Ohio judge. Columbus police ran amok. They must amend their actions towards protesters.

This judge was addressing the police run amok during peaceful protests.
The debate must encompass more than just the issue of police misconduct; it must address Republican elected officials using law enforcement in violation of the First Amendment in an effort to silence protest by the political opposition.

It's not just Republican officials.

Algenon Marbley, chief judge for the Southern District of Ohio, began his 88 page opinion with a quote from Martin Luther King, Jr.: "But somewhere I read of the freedom of assembly. Somewhere I read of the freedom of speech. Somewhere I read of the freedom of press. Somewhere I read that the greatness of America is the right to protest for rights."

"Unfortunately, some of the members of the Columbus Police Department had no regard for the rights secured by this bedrock principle of American democracy," Marbley wrote. "This case is the sad tale of police officers, clothed with the awesome power of the state, run amok."

I also must note this as it's something I've long argued.

And officers must recognize that people displaying “press,” “media,” “reporter,” “paramedic,” “medic,” “legal observer,” or similar words or symbols are allowed to record at protests and help protesters who appear to be injured, the judge ruled. Further, anyone can record at a protest.

The courts have ruled over and over and over that anyone in public has a right to record the actions of the police. One day they will learn this. Until then taxpayers will be on the hook for millions of dollars for the violation of people's civil rights by the police.

And lastly, police can not force people to "disperse" simply because someone does not want the protesters protesting.

Federal judge says Columbus police ran 'amok' during peaceful protests
Apparently, this idiotic judge is unaware that the United States Constitution, is the "supreme" law of the land, thus higher than any city, county or, state laws and the Constitution only allows for "peaceful assembly."
What has been going on in the various "Democrat" run cities (Democrat Mayors, Democrat Town Councils and Democrat appointed police chiefs), are riots and looting. This behavior isn't allowed by the Constitution and thus, illegal.
There's also the fact that anything "not" covered in the Constitution, can be addressed by the individual states. As the Constitution only addresses "how" people can assemble (peacefully), the states are left with the ability to add their own restrictions as to when and where they can peacefully assemble. For instance, no blocking of highways or blocking of emergency vehicles, it's a safety issue. Other limits can be placed on protesters blocking people from going to or coming from work, or going about their daily lives. I recall that in Seattle, a young man that was in the Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (CHAZ), was shot and protesters blocked the cops and medics from reaching him in time and he died. That it unacceptable and those that had blocked emergency personnel from immediately accessing him, should have been arrested and prosecuted.
You have the right to stand on the sidewalk, wave your banner, sign or flag and shout your approval or disapproval of your particular topic, to let your voices be heard, but that's about it. You can't shove, punch or otherwise touch those you disagree with.
And of course, it's the cops responsibility to enforce the laws of their city, county, or state, even if the public and an idiot judge doesn't like it.

" And lastly, police can not force people to "disperse" simply because someone does not want the protesters protesting. "

Is this judge retarded or what? Because that's obviously not true

We call them unlawful assemblies, and if those people who don't want you protesting are the cops yes they can.

You can call them whatever you want but people have a protected Constitutionally acknowledged right to assemble.
Even in the United States Congressional Building!

" And lastly, police can not force people to "disperse" simply because someone does not want the protesters protesting. "

We call them unlawful assemblies, and if those people who don't want you protesting are the cops yes they can.

You can call them whatever you want but people have a protected Constitutionally acknowledged right to assemble.

No amendment is absolute and there are limits to your rights. I know this because Biden said so.

No amendment is absolute and there are limits to your rights. I know this because Biden said so.

While true there were no legal limits here. You can't assemble in a private home without their permission, which would make that an example but it's not what was ruled on here.

The debate must encompass more than just the issue of police misconduct; it must address Republican elected officials using law enforcement in violation of the First Amendment in an effort to silence protest by the political opposition.

Obviously you're unaware of what's happening in Florida; it's not happening in blue states.

Obviously you're unaware of what's happening in Florida; it's not happening in blue states.

How does FLorida alone make my statement wrong? People in Illinois were forced to protest in front of Rahm Emmanuel's house.

While the election for mayor of Columbus is "nonpartisan" the mayor is a Democrat.

Damn, you're stupid.

Sorry I bothered you.

No, I just expect my elected officials to remember who is the BOSS and who is the employee. If they don’t remember, they may need to be unpleasantly reminded of their place.

No bother. Pretty much the entire population annoys me on a daily basis so you really didn’t add anything more than normal.

Damn, you're stupid.

Sorry I bothered you.

No, I just expect my elected officials to remember who is the BOSS and who is the employee. If they don’t remember, they may need to be unpleasantly reminded of their place.

No bother. Pretty much the entire population annoys me on a daily basis so you really didn’t add anything more than normal.
Nobody pulled your chain, genius. Stay back, I don't wanna get any on me.

When they are holding signs that say, and vocally screaming, "NO JUSTICE" and "NO PEACE", it's reasonable to assume that their intention is not a constitutionally protected peaceable assembly.

They are literally protesting against peace.

Anyone who calls that a peaceful protest is a detestable liar and/or a low IQ idiot.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back