On the Nature of Morality

heirtothewind

VIP Member
Oct 17, 2014
Las Vegas NV
The question I pose for discussion is whether morality [our sense of right and wrong] is inherent in us from birth or indoctrinated in us by society.

Conscience is the inner voice that warns us someone might be watching [H. L. Mencken]. I am inclined to this cynical view of human nature. Morality is neither innate nor divinely inspired. Morality is governed by laws which reflect the morals of the society in which we live.

In law, for example, a person is not guilty by reason of insanity if, because of mental disease or defect, he cannot distinguish LEGAL right from wrong. Thus, if a person knows that killing is legally wrong, even though he operates under a delusion that it is morally right [eg, to kill prostitutes], he cannot avail himself of the insanity defense. The courts hold that criminal laws reflect the morals of society; thus, knowing that an act is legally wrong assumes knowing that the act is morally wrong.

The bible [eg, the ten commandments] is not the source of morality but only a reflection of the morality of ancient jews and christians. The law code of Hammurabi pre-dates the ten commandments Moses gave to his people. ''Thou shalt not kill'' is not a universal inherent precept, as the Mayans practiced human sacrifice.

Morality changes with society. Slavery was once embraced in American society but is now abhorrent. Divorce was once taboo but now is commonplace. Were morality inherent in us from birth, then society would remain stagnate.

For these reasons, I believe morality is a product of societal indoctrination.

I invite your opinion.

The question I pose for discussion is whether morality [our sense of right and wrong] is inherent in us from birth or indoctrinated in us by society.

Conscience is the inner voice that warns us someone might be watching [H. L. Mencken]. I am inclined to this cynical view of human nature. Morality is neither innate nor divinely inspired. Morality is governed by laws which reflect the morals of the society in which we live.

In law, for example, a person is not guilty by reason of insanity if, because of mental disease or defect, he cannot distinguish LEGAL right from wrong. Thus, if a person knows that killing is legally wrong, even though he operates under a delusion that it is morally right [eg, to kill prostitutes], he cannot avail himself of the insanity defense. The courts hold that criminal laws reflect the morals of society; thus, knowing that an act is legally wrong assumes knowing that the act is morally wrong.

The bible [eg, the ten commandments] is not the source of morality but only a reflection of the morality of ancient jews and christians. The law code of Hammurabi pre-dates the ten commandments Moses gave to his people. ''Thou shalt not kill'' is not a universal inherent precept, as the Mayans practiced human sacrifice.

Morality changes with society. Slavery was once embraced in American society but is now abhorrent. Divorce was once taboo but now is commonplace. Were morality inherent in us from birth, then society would remain stagnate.

I invite your opinion.

Ask yourself this: What or Who put that small voice inside you to begin with? Where did it come from? Do the animals have that small voice and if not, why don't they?

a conscience is instilled in us by those surrounding us as we develop.

Does it come in a kit that they can install easily or do they need directions? Who exactly installs it for you. your school teacher? Your Mom? Your best friend? Does it hurt when they install it?

I invite your opinion.

Ask yourself this: What or Who put that small voice inside you to begin with? Where did it come from? Do the animals have that small voice and if not, why don't they?
The people you learn from put that voice inside you. I'm sure there are somethings that are natural but you are by and large a product of what others that teach you believed to be moral.

Animals have shown examples of morals as well which confirms the point that you are taught most of your moral code.

I invite your opinion.

The people you learn from put that voice inside you. I'm sure there are somethings that are natural but you are by and large a product of what others that teach you believed to be moral.

Animals have shown examples of morals as well which confirms the point that you are taught most of your moral code.

Where did the voice come from? It had to have a beginning. For the people you learn from to put a voice in you they must have had the voice to begin with. How did they get it inside you?

no
parents, peers and everyone involved in teaching you how to survive in society
sometimes

Was it an ACME kit like the coyote always uses against the roadrunner? You still haven't explained from where the voice had its beginning.

I invite your opinion.

Where did the voice come from? It had to have a beginning. For the people you learn from to put a voice in you they must have had the voice to begin with. How did they get it inside you?
Thought process. You do realize that once you become self aware you are constantly talking to yourself? You are observing whats going on around you and categorizing it in order to identify it in one of 2 ways. Harmful or beneficial. This is the result of people influencing you to believe one way or the other. If you are asking the chicken or the egg question I dont buy into the religion angle.

no
sometimes

Was it an ACME kit like the coyote always uses against the roadrunner? You still haven't explained from where the voice had its beginning.
The voice speaks english or whatever is your native languge. That should clue you in that it is a product of your environment.

I invite your opinion.

Thought process. You do realize that once you become self aware you are constantly talking to yourself? You are observing whats going on around you and categorizing it in order to identify it in one of 2 ways. Harmful or beneficial. This is the result of people influencing you to believe one way or the other. If you are asking the chicken or the egg question I dont buy into the religion angle.

Just as I thought. No real answer to my question as to where the voice came from in the beginning. POOF!! It appeared out of nothing. LOL!!

no
sometimes

The voice speaks english or whatever is your native languge. That should clue you in that it is a product of your environment.

I can change my environment easily and often. Does the voice change easily and often?

no
sometimes

I can change my environment easily and often. Does the voice change easily and often?

no

I invite your opinion.

Just as I thought. No real answer to my question as to where the voice came from in the beginning. POOF!! It appeared out of nothing. LOL!!

I just told you it came out of the thought process. Were you not reading along? You think in whatever language you learned to originally speak in.

no
sometimes

No it doesnt.

I just told you it came out of the thought process. Were you not reading along? You think in whatever language you learned to originally speak in.

Where did the thought process come from? Does serial murderers have the same thought process or is it missing in them? Is the thought process present in serial murderers but the voice missing?

no
sometimes

No it doesnt.

So were the city to pass a law saying one can make a right on red after a stop, my voice would not allow me to make a right on red after a stop? Interesting.

Forum List

Back