Officer makes heartfelt plea to speeders after catching teen driving 100 mph

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012

North Ridgeville Police Department
Yesterday at 5:11 AM ·
To the 18 year old kid I stopped on SR 10,

You’re welcome. I’d like to believe that you were minutes away from creating an unspeakable Christmas tragedy when I stopped you. If not only killing yourself, you were well on your way to killing some innocent person who was minding their own business doing nothing else wrong but being in front of you.

You said you didn’t realize how fast you were going. That’s a lie. You may not realize when you’re doing 45 in a 35 but you are fully aware of every mile per hour at 100. You realize it with every bump you hit. You realize it as you pass cars so fast the wind moves your car. You realize it every time you drift over the line and when you move the wheel the car reacts a lot quicker than you’re used to. You absolutely realized it.

You were scared when I stopped you. You were visibly shaking and breathing hard. Unfortunately, you were scared one minute too late and for the wrong reason. You should have been scared that you were trying to kill yourself. I know you’re invincible. I know that you can’t even fathom your own death.

I can tell you dozens of stories of dead and broken 18 year old bodies that I’ve pulled from cars. Broken bodies that I’ve found in front yards after crashes. Unrecognizable bodies. They thought they were invincible too. They weren’t. They were gone so they missed the part where I had to tell their parents that they were dead. Part of your soul disappears every time you have to tell parents that their kid is dead.

I don’t KNOW your parents, but I know them. I know that when you leave every day they say “Be careful. Drive safe.” Those aren’t just words. That is the very last act of them pleading with you to come home safe. When they get a knock on the door, it’s not “Good afternoon ma’am. Your 18 year old son just had a massive heart attack. It’s “Can we sit down? Your son has been involved in a very serious crash. I’m so sorry. He’s died.” When you leave the house they know that, far and away, the best chance you have of dying that day is in that car. Sometimes you’re the innocent person hit by someone with no regard for anyone else and sometimes you’re the one with no regard for anyone else. Today you were the latter.

You seemed like a really nice kid who made a bad decision. I don’t feel bad about this ticket at all. In fact, I’m proud of it. I hope you’re paying it off for months and with every payment you think about how it wasn’t worth it. I hope you slow down. I hope that when your mom tells you to “drive safe” you make a promise to her, and yourself, that you will. I hope you can envision me sitting in your kitchen telling your screaming mother that you have been killed.

Slow down. Please. You are not invincible. I promise.

You know how sometimes you care about somebody so much that you get angry and frustrated at them? This officer doesn't know this kid, but he cared about him, and anybody he could have hurt to the point of being angry. The message has been shared over 61000 times on Facebook. I hope everybody who reads it understands where this officer is coming from.

In my opinion, people who drive too fast not only need to be stripped of their license should they have one, but the keys to whatever they drive should be taken from them as well too.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. The highest speed limit sign that I have ever seen is 70 MPH.

I've driven over 100 MPH out in the desert and even faster than that in parts of Europe where they have no speed limits on the highways. Not that big of a deal. Doing it in a populated area is obviously not very smart.

I've driven over 100 MPH out in the desert and even faster than that in parts of Europe where they have no speed limits on the highways. Not that big of a deal. Doing it in a populated area is obviously not very smart.

Have you driven on the Autobahn? That sounds like so much fun. :D

I just looked it up. It's a town of over 29,000 people. Not the kinda town you should drive through at 100 MPH.

You’re welcome. I’d like to believe that you were minutes away from creating an unspeakable Christmas tragedy when I stopped you. If not only killing yourself, you were well on your way to killing some innocent person who was minding their own business doing nothing else wrong but being in front of you.

You said you didn’t realize how fast you were going. That’s a lie. You may not realize when you’re doing 45 in a 35 but you are fully aware of every mile per hour at 100. You realize it with every bump you hit. You realize it as you pass cars so fast the wind moves your car. You realize it every time you drift over the line and when you move the wheel the car reacts a lot quicker than you’re used to. You absolutely realized it.

You were scared when I stopped you. You were visibly shaking and breathing hard. Unfortunately, you were scared one minute too late and for the wrong reason. You should have been scared that you were trying to kill yourself. I know you’re invincible. I know that you can’t even fathom your own death.

I can tell you dozens of stories of dead and broken 18 year old bodies that I’ve pulled from cars. Broken bodies that I’ve found in front yards after crashes. Unrecognizable bodies. They thought they were invincible too. They weren’t. They were gone so they missed the part where I had to tell their parents that they were dead. Part of your soul disappears every time you have to tell parents that their kid is dead.

I don’t KNOW your parents, but I know them. I know that when you leave every day they say “Be careful. Drive safe.” Those aren’t just words. That is the very last act of them pleading with you to come home safe. When they get a knock on the door, it’s not “Good afternoon ma’am. Your 18 year old son just had a massive heart attack. It’s “Can we sit down? Your son has been involved in a very serious crash. I’m so sorry. He’s died.” When you leave the house they know that, far and away, the best chance you have of dying that day is in that car. Sometimes you’re the innocent person hit by someone with no regard for anyone else and sometimes you’re the one with no regard for anyone else. Today you were the latter.

You seemed like a really nice kid who made a bad decision. I don’t feel bad about this ticket at all. In fact, I’m proud of it. I hope you’re paying it off for months and with every payment you think about how it wasn’t worth it. I hope you slow down. I hope that when your mom tells you to “drive safe” you make a promise to her, and yourself, that you will. I hope you can envision me sitting in your kitchen telling your screaming mother that you have been killed.

You know how sometimes you care about somebody so much that you get angry and frustrated at them? This officer doesn't know this kid, but he cared about him, and anybody he could have hurt to the point of being angry. The message has been shared over 61000 times on Facebook. I hope everybody who reads it understands where this officer is coming from.

There's a time and a place for everything.

Residential neighborhood/commercial district? Don't go 100.

Open road with no one in front of you for miles? Punch it.

I knew an 89 year-old man that went over 100 every afternoon on a GPZ 900.

It was good for him. I did it often, too. You wait until the cars are long gone..and then go. There's nobody in front of you, why not go 140?

In my opinion, people who drive too fast not only need to be stripped of their license should they have one, but the keys to whatever they drive should be taken from them as well too.y
God bless you always!!

Holly

Apparently you've never been to Texas.

They have one road that is 85. Their interstates are all 75. Louisiana also has a 75mph interstate.

In my opinion, people who drive too fast not only need to be stripped of their license should they have one, but the keys to whatever they drive should be taken from them as well too.y
God bless you always!!

Holly

They have one road that is 85. Their interstates are all 75. Louisiana also has a 75mph interstate.

Yeah, but Texans still wear cowboy hats. They really are stupid people. :dunno:

God bless you always!!

Holly

And the normal traffic speed is frequently 85+. I ran that stretch of highway on my bike...I didn't realize, because I wasn't passing anyone! I had no idea how fast I was going until my wife came over the intercom with, "Slow down, you're doing 100!"

And on that note...you get a low fuel warning at about 140 miles when running 90-100MPH on a Sportster.

Have you driven on the Autobahn? That sounds like so much fun. :D

I have. Italy as well

It was good for him. I did it often, too. You wait until the cars are long gone..and then go. There's nobody in front of you, why not go 140?
Until a deer leaps out in front of you as you go 140.

is it a 2 lane road? one in each direction??? Someone coming from the other direction could be trying to pass someone else...….a head on collision with both going 100+ wouldn't leave much for identification purposes :eek-52:

Until a deer leaps out in front of you as you go 140.
Exactly what happened to this deputy's car at that speed in Isanti, MN. No injuries though.
web+deer+crash+pic+.jpg

Older video, same dept. at 114 mph.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gwAHoECAYQAQ&usg=AOvVaw3jIpqAQsPk1TfzLyefu75s

God bless you always!!

Holly

I was in Houston for about three days, but that was way back in the spring of 1991.

God bless you always!!!

Holly (almost nine years old then)

P.S. I actually have not been on a plane since then.

God bless you always!!

Holly

I was in Houston for about three days, but that was way back in the spring of 1991.

God bless you always!!!

Holly (almost nine years old then)

P.S. I actually have not been on a plane since then.

Well like I said, the speed limits in Texas are 75 on interstates and you yourself said you'd never seen a speed limit over 70. So something ain't jivin....

Forum List

Back