Official USMB Shutdown Showdown Thread --- Week of Jan 14th, 2019

Is the political game of chicken being played by BOTH parties worth the lives of a few diabetics?

• Yes, never give in on this wall issue

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • No, both parties should compromise and get the workers back to work

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Trump should declare a national emergency and resolve the issue

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters
I'm in Florida, visiting with parents and sis, so I have not been watching the news much....
Was it the HOUSE that passed a bill to pay them??? Did the Senate bring it to a vote? Did the president sign it???
It passed Congress today and Trump signed it this afternoon.
ahhhh, they are not getting paid NOW, but some day....could be 3 or 6 or 10 months from now, when the shutdown ends, they will get paid for the hours they worked.............?

big deal.... that was expected.... does nothing to help the situation now.... does nothing for the economy and businesses that rely on them now....

--------------------------------------------------------------

it's weird that the issue is no longer that we have to raise our debt ceiling, 3 times in 2018 alone because of overspending and the tax cuts NOT generating enough tax monies to pay for their spending....
So you agree, they aren't working for nothing.
yes, agree they will be paid some day... maybe a year from now.... right now, they are working for NOTHING.... they still have daycare, gasoline, mortgages, electric, natural gas, food, healthcare/dental bills etc etc etc to pay now....

it is just not right and not fair to put them through this.... it really isn't.

No they are not. They are working on the promise of being paid in full when the government opens.

It isn't right nor fair to put 100's of millions of people through having to deal with border crossings of invaders either, or to force them through taxation, to support illegals who cross into this country on a daily basis. To the tune of over 100 billion dollars.

Lots of things in life are unfair. Pelosi and Schumer could put an end to their misery by allowing just 0.0125% of our yearly income to build a barrier at our southern border.
There is already a barrier, wall etc on the border.

The estimate was not intended to become public. It was just leaked.
Their previous estimate was 0.1% every two weeks.

"The Trump administration now estimates that the cost of the government shutdown will be twice as steep as originally forecast.
The original estimate that the partial shutdown would subtract 0.1 percentage point from growth every two weeks has now been doubled to a 0.1 percentage point subtraction every week, according to an official who asked not to be named."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/15/source-white-house-believes-shutdown-will-be-twice-as-costly.html‬
...and....
Conservatives are conflicted. One commented that it has to be a lie because the official is anonymous, and the other said it just doesn’t matter.
why not fund the wall and call it a day? you didn't care when billions went to other countries for support. why now? oh yeah TDS. keep it shutdown until the 5.7B makes it on a budget. we're cool with the government staying shutdown. are you? at some point someone will need to blink and it won't be trump.

BTW, the dems know what it will take to reopen the government and are doing nothing. and you don't care. it seems you don't care others are not getting paid.

The House Democrats have met their constitutional obligation.
nope, they haven't negotiated a budget. why not? they know the president isn't going to sign unless 5.7B is in there. what else are they gonna do? Just tell the citizens fk you we ain't giving that man money so fk you all? how mature. 2020 will be fun to watch.
They can put the 5.7 billion in the budget. That is what else they can do.

Many people are being severely hurt by this shutdown - and many may not recover. Even after the shutdown ends and government workers receive back pay - there will remain much damage to people's lives and the economy. Also, government contractors will reportedly never receive back pay. Many low income renters who depend on rent assistance from the government have reportedly been warned of eviction. The overall damage will be much greater than we currently know.
So, have you called Pelosi and Schumer's office to tell them to put an end to their plight?

Why should I?

Dw8m09bWwAATXGW.jpg

You also have govt. contractors out of pay but as long as certain people don't care what they ruin to get what they want what the heck difference does it make?
Have you called Pelosi and Schumer's office to extoll them to put an end to their plight?
No I work on my projects to make sure my pay continues..I can do my job, the politicians, not so much. I try to fire them every election.

Many people are being severely hurt by this shutdown - and many may not recover. Even after the shutdown ends and government workers receive back pay - there will remain much damage to people's lives and the economy. Also, government contractors will reportedly never receive back pay. Many low income renters who depend on rent assistance from the government have reportedly been warned of eviction. The overall damage will be much greater than we currently know.
So, have you called Pelosi and Schumer's office to tell them to put an end to their plight?

Why should I?

Dw8m09bWwAATXGW.jpg
Oh. I thought you cared about what happened to them. If you did, you'd call Pelosi and Schumer's office and demand they end this government shutdown.

Why should I?

Dw8m09bWwAATXGW.jpg
Oh. I thought you cared about what happened to them. If you did, you'd call Pelosi and Schumer's office and demand they end this government shutdown.

Shouldn't you be calling Trump - and Mexico?

Why should I?

Dw8m09bWwAATXGW.jpg

Trump never said Mexico was going to write a check for the wall. Now,k why would I call Trump? He has said he would open up the government when Pelosi and Schumer provide money for a border barrier. He is willing to open the government. Are Pelosi and Schumer? Have you called them and asked them if they want to open the government?

BTW, don't think I didn't notice that you didn't claim you cared about the people who are out of work right now.

I'm in Florida, visiting with parents and sis, so I have not been watching the news much....
Was it the HOUSE that passed a bill to pay them??? Did the Senate bring it to a vote? Did the president sign it???
ahhhh, they are not getting paid NOW, but some day....could be 3 or 6 or 10 months from now, when the shutdown ends, they will get paid for the hours they worked.............?

big deal.... that was expected.... does nothing to help the situation now.... does nothing for the economy and businesses that rely on them now....

it's weird that the issue is no longer that we have to raise our debt ceiling, 3 times in 2018 alone because of overspending and the tax cuts NOT generating enough tax monies to pay for their spending....
yes, agree they will be paid some day... maybe a year from now.... right now, they are working for NOTHING.... they still have daycare, gasoline, mortgages, electric, natural gas, food, healthcare/dental bills etc etc etc to pay now....

No they are not. They are working on the promise of being paid in full when the government opens.

It isn't right nor fair to put 100's of millions of people through having to deal with border crossings of invaders either, or to force them through taxation, to support illegals who cross into this country on a daily basis. To the tune of over 100 billion dollars.

Lots of things in life are unfair. Pelosi and Schumer could put an end to their misery by allowing just 0.0125% of our yearly income to build a barrier at our southern border.
700 miles of border wall and fencing was just completed the past 10 years, where do you want this additional fence? Do you want additional border patrol to guard the new fence, when they do cross it or dig under it?

How about the 58% of illegals that come in through airports and ports on visas and then disappear in to the masses, are you just going to ignore that and shoot your whole wad on additional fencing and pretend most illegals are not overstays of visas?

I think this whole border wall crap is ridiculous, without congress doing their jobs of studying the situation in committee and figuring out, where is the best places to spend the border security money.... not with a gun held to federal worker's heads, but with a PLAN....

Why should I?

Dw8m09bWwAATXGW.jpg

Trump never said Mexico was going to write a check for the wall. Now,k why would I call Trump? He has said he would open up the government when Pelosi and Schumer provide money for a border barrier. He is willing to open the government. Are Pelosi and Schumer? Have you called them and asked them if they want to open the government?

BTW, don't think I didn't notice that you didn't claim you cared about the people who are out of work right now.

Actually, uninformed dumbass, Trump did in fact suggest that Mexico may write a one-time check for the wall.

700 miles of border wall and fencing was just completed the past 10 years, where do you want this additional fence? Do you want additional border patrol to guard the new fence, when they do cross it or dig under it?

How about the 58% of illegals that come in through airports and ports on visas and then disappear in to the masses, are you just going to ignore that and shoot your whole wad on additional fencing and pretend most illegals are not overstays of visas?

I think this whole border wall crap is ridiculous, without congress doing their jobs of studying the situation in committee and figuring out, where is the best places to spend the border security money.... not with a gun held to federal worker's heads, but with a PLAN....
Yes, I do want more people to man our borders and our barriers. 700 miles of border wall is a good begining, we need more.

So, building a border barrier means we won't be talking care of this mythical 58% that come through airports, ports of entry or overstay their visa's? Easy enough. After they fund the border barrier, we move on to securing these other means of illegal entry into the country. This isn't an all or nothing proposition.

Who says congress isn't studying the problem? They just disagree on which path gives them the most power of the other side.

Why should I?

Dw8m09bWwAATXGW.jpg

Actually, uninformed dumbass, Trump did in fact suggest that Mexico may write a one-time check for the wall.
I"m sure you have a link in which he said that Mexico will cut us a check for the border wall.

While your out looking for that, do Me a favor and call Pelosi and tell her to stop harming those government workers by withholding 0.0125% of our income from national security.

Why should I?

Dw8m09bWwAATXGW.jpg

I"m sure you have a link in which he said that Mexico will cut us a check for the border wall.

While your out looking for that, do Me a favor and call Pelosi and tell her to stop harming those government workers by withholding 0.0125% of our income from national security.

You Google it. It's been widely reported, including video, for the past few days.

Trump Denied He Said Mexico Would Write a Check for the Wall — But He Did

Progressives have grown our federal government into an unconstitutional monstrosity. Legally, the federal government is supposed to only oversee 18 specific items. Instead, it’s grown into thousands because of the power-hungry, money-hungry left.
Looking around America, I see people going about their business—families eating in restaurants, employees going to work, children playing in playgrounds, etc. I have to ask: Where’s the crisis?
This shutdown just illustrates how much of this bloated monstrosity we don’t even need. It is time to restore constitutional government.

The Shutdown Shows How Unnecessary Much of Government Is

Well, I don't think I am going to be taking any flights anytime soon.
Government shutdown starting to impact air travel

Why should I?

Dw8m09bWwAATXGW.jpg

i tried to reach the President, and tried to reach Mc Connell, to tell them to end the shutdown.... they are the only 2 people who can end this, at this point and are the 2 people causing this mess.... though the President said it was all on himself.... and he would blame no one else... I blame Mc Connell too because he is not doing his constitutional duty... and keeping his obligation to keep the Senate as a SEPARATE and EQUAL power and branch of our government, instead of a sub-servant branch to the president by being the president's lapdog.

Progressives have grown our federal government into an unconstitutional monstrosity. Legally, the federal government is supposed to only oversee 18 specific items. Instead, it’s grown into thousands because of the power-hungry, money-hungry left.
Looking around America, I see people going about their business—families eating in restaurants, employees going to work, children playing in playgrounds, etc. I have to ask: Where’s the crisis?
This shutdown just illustrates how much of this bloated monstrosity we don’t even need. It is time to restore constitutional government.

Well, I don't think I am going to be taking any flights anytime soon.
Government shutdown starting to impact air travel
wonderful, NOT!!!

I have to fly back home in a couple of weeks.... :eek:

Shutdown illustrates that Democrats who were for it when it was Obama’s 50 billion dollar baby now are against 5 billion because it’s Trump.
That’s why the government is shut down.

The courts are about to shut down.
Food inspections are not being done.
Companies cannot get things done.

You need your head examined.

Trump has barricaded himself in the White House and has no idea or care about the damage his Shutdown is doing to the nation and its people

McConnell has to step up and do his job. Bring a bill to the floor of the Senate to open the government.

It's that simple.

Fuck Trump. He just doesn't care
Correct.

And then override Trump’s veto.

In fact, the blame for the shutdown is as much on McConnell as Trump, if not more so.

Shutdown illustrates that Democrats who were for it when it was Obama’s 50 billion dollar baby now are against 5 billion because it’s Trump.
That’s why the government is shut down.
5 BILLION, is less than 200 miles of fencing, with no border security being paid to watch it....

the Secure Fence Act of 2006/7 built or repaired 700 miles of fence on the southern border in the high illegal traffic regions, which was just recently completed, more than doubled our border patrol and ICE agents, added newer technologies for security like lights, radio fences, motion detectors, drones, etc etc etc

What is the President's plan on what the 5 billion dollars is to be spent on? Where will he build this +/-200 mile fence, that will give us a good return on investment?

Just merged TEN threads on the Shutdown. Don't NEED you all cross talking about the minute details because we cut enough latitude on "what on topic" in any one of them.. We are seriously just gonna to close duplicate threads at random if this keeps up on ANY topic of the day...

May take a couple hours to sort out the various conversations going on here. But they will sort out naturally..

Forum List

Back