Official 2010 Baseball Thread

We'll see. you could be right. But we won't make the same mistake we made with rowand and zito. I could forsee a maximum 3 year deal with Konerko because of his age. To the tune of 9 or 10 million should suffice. But who knows anything

Your mistake with Rowand is only realized in hindsight, though.

The guy looked like a potential star. He gives up the body, he hits for average, he's got a gold glove, and he can hit for power and drive in runs. He can even steal some bases too.

5/60 wasn't a bad contract at all. He just turned out to be a fraud who stepped it up only when the money was on the line.

Zito's problem is that he's a surfer FIRST, and then a baseball player. He wanted to stay in the bay area so he could still surf.

He should have gone somewhere where there were no waves and he had no other choice but to focus on baseball. But he wouldn't have allowed that anyway.

He actually started out pretty well this year. I thought maybe he was coming around. But I just don't think his heart is really in baseball.

Why are you so quick to pass on Huff, though? Just out of curiosity. You could probably have him cheaper than Konerko.

all i want to know is if you still trade matt cain for albert pujols

I already said no to this. I said yes in 2009 because the everyday offense wasn't good enough to get them TO THE playoffs. Now the offense is good enough so we don't need to trade pitching for bats.

We'll see. you could be right. But we won't make the same mistake we made with rowand and zito. I could forsee a maximum 3 year deal with Konerko because of his age. To the tune of 9 or 10 million should suffice. But who knows anything

Your mistake with Rowand is only realized in hindsight, though.

The guy looked like a potential star. He gives up the body, he hits for average, he's got a gold glove, and he can hit for power and drive in runs. He can even steal some bases too.

5/60 wasn't a bad contract at all. He just turned out to be a fraud who stepped it up only when the money was on the line.

Zito's problem is that he's a surfer FIRST, and then a baseball player. He wanted to stay in the bay area so he could still surf.

He should have gone somewhere where there were no waves and he had no other choice but to focus on baseball. But he wouldn't have allowed that anyway.

He actually started out pretty well this year. I thought maybe he was coming around. But I just don't think his heart is really in baseball.

Why are you so quick to pass on Huff, though? Just out of curiosity. You could probably have him cheaper than Konerko.

I'm not passing on Huff. We're gonna keep him and move him to the outfield if we get Konkerko or Dunn. He's actually solid out there and runs well despite what people think. He went on record saying he loved playing the outfield and played 40 games there for us this year.

I already said no to this. I said yes in 2009 because the everyday offense wasn't good enough to get them TO THE playoffs. Now the offense is good enough so we don't need to trade pitching for bats.

You don't get it though.

If you had gotten to the playoffs and then didn't have that same pitching prowess, your chances of winning it all greatly diminish.

In the playoffs it's all about the pitching.

You can sneak INTO the playoffs without it, but it's hard to win 5 and 7 game series when the other team that has better pitching is shutting down your lineup.

You didn't score a whole hell of a lot of runs against us. It was your PITCHING that won you the NLCS.

What are you guys gonna do with Ross?

He's arb eligible. You gonna offer him a contract or let him go to arb?

MLBTradeRumors has the Giants offering him a contract this offseason, and Ross has been pressing Uggla to sign there as well.

You could move Sanchez to SS, and let Uribe go.

Thoughts?

Ok ladies, the best time of year is almost upon us. Get your gloves and bats and be safe out there!

Predictions:

AL East:
Yankees 100-62
Red Sox 95-67
Rays 88-74
Blue Jays 77-84
Orioles 70-92

AL Central:
Twins 84-79
Tigers 83-80
White Sox 75-87
Indians 68-94
Royals 65-97

AL West:
Mariners 88-74
Angels 87-75
Rangers 83-79
Athletics 77-85

Wild Card: Red Sox

National League

NL East:
Phillies 92-70
Marlins 86-76
Mets 85-77
Braves 83-79
Nationals 60-102

NL Central:
Cardinals 97-65
Reds 90-72
Cubs 82-80
Brewers 79-83
Astros 76-86
Pirates 69-93

NL West
Dodgers 94-68
Diamondbacks 91-71
Giants 88-74
Rockies 81-81
Padres 72-90

Wild Card: D-backs

ALDS: Yankees over Twins in 3
ALDS: Sox over Mariners in 4

NLDS: Phillies over Dodgers in 4
NLDS: Cardinals over D-backs in 4

ALCS: Yankees over Sox in 7

NLCS: Phillies over Cards in 6

World Series:
Yankees over Phillies in 6

I have a feeling about the Mariners taking the west this year...I am sure come july/august I will look back at this and say "WHAT THE FUCK WAS I THINKING WITH SOME OF THESE PICKS"

Edit: my NL west was all fucked up...

I wouldn't say "fucked up". No one, not even a Giants fan would have predicted a World Series Win over Texas this year. Isn't Baseball Grand!

You don't get it though.

If you had gotten to the playoffs and then didn't have that same pitching prowess, your chances of winning it all greatly diminish.

You can sneak INTO the playoffs without it, but it's hard to win 5 and 7 game series when the other team that has better pitching is shutting down your lineup.

You didn't score a whole hell of a lot of runs against us. It was your PITCHING that won you the NLCS.

No I think you're the one not "getting it". What does any of it matter if you can't get TO the playoffs? I'd rather be this years Reds playing than last year's Giants fishing.
Fortunately we added just enough offense last year to get to the playoffs. No we don't need to trade pitching.

MLBTradeRumors has the Giants offering him a contract this offseason, and Ross has been pressing Uggla to sign there as well.

You could move Sanchez to SS, and let Uribe go.

Thoughts?

If there were any chance of Uggla coming to sf, I'd be over the moon. But we would be asking Sandoval to step down. I'm keepin Uribe no matter what. Sanchez or Uggla would play third tho and Uribe plays short. If i'm gonna lose a guy, it would be sandoval, not uribe. But Uggla's not gonna come here and the Panda is gonna get back on track so it's gonna be fine.

You don't get it though.

No I think you're the one not "getting it". What does any of it matter if you can't get TO the playoffs? I'd rather be this years Reds playing than last year's Giants fishing.
Fortunately we added just enough offense last year to get to the playoffs. No we don't need to trade pitching.

Yeah, and last year I was suggesting that instead of offing Cain, you simply pick up a decent mid-range bat that wouldn't cost and arm and a leg.

I'm not exactly sure what you added from last year dollar-wise, but it wasn't a whole hell of a lot.

The whole point is that you were trying to get rid of the one thing you needed in the playoffs...a stellar arm.

You can sneak into the playoffs much easier than you can get all the way through them.

You don't get it though.

Yeah, and last year I was suggesting that instead of offing Cain, you simply pick up a decent mid-range bat that wouldn't cost and arm and a leg.

I'm not exactly sure what you added from last year dollar-wise, but it wasn't a whole hell of a lot.

The whole point is that you were trying to get rid of the one thing you needed in the playoffs...a stellar arm.

You can sneak into the playoffs much easier than you can get all the way through them.

Giants may bring up another stud bat. Highl touted and highly productive AAA kid named Brandon Belt. Clubbing all kinds of homers, triples and doubles down there. They say he could be as good as Buster Posey. That would be great at first base! Then we could move Huff to Left Field.

Anybody have an educated guess as to who's going to sign Cliff Lee? MLB trade rumors says that Cashman is meeting with Lee today... but god I hope he doesn't go with the Yanks.

Can't believe Jeter won a Gold Glove this year. :doubt:

Anybody have an educated guess as to who's going to sign Cliff Lee? MLB trade rumors says that Cashman is meeting with Lee today... but god I hope he doesn't go with the Yanks.

Can't believe Jeter won a Gold Glove this year. :doubt:

Jeter's defense this season was not his best. His fielding pct was great, but his range is falling off. His UZR, the stat that measures how your defense prevented runs vs. allowed runs, was the worst of his career. Something like negative 4.5.

There HAD to be a better SS this season in the AL.

Far as Lee, it's kind of cliche' at this point to say NY, but there's only a couple teams that are going to pay what he demands. I don't necessarily count out Philly, but it's a LONG shot.

Truth, I've heard of your boy in the minors. He's comin' on. I hope he does well for you. I'm hoping we let Werth go and move on to Dominic Brown.

Hey Truth, check this out:

Just like I was saying!

Scott Boras is looking for Matt Holliday money for Jayson Werth | HardballTalk

According to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, the belief is that Jayson Werth could seek a contract similar to the seven-year, $120 million deal Matt Holliday received from the Cardinals last winter.

Scott Boras stated his new client’s case for big dollars on Friday.

“We have, in my mind, probably the most coveted offensive player in the free-agent market,” Boras said. “Carl Crawford is a really great player, but the truth of the matter is, Werth scores as many runs, and his on-base percentage is the same. Werth is a guy that can play center field and has played center field recently. He’s a Gold Glove-type outfielder. Crawford is, too. But the big difference is that Werth has 87 home runs over the last three years and Crawford has 42. Werth is really a middle-of-the-lineup guy. I think when he bats third, he’ll be a 110-to-120-runs-scored guy and a 100-RBI guy. And I think teams that are looking for a right-handed bat view Werth as a middle-of-the-lineup guy.”

:lol: He drives a hard bargain!!

What a waste of money that's going to be!!!

If teams would just play a little hardball for once with these slimy agents, they could actually drive the prices down to reasonable numbers. Instead they're so afraid of losing them that they bend over and take it from these agents, especially Scott Boras.

These teams should confer among themselves and secretly agree that no one gets paid more than 10 million a year. Players only make ridiculous amounts of money when owners are willing/dumb enough/desperate enough to get screwed by these agents.

Werth for more than 10 million? insane. "Going market" my ass! Doesn't the economy affect baseball at least a little?

Scott Boras has screwed the Giants with no lube of any kind, with his right leg and boots still on with the criminal contract of Barry Zito. I imagine he's raped owners all over the country similarly. But you can't blame him one little bit. Only the puppets dressed in suits, labeled owners.

Hey Truth, check this out:

Just like I was saying!

Scott Boras is looking for Matt Holliday money for Jayson Werth | HardballTalk

According to Todd Zolecki of MLB.com, the belief is that Jayson Werth could seek a contract similar to the seven-year, $120 million deal Matt Holliday received from the Cardinals last winter.

Scott Boras stated his new client’s case for big dollars on Friday.

“We have, in my mind, probably the most coveted offensive player in the free-agent market,” Boras said. “Carl Crawford is a really great player, but the truth of the matter is, Werth scores as many runs, and his on-base percentage is the same. Werth is a guy that can play center field and has played center field recently. He’s a Gold Glove-type outfielder. Crawford is, too. But the big difference is that Werth has 87 home runs over the last three years and Crawford has 42. Werth is really a middle-of-the-lineup guy. I think when he bats third, he’ll be a 110-to-120-runs-scored guy and a 100-RBI guy. And I think teams that are looking for a right-handed bat view Werth as a middle-of-the-lineup guy.”

:lol: He drives a hard bargain!!

What a waste of money that's going to be!!!
borasdevil.jpg

This statement by Boras is an insult to everyone's intelligence. He's lying his ass off!!!
Werth hit 5th for the slugging and dangerous Phillies in the tennis court known as Citizens Bank Park. He had a solid season with 27 homers and 85 rbi. He had good players on base in front of him all year.
So for Boras to say that a guy who has never driven in 100 runs even in his career high 2009 is going to have better numbers in a different park just because he moves up 2 spots in the lineup? I never knew such affrontery!!! Lies I say and off with his head!!

This is a plug to other teams that would bat him 3rd. Oviously he's not plugging Philadelphia to resign him because they know Werth's worth. They know he's not going to bat 3rd over Utley so he's trying to pull the wool over other potential suitors. Slick move Scotty!

If he leaves the phillies, he'll certainly be going to a team that is offensively inferior with less protection and more difficult surroundings in which to homer. Unless it's New York or Colorado, his numbers will certainly drop off. Could he drive in 100 runs and hit 30 homers? The answer is yes. But that's not what Boras said. Boras said he "will" drive in 100 runs and hit 30 homers. Even though he's never had that combination in his entire career. He hit 30 or more homers just once in 8 years and never drove in 100 runs. Slick move Scotty!

Boras must really think we're idiots. He knows the owners are idiots, he's been eating them for breakfast for 15 years.
scott-boras-pros-and-cons.jpg

I don't know, he might have a point about the RBI's if moved up in the lineup.

You have to figure with Utley and Howard hitting in front of you, you're left fighting for scraps by the time you get to the plate.

Something I'm sure Boras will conveniently leave out also, is Werth's sub-Mendoza Line avg. with runners in SCORING POSITION this year.

So even WITH Utley and Howard batting ahead of him, he screwed HIMSELF out of getting to 100.

Forum List

Back