Obese passenger

LeadRoundNose

Ol' Deadeye
Dec 19, 2013
Wide Open Spaces
MAN VICIOUSLY DEGRADES THE OBESE PASSENGER HE HAD TO SIT NEXT TO, DEMANDS COMPENSATION IN VIRAL LETTER TO AIRLINE

An unpleasant flight can easily put the nicest person in a foul mood. However, one man went to the extreme, personally attacking the obese man who he was seated next to in a hateful letter to Australian airline Jetstar.

Airline passenger Rich Wisken reportedly wrote on a blog that he paid an extra $25 for an exit row seat, hoping to have some extra leg room. He was unpleasantly surprised to be seated next to an overweight man, who he refers to in the letter as a “fleshy boulder” who smelled like “blue cheese” and a “Mumbai slum.”

Wisken says he tried to get a new seat, but was unsuccessful.

“I made my way back to Jabba the Hutt (the blob creature in Star Wars) and spent the remainder of the flight smothered in side-boob and cellulite, taking shallow breaths to avoid noxious gas poisoning,” he wrote in the letter to Jetstar.

Later in the letter, Wisken also complained that two days later his flight to Melbourne was cancelled, as was a rescheduled flight. The man’s third attempted flight was reportedly delayed for two hours.

Jetstar responded by sending him a $100 voucher as compensation, according to the Daily Telegraph.

While many frequent fliers will certainly be able to sympathize with a bad traveling experience, others will certainly agree that no human being — including the most obese among us — deserves to be degraded the way Wisken degrades the obese man in the letter.

Read the entire letter below:

Dear Jetstar…

Do you like riddles? I do, that’s why I’m starting this letter with one. What weighs more than a Suzuki Swift, less than a Hummer and smells like the decaying anus of a deceased homeless man? No idea? How about, what measures food portions in kilograms and has the personal hygiene of a French prostitute? Still nothing? Right, one more try. What’s fat as f***, stinks like s**t and should be forced to purchase two seats on a Jetstar flight? That’s right, it’s the man I sat next to under on my flight from Perth to Sydney yesterday.

As I boarded the plane, I mentally high-fived myself for paying the additional $25 for an emergency seat. I was imagining all that extra room, when I was suddenly distracted by what appeared to be an infant hippopotamus located halfway down the aisle.

As I got closer, I was relieved to see that it wasn’t a dangerous semi-aquatic African mammal, but a morbidly obese human being. However, this relief was short-lived when I realised that my seat was located somewhere underneath him.
Soon after I managed to burrow into my seat, I caught what was to be the first of numerous fetid whiffs of body odour. His scent possessed hints of blue cheese and Mumbai slum, with nuances of sweaty flesh and human faeces sprayed with cologne – Eau No.

Considering I was visibly under duress, I found it strange that none of the cabin crew offered me another seat. To be fair, it’s entirely possible that none of them actually saw me. Perhaps this photo will jog their memories.

Pinned to my seat by a fleshy boulder, I started preparing for a 127 Hours-like escape. Thankfully though, the beast moved slightly to his left, which allowed me to stand up, walk to the back of the plane and politely ask the cabin crew to be seated elsewhere. I didn’t catch the names of the three flight attendants, but for the purpose of this letter, I’ll call them: Chatty 1, Chatty 2 and Giggly (I’ve given them all the same surname – Couldnotgiveash***).

After my request, Chatty 1 and Chatty 2 continued their conversation, presumably about how s*** they are at their jobs, and Giggly, well, she just giggled. I then asked if I could sit in one of the six vacant seats at the back of the aircraft, to which Giggly responded, “hehehe, they’re for crew only, hehehe”. I think Giggly may be suffering from some form of mental impairment.

I tried to relocate myself without the assistance of the Couldnotgiveas*** triplets, but unfortunately everyone with a row to themselves was now lying down. It was then I realised that my fate was sealed. I made my way back to Jabba the Hutt and spent the remainder of the flight smothered in side-boob and cellulite, taking shallow breaths to avoid noxious gas poisoning.

Just before landing, I revisited the back of the plane to use the toilet. You could imagine my surprise when I saw both “crew only” rows occupied by non-crew members. I can only assume Giggly let them sit there after she forgot who she was and why she’s flying on a big, shiny metal thing in the sky.

Imagine going out for dinner and a movie, only to have your night ruined by a fat mess who eats half your meal then blocks 50% of the screen. Isn’t that exactly the same as having someone who can’t control their calorie intake occupying half your seat on a flight? Of course it is, so that’s why I’m demanding a full refund of my ticket, including the $25 for an emergency row seat.

I’m also looking to be compensated for the physical pain and mental suffering caused by being enveloped in human blubber for four hours. My lower back is in agony and I had to type this letter one-handed as I’m yet to regain full use of my left side. If I don’t recover completely, I’ll have to say goodbye to my lifelong dream of becoming Air Guitar World Champion. If that occurs, you will pay.

To discuss my generous compensation package, email me at: [email protected], or tweet me at: @RichWisken

No regards,

Rich Wisken.

Man Viciously Degrades the Obese Passenger He Had to Sit Next to, Demands Compensation in Viral Letter to Airline | TheBlaze.com

Give me a break. Mr. Wisken didn't say anything to the obese man. The writer seems to think he was personally insulted. :lol:

I support this bloke. Who cares about the fat bastard? He should have been moved to another seat so this bloke, who expected extra leg room, could actually get what he paid for!
Maybe the fat bastard will read his letter, feel bad, and lose weight?

Consider the possibility that the verbally abused individual had also paid extra for a seat with extra room.

Perhaps the verbal diarrhea suffer should have been given back his $25 but denied any alcohol service as he was obviously unstable. I hate to think what might have happened had the staff plied him with booze by way of compensation!

Consider the possibility that the verbally abused individual had also paid extra for a seat with extra room.

Perhaps the verbal diarrhea suffer should have been given back his $25 but denied any alcohol service as he was obviously unstable. I hate to think what might have happened had the staff plied him with booze by way of compensation!

The airline should never have seated another passenger next to the overweight man. You should expect a comfortable flight - not to be squashed between two tons of flab.

I kinda liked his writing. Very colourful. I'm skeptical at the source, but if true, :thup:

Having had a seat next to that same guy (from which I managed to escape before takeoff) I can sympathize with him too, although anyone who's been on a plane in the last quarter-century knows better than to "expect a comfortable flight", regardless who's next to you. Only relatively recently did airlines start soaking passengers extra money for aisle seats -- where we stand ready to help evacuate people no less -- and they've been crowding the pitch of the seating to the point where it's insanely uncomfortable on a long flight. Good for Rich Wisken for getting at least some compensation from the airline. Greedy bastards.

I'm surprised at you Noomi.

The guy that wrote that is pond scum.

He's frustrated and angry. He paid for a flight, he paid for extra leg room, he was given a seat next to a morbidly obese person. He had no room for a comfortable seat, and the flight attendants ignored his concerns.

There really needs to be a weight limit on all flights - so no one should be seated next to a person who weighs more than a certain amount.

If he had said that stuff to the actual obese passenger, that would be cruel. As it is, he's just blowing off steam at the airline. In my opinion. :lol:

The guy with the extremely long legs was selfish for wanting extra leg room.
Personally, I think the writer writes well, but he sucks at compassion. He should be more angry at the 3 stewardesses than at the man he was forced to sit next to. Why not write a story about them, full of snarky attitude besides the mundane chatty 1, chatty 2 and giggly? Why take it out on the guy assigned that seat? What could HE have done? Move to the back where people were LAYING DOWN where he and his "bulk" would be more comfortable? He could have, if allowed to. But he was not allowed to any more than the writer of the article.

The guy with the extremely long legs was selfish for wanting extra leg room.
Personally, I think the writer writes well, but he sucks at compassion. He should be more angry at the 3 stewardesses than at the man he was forced to sit next to. Why not write a story about them, full of snarky attitude besides the mundane chatty 1, chatty 2 and giggly? Why take it out on the guy assigned that seat? What could HE have done? Move to the back where people were LAYING DOWN where he and his "bulk" would be more comfortable? He could have, if allowed to. But he was not allowed to any more than the writer of the article.

I think it may have been the stank that pushed this chap over the edge. :lol:

If he had said that stuff to the actual obese passenger, that would be cruel. As it is, he's just blowing off steam at the airline. In my opinion. :lol:

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure the letter writing was cathartic. As long as the angry passenger didn't abuse the obese guy then I don't see any problem in terms of socially acceptable behavior. After all, most of us do the same kind of ranting on USMBC.

Last edited:
i understand and sympathize with how the guy feels. Ive been there done that....

The ways i see it...if you take up the space of two seats....then you should be required to pay for tow seats...... it is unfair for others to take up space that I have paid for. Nothing is more annoying then when the person sitting next to you is pushing into your seat and up against you. I made the mistake of wearing just a cami on a flight... and the guy next to me....eewwww... his skin was touching mine. He should have been made to pay for two seats.

I agree with all of you but I also feel bad for the obese guy. He was stuck too.

I'd rather sit next to an obese person than a kid or a baby. Oy. The thought just makes me shudder.

And yes...if someone is obese, they need to pay a bit more for two seats. Maybe not full price but some kind of reduction. I dunno. The airlines are still packing in people like sardines and they don't even offer food service any more. But as long as people still fly...the airlines will pack them in tighter and charge more for carryon, etc. They do all this because they can.

My thoughts exactly. I'm sure the letter writing was cathartic. As long as the angry passenger didn't abuse the obese guy then I don't see any problem in terms of socially acceptable behavior. After all, most of us do the same kind of ranting on USMBC.

Why is it socially unacceptable to tell a land whale to take a bath and scrub in between the fat rolls, but the mass of flesh can pile on someone trying to sit in the next seat and assault the noses of a cabinful of people with their putrid stench and not get called on it?

I agree with all of you but I also feel bad for the obese guy. He was stuck too.

I'd rather sit next to an obese person than a kid or a baby. Oy. The thought just makes me shudder.

And yes...if someone is obese, they need to pay a bit more for two seats. Maybe not full price but some kind of reduction. I dunno. The airlines are still packing in people like sardines and they don't even offer food service any more. But as long as people still fly...the airlines will pack them in tighter and charge more for carryon, etc. They do all this because they can.

i dont want to sit next to either......

A-men to both of that.

I wonder if a morbidly obese person is even physically qualified to handle an exit row emergency for that matter.

I support this bloke. Who cares about the fat bastard? He should have been moved to another seat so this bloke, who expected extra leg room, could actually get what he paid for!
Maybe the fat bastard will read his letter, feel bad, and lose weight?

Perhaps if we think of obesity as a medical and psychological problem we'd have a bit more compassion for people like this. I'm surprised at people's reactions to this, or actually no, not surprised. Disappointed.

Forum List

Back