On this day in 1960

Baltimore either blew it, or the Jets had a good enough defense to stop them in the Red Zone :dunno:
I think the Jets had three interceptions in or near the end zone
Baltimores Walt Michaels missed two FGs of about 30 yards

Right before the half, Earl Moral ignored a wide open Rich Volk for a TD and threw into double coverage for an Int

Maz got into the HOF 30 years after he retired.
Great defensive second baseman but hardly an all time great.
There are team owners in the HOF whose greatest achievement was being born into the right family. One doesn`t need to be an all time great to make it. If that were the case, there wouldn`t be more than a few dozen members.

Given that Baseball today profits off of organized gambling on the game……continued outrage over Rose placing bets seems shallow.
Rose has paid a heavy price for his gambling obsession

Time to let it go

Baseball has always benefited from gambling ... why do you think that allows Baseball to throw games for profit? ... do you think all the Dodgers who bet on Arizona sweeping them are okay? ... they made a ton of money ...

That's what you want to let go? ... or do we use Pete Rose as the whipping boy for all time? ... as a SF Giants fan, I'm more than happy to draw, hang and quarter Barry Bonds ... druggies don't belong in the HOF ... and it makes me laugh to see his pathetic face humbled down selling end tables in low-volume markets ... thank God his dear sweet father passed before it came to this ... my earliest memory at the 'Stick was Bobby Bonds dropping a routine fly ball ...

Joe did not even have a good game in SB III
Baltimore blew the game

They drove inside the Jet 20 five times in the first half and came away with zero points
It was about the moment that withstood the test of time. Moments deserve to be in the HOF.. perhaps they should separate moments from players instead of boosting players to get the moment into the HOF

Baseball has always benefited from gambling ... why do you think that allows Baseball to throw games for profit? ... do you think all the Dodgers who bet on Arizona sweeping them are okay? ... they made a ton of money ...

That's what you want to let go? ... or do we use Pete Rose as the whipping boy for all time? ... as a SF Giants fan, I'm more than happy to draw, hang and quarter Barry Bonds ... druggies don't belong in the HOF ... and it makes me laugh to see his pathetic face humbled down selling end tables in low-volume markets ... thank God his dear sweet father passed before it came to this ... my earliest memory at the 'Stick was Bobby Bonds dropping a routine fly ball ...
Pete Rose was banned because someone gambling may be tempted to cheat

Someone using steroids IS cheating

Pete Rose was banned because someone gambling may be tempted to cheat

Someone using steroids IS cheating

They did cheat the 1919 World Series ... so gambling was banned for all baseball players ... to this very day ...

Rule 21(d)(2): "Any player, umpire, or Club or League official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform, shall be declared permanently ineligible."

Pete Rose bet on Cincinnati Reds games while he played for the Cincinnati Reds ... he is "permanently ineligible" for any activity sponsored by MLB ... the only controversy is whether Baseball's Hall of Fame needs to ban him as well ... HoF is a separate entity from MLB ... they could let him in over MLB protests ... I think that might be a bad business decision by the HoF ... people won't pay the admission price to see cheaters ...

Being permanently banned from baseball is infamous ... not famous ... just like Barry, Bobby and Donald ... Pete needs to be inducted into the Hall of Fame at Statesville Prison ...

They did cheat the 1919 World Series ... so gambling was banned for all baseball players ... to this very day ...

Rule 21(d)(2): "Any player, umpire, or Club or League official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform, shall be declared permanently ineligible."

Pete Rose bet on Cincinnati Reds games while he played for the Cincinnati Reds ... he is "permanently ineligible" for any activity sponsored by MLB ... the only controversy is whether Baseball's Hall of Fame needs to ban him as well ... HoF is a separate entity from MLB ... they could let him in over MLB protests ... I think that might be a bad business decision by the HoF ... people won't pay the admission price to see cheaters ...

Being permanently banned from baseball is infamous ... not famous ... just like Barry, Bobby and Donald ... Pete needs to be inducted into the Hall of Fame at Statesville Prison ...
Barry Bonds needs to be at the forefront of the Hall of Fame.. a 7 time MVP.

Mr. Rose already served time in prison.

BTW, Rose was admitted to the WWE Hall of Fame, the tremendous Celebrity Wing that President Trump was enshrined in.

Mr. Rose already served time in prison.

BTW, Rose was admitted to the WWE Hall of Fame, the tremendous Celebrity Wing that President Trump was enshrined in.

It was a "life without parole" sentence ... Rule 21 is clear ... the ban is permanent ... Mr. Rose serves his "prison time" when he's dead ...

But if think players should be able to bet on their opposition ... and then throw the match for financial gain ... then that's you, just another cheater ... Baseball's HoF doen't want you ...

Last edited:
Baltimore either blew it, or the Jets had a good enough defense to stop them in the Red Zone :dunno:
I think it was the Jets defense.
As I recall, In the NFL championship game, prior to the superbowl, the Colts scored repeatedly against the Browns, and came in with a 13-1 record, but only managed 7 points against the Jets, and the Jets first score of the superbowl game was on an interception.

I got to know the Colts former tight end John Mackey, many years later, and he talked a lot about that game.

If not for the 'roids, he probably wouldn't have been a 7 time MVP'er....who knows.

But, cheaters shouldn't be enshrined IMO.
History needs to be told, and that’s what a HOF is.. history. It’s like having a historical museum of the world but leaving WW2 out because it was too bad.

Bonds cheated, (was already a HOF player before he did, that’s another issue)…but you can’t tell the story of baseball without him.

This is just mostly another example of poindexters who never succeeded in sports undercutting people they don’t like.. whether through being sports “journalists” or bashing online.

Sports isn’t the cub scouts

History needs to be told, and that’s what a HOF is.. history. It’s like having a historical museum of the world but leaving WW2 out because it was too bad.

Bonds cheated, (was already a HOF player before he did, that’s another issue)…but you can’t tell the story of baseball without him.

This is just mostly another example of poindexters who never succeeded in sports undercutting people they don’t like.. whether through being sports “journalists” or bashing online.

Yeah, right. :laughing0301:
Rewarding a cheater with a HOF entry under the guise of telling the story, huh?
Thanks for your opinion, but don't try selling that to me, I'm not buying in, okay?
He may, or may not have been HOF material without the use of 'roids.
It certainly isn't fair to the rest of the players who were legit without using drugs.

You want to tell the story? Write a chapter on it and let the readers know
the consequences of it.
Sports insn't the cub scouts, but it's a game that should be played on a level field.
Something that is far beyond your comprehension and morals, I see.
Run along, frisco :smoke:

Yeah, right. :laughing0301:
Rewarding a cheater with a HOF entry under the guise of telling the story, huh?
Thanks for your opinion, but don't try selling that to me, I'm not buying in, okay?
He may, or may not have been HOF material without the use of 'roids.
It certainly isn't fair to the rest of the players who were legit without using drugs.

You want to tell the story? Write a chapter on it and let the readers know
the consequences of it.
Sports insn't the cub scouts, but it's a game that should be played on a level field.
Something that is far beyond your comprehension and morals, I see.
Run along, frisco :smoke:

Latino Heat, Eddie Guerrero made it into his sport's HOF even though his slogan was "I lie, I cheat I steal"

Jesse the Body Ventura, similarly stated "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat" and was also elected into the wrestling hall of fame.

At least have an asterisk next to his name.

If not for the 'roids, he probably wouldn't have been a 7 time MVP'er....who knows.

But, cheaters shouldn't be enshrined IMO.

Bobby Bonds fan here ... so I followed his son's career quit closely ... if it wasn't for drugs, we'd be calling him one of the greatest of all time ... even if his HR total fell short ...

... he didn't have to cheat ... and that's the sad part ... he could have had the National League Trophy named after him ... but he cheated ...

Worse with Barry ... even in the clubhouse, he had his own corner where he could act "stand-offish" with his teammates ... never pleasant with the local press ... character flaws that kept him from any World Series wins ...

Bobby Fischer wreaked 400 years of accumulated chess opening theory with just a single move in 1966 ... the Dragon Variation was over-dominate in the Open Game, and it's rarely played today ... he went on to become world chess champion ... all at the expense of developing reasonable inter-personal skills ... the man died in prison ... just an ugly ugly human ...
Bonds, recliner in clubhouse. Single Suite in road. Added into contract. Plus the HGH. Not denied. Not really asked because he was Black?

Latino Heat, Eddie Guerrero made it into his sport's HOF even though his slogan was "I lie, I cheat I steal"

Jesse the Body Ventura, similarly stated "Win if you can, lose if you must but always cheat" and was also elected into the wrestling hall of fame.

Nobody who used steroids should be allowed in the Wrestling HOF

Forum List

Back