happens the next time I mow. Next time if they wanna be dicks there's no quarter for them.

can't that pulsating pink intro mascot of yers take care of 'em? they take one look at that thing & they'll vamoose!

So..you want 'em? I'll bring 'em right to ya!

Oh, I was having trouble with 'em whipping around last night all loud. Probably time for a little moar genocide of bees.

We'll see what happens the next time I mow. Next time if they wanna be dicks there's no quarter for them.
1) I live in the PNW, about 100 miles North of Seattle and about less than a dozen miles from the Canadian border. So if you are so close to me and want to "deliver" than PM me so I can come by and see what you have, first, before trying to round up and transport.
2) The whole point of the post exchanges from several months ago was to underscore how one shouldn't rush to judgement upon Nature and it's flora and fauna if one lacks basic knowledge of what has been encountered and how best to deal with it.
3) When it comes to small insects about an inch in size, yellow-black coloring, flying, and potential "pest"; there could be thousands to chose from on a global scale and without a more narrow geographic fix on your location, becomes hard to determine the range of what you may be encountering and dealing with. Making it even more difficult to determine if you are dealing with something that is a real pest or just beyond your skill level to deal with.
4) As I tried to make clear in my previous posts, to many of those in the ignorant (don't know anything or better) general public, "bees" applies to any yellow and black flying insect and could range from honeybees (positive and productive beneficial) to wasps/hornets/"pests" (negative and nuisance) sorts, but is a term used inaccurately in a majority of occasions.
5) Since you seem to have no clear idea what specific species of insect you are dealing with, You are more likely to do harm rather than benefit to Nature(Environment) with your actions and hence a rather ill responsible fellow being/resident of this world.
6) Odds are there is a local "honey bee keepers" club in your area you could find and consult before being an ogre to the environment.

7) What we do to Nature in this lifetime will be return visited upon us, if not later in this lifetime, than in the next one.

We all reap what we sow.

1) I live in the PNW, about 100 miles North of Seattle and about less than a dozen miles from the Canadian border. So if you are so close to me and want to "deliver" than PM me so I can come by and see what you have, first, before trying to round up and transport.
2) The whole point of the post exchanges from several months ago was to underscore how one shouldn't rush to judgement upon Nature and it's flora and fauna if one lacks basic knowledge of what has been encountered and how best to deal with it.
3) When it comes to small insects about an inch in size, yellow-black coloring, flying, and potential "pest"; there could be thousands to chose from on a global scale and without a more narrow geographic fix on your location, becomes hard to determine the range of what you may be encountering and dealing with. Making it even more difficult to determine if you are dealing with something that is a real pest or just beyond your skill level to deal with.
4) As I tried to make clear in my previous posts, to many of those in the ignorant (don't know anything or better) general public, "bees" applies to any yellow and black flying insect and could range from honeybees (positive and productive beneficial) to wasps/hornets/"pests" (negative and nuisance) sorts, but is a term used inaccurately in a majority of occasions.
5) Since you seem to have no clear idea what specific species of insect you are dealing with, You are more likely to do harm rather than benefit to Nature(Environment) with your actions and hence a rather ill responsible fellow being/resident of this world.
6) Odds are there is a local "honey bee keepers" club in your area you could find and consult before being an ogre to the environment.

7) What we do to Nature in this lifetime will be return visited upon us, if not later in this lifetime, than in the next one.

We all reap what we sow.
Fuck you! They're Africanized Honey Bees. They're on my land and I'll do what the fuck I want.

I've let then live for..a decade+ now. Actually I think this is a different hive and the old one moved out.

The old ones never got aggressive with me. So if they get aggressive, I'm gonna clean their clocks!

Go Fuck Yourself, you longwinded shitbag! I know exactly what they are, and I know what you are, too.

Oh, they got me good today. I look like I got the crap kicked out of me.

I was all happy mowin' with a fresh tank of gas, tires aired up just right, greased...

And I'm headed deep into a hedge to get close and they start hittin' me, I didn't know what, at first I figured a brown hornet paper wasp

thing in the hedge. I backed out and hauled ass down the block with the blade engaged. Oh no. It was the bees again.

I pulled stingers out from above my eyebrow, cheek, back of hand where there's a lot of nerves.

So I'm going for total eradication this time.

Hundreds died tonight and more will die tomorrow, and the next day, and the next day, until they're all dead.

Bees gonna die tonight, too.
Where are they nesting? Are you sure they are bees and not yellowjackets? We have yellowjackets in this area and they nest in the ground. Firefighters are always coming across them fighting fire. They'll step in a nest of them and they are VERY aggressive. The stings are much more painful than a common bee.

Bees gonna die tonight, too.
Where are they nesting? Are you sure they are bees and not yellowjackets? We have yellowjackets in this area and they nest in the ground. Firefighters are always coming across them fighting fire. They'll step in a nest of them and they are VERY aggressive. The stings are much more painful than a common bee.
They're Africanized aggressive honey bees.

I've killed yellowjackets, too.

View attachment 683181

They are evil asshole bugs, that's what they are. They build large nests, and sting anyone who comes near it. They are VERY defensive, and super painful when they sting.

Husbands father who lived in Carolina was severely attacked by hornets, almost killed him, had to go to hospital.
His brother in Georgia was also sent to hospital from hornet attack.

After 12 years of having bees, and then getting stung by them last year and this, I just nuked the fuck out of their hive with wasp-spray. I soaked the motherfucker proper!

They wanna try to sting me because I'm mowing my grass, and I can't have that. They never were a problem before a couple years ago. Now it seems they hate my lawnmower and the vibration from it riles them up.

Well, I just filled their hole with poison and it ran down my arm, too. We'll see if I can cut the grass tomorrow. I dropped the can and ran because I heard them start swarming, I'm not stupid. It's a hive I've let grow for 12 years. I hate that it's come to this, but I can't be afraid to mow my own grass.

Oooo shit, they're all on the back light now. Little do they know that whole area is coated with poison that kills them if they walk on it. Looks like I got the hive riled up, anyway. Evidence points to that they were Africanized. Needed to die.
afraid to mow your own grass?

:auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back