Oberlin College Students Demand Elimination of Midterms and Grades Below "C"

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville

Very reasonable. Student activists at Oberlin College are saying how frustrated they are that the school is making it so tough for them to be on campus — and that it’s so unfair that the school won’t heed their demands for how to make it easier on them.

Now, in case you forgot, Oberlin made headlines in December when student activists started demanding $8.20 per hour for protesting. That was pretty ridiculous in itself, but interviews with student activists in a New Yorker piece written by Nathan Heller suggest that that demand was really just the tip of the ridiculousness iceberg. For example, a self-identified “Afro-Latinx” student named Megan Bautista said she was upset that the school is refusing to erase any grades below C’s

Whoa. So, is she trying to say that under the current policy, if you earn a D then a D appears on your transcript? Yikes, that is insane! Totally unfair! How do kids even handle going there?

Read more at: Oberlin Students: Replace Midterms with Conversations and Erase Grades Below Cs , by Katherine Timpf, National Review

The future for some of them....

Screen-Shot-2016-05-25-at-9.20.46-PM-640x480.jpg

Very reasonable. Student activists at Oberlin College are saying how frustrated they are that the school is making it so tough for them to be on campus — and that it’s so unfair that the school won’t heed their demands for how to make it easier on them.

Now, in case you forgot, Oberlin made headlines in December when student activists started demanding $8.20 per hour for protesting. That was pretty ridiculous in itself, but interviews with student activists in a New Yorker piece written by Nathan Heller suggest that that demand was really just the tip of the ridiculousness iceberg. For example, a self-identified “Afro-Latinx” student named Megan Bautista said she was upset that the school is refusing to erase any grades below C’s

Whoa. So, is she trying to say that under the current policy, if you earn a D then a D appears on your transcript? Yikes, that is insane! Totally unfair! How do kids even handle going there?

Read more at: Oberlin Students: Replace Midterms with Conversations and Erase Grades Below Cs , by Katherine Timpf, National Review

Poor baby. Real life is going to sucker punch him when he graduates.

instead of protesting and after or off campus activities..........go study, do homework, prepare for your test because you should be graded

I saw this discussed on "Outnumbered" the FOX News Network today. This is a very expensive, private college.

There are a lot of really great Millenials out there but these are the ones that catch the spotlight.

Any wonder that when these clowns graduate they can't find a "suitable" job and end up living in Mom and Dad's basement?

The irony is - employers WANT them, and are willing to make all kinds of accommodations to get them :dunno:

What's really scary, is, that these kids are our future! :ack-1:

Yeah, they will have no idea how life works and they will fail. But they have their "safe places"
The parents have done them no favors.

Agreed, it's a parent's job to prepare their child for the harsh realities life is going to throw at them, if they don't learn the lessons life will roll over them like a locomotive.

So true! Mom and Dad gave me room and board, I paid everything to attend and graduate from the University of Miami. I worked full time and my social life was zilch. I took a 48 hour a week salary job when I graduated. I felt like I was working part time. When I was transferred to Key West I took a part time job training the grocery manager and front-end manager of a grocery store chain I had worked for in college. Still had PLENTY of time to party on my new Harley.

School is interfering with their activism. They should quit school and be full time activists.

A good example of why there should be no free college education for undeserving people. It used to be that kids worked their asses off to get into college, kept their grades up, participated in extracurricular activities via school clubs that had a purpose of community service. Parents were a big part of the equation as well - they were involved.

The irony is - employers WANT them, and are willing to make all kinds of accommodations to get them :dunno:

Sure they do ... business has changed a lot ... in some positions they want inexperience and lower pay as opposed to qualified workers at higher pay... among other reasons.

No one wants these students. They are part of the great numbers of college grads that can't find a job at all.

Forum List

Back