Oklahoma House Approves Bill Shifting Marriage Licenses from State to Clergy

My concern is that people without any faith will be unable to marry in the state. This will do nothing to stop gays from getting married in Oklahoma though b/c quite a few churches already marry gays. If this bill passes and is signed by Governor Fallin it will most assuredly be challenged in the instant her signature hits the page.

I doubt it will go anywhere but it's an interesting idea.

I've said it before and will again, let them get pretend married.

This did give me a nice chuckle, and it really highlights the need to actually check out a story rather than just accept a headline.

The bill does not do what the story says. Not even close. All it does is say rather than the government issuing a marriage license, it files a marriage certificate. Just a change in words, not in process. They didn't even change the fee. It gives no authority to any clergy it doesn't already have, i.e. they can perform a wedding and sign the certificate. What is also included in the bill, and not mentioned at all in the story, is the real news. The old law stated anyone of age could get a license to marry someone of the opposite sex. Now it just says anyone can get a certificate to marry. IOW, this bill removes the prohibition against SSM.

For those willing to do the work, it's HB 1125 and you can read it on the Oklahoma Legislature web site. Have fun.

This did give me a nice chuckle, and it really highlights the need to actually check out a story rather than just accept a headline.

The bill does not do what the story says. Not even close. All it does is say rather than the government issuing a marriage license, it files a marriage certificate. Just a change in words, not in process. They didn't even change the fee. It gives no authority to any clergy it doesn't already have, i.e. they can perform a wedding and sign the certificate. What is also included in the bill, and not mentioned at all in the story, is the real news. The old law stated anyone of age could get a license to marry someone of the opposite sex. Now it just says anyone can get a certificate to marry. IOW, this bill removes the prohibition against SSM.

For those willing to do the work, it's HB 1125 and you can read it on the Oklahoma Legislature web site. Have fun.

When I saw it was reported by Brietbart, I figured they got it wrong because they so often do.

Thanks very much for for being "willing to do the work".

The article served it's purpose....throw out the bait and the left loons strike every time :)

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

On Tuesday, the Oklahoma state House approved legislation that transfers the issuance of marriage licenses from the state to clergy members.

Oklahoma House Approves Bill Shifting Marriage Licenses from State to Clergy - Breitbart
So...those who aren't religious are left out. Not surprised....atheists and gays were already fellow travelers when it comes to discrimination by the Far Right.

Not at all. According to the bill, without a signature from a clergy member a couple may file for an affidavit of common law marriage. You're covered if you move here.

The article served it's purpose....throw out the bait and the left loons strike every time :)

So, you're saying you KNEW the op/ed was wrong but you posted it as "bait"?

Never mind that you're lying, that's just plain dumb.

Who defines clergy?
Exactly. If I lived in Oklahoma I'd start the Church of Whatever the day after this bill became law and charge a couple hundred a pop for a marriage license from couples. That would be a great side job and the easiest ever. Maybe I'd just become an ordained priest of Dudeism. Dudeism - Ordination by the Religion of The Big Lebowski

If I practice my religion at home, does that mean I qualify for tax free status and can stop paying my home owner taxes?

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

On Tuesday, the Oklahoma state House approved legislation that transfers the issuance of marriage licenses from the state to clergy members.

Oklahoma House Approves Bill Shifting Marriage Licenses from State to Clergy - Breitbart

1. Actually it identifies them as Marriage Certificates (under the new law and not licenses).

2. It really doesn't change anything as some members of the clergy will perform same-sex religious marriages and issue them a certificate.

3. The law, in the absence of a religious Marriage Certificate, provides for Common Law Marriages - those will be legally valid Civil Marriage still.

4. So same sex couple will still be able to get Civilly Married just like different-sex couples (given that differentiation by sex of the couple has been found unconstitutional and is likely to be upheld by the SCOTUS).

Here is a link to the bill -->> http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2015-16 INT/hB/HB1125 INT.PDF

>>>>

Who defines clergy?
Exactly. If I lived in Oklahoma I'd start the Church of Whatever the day after this bill became law and charge a couple hundred a pop for a marriage license from couples. That would be a great side job and the easiest ever. Maybe I'd just become an ordained priest of Dudeism. Dudeism - Ordination by the Religion of The Big Lebowski

If I practice my religion at home, does that mean I qualify for tax free status and can stop paying my home owner taxes?
Wow! It's win win! You could even give YOURSELF as many marriage licenses as you wanted to!

Forum List

Back