Obamacare could be even more expensive than worst case predictions

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Gee, what a surprise. Offer people incentives to get government handouts, and people will sign up for the handouts.

That's because the law will create big incentives for employers to drop worker health coverage so that employees can get health insurance through the law's insurance exchanges. Anyone who buys insurance through an exchange and has a household income between 133 and 400 percent of the poverty line is eligible for publicly funded subsidies. So if a lot more people than expected end up in the exchanges, that means a lot more subsidies — and a much higher total cost for the law.
The study, published this week in the journal Health Affairs, estimates that some 37 million people would benefit from shifting out of employer coverage and into exchanges. What "benefit" means, in this case, is that those people would be better off getting cash from their employer instead of coverage, and then buying subsidized coverage on the exchanges.
If all 37 million people in this category were to switch into exchange-based coverage, it would result in a dramatic increase in the law's cost: about $132 billion annually in additional federal outlays, according to the study.

Surprise! New Study Suggests That Obamacare Could Cost Much More Than Expected - Hit & Run : Reason.com

I am turning 65, I have been retired for two years and get $890 from social security. I just found out that I must get part B om medacare and my social security will be charged for it. even thoue I get all my meds thrue the VA. Thank you MR Obumma

I am turning 65, I have been retired for two years and get $890 from social security. I just found out that I must get part B om medacare and my social security will be charged for it. even thoue I get all my meds thrue the VA. Thank you MR Obumma

Medicare Part B is coverage for medical services other than inpatient hospital stays. Examples would include doctors' visits, outpatient care and blood work. Medicare Part B is optional and requires payment of a monthly premium which is generally deducted from monthly Social Security checks (for 2007 the standard premium is $93.50 per month). Like most health insurance, Part B is subject to certain deductibles and co-payments.

Medicare Part B coverage is an optional benefit, and you are permitted to decline it, or "opt out" of this coverage. The decision to "opt out" is an individual one, and involves many considerations. Generally speaking, Medicare Part B coverage is a desirable benefit. Do not decide lightly to "opt out" of Medicare Part B, because if you decide later that you want to buy Part B coverage, you will usually pay a higher monthly premium when you do enroll.

Read more:
Medicare Lawyer Pennsylvania Attorney Westmoreland County Cambria Social Security Disability

From the OP link: "So if a lot more people than expected end up in the exchanges, that means a lot more subsidies — and a much higher total cost for the law."

I suspect someone has ignored or deleted that "a lot more people" means driving down the prices, which will drive down the subsidies.

From the OP link: "So if a lot more people than expected end up in the exchanges, that means a lot more subsidies — and a much higher total cost for the law."

I suspect someone has ignored or deleted that "a lot more people" means driving down the prices, which will drive down the subsidies.

Sorry Jake, rates went up 67-150%.

"a lot more people" means driving down the prices, which will drive down the subsidies

Really?
No.

The susidies are based upon income alone, not how many people participate...the more that participate the more Tax monies that will be spent.

I will be one of those determining subsidy amounts...based SOLELY upon household income.....and we must simply accept whatever number they tell us a gospel..no proof needed.

Gee, what a surprise. Offer people incentives to get government handouts, and people will sign up for the handouts.

... The study, published this week in the journal Health Affairs, estimates that some 37 million people would benefit from shifting out of employer coverage and into exchanges ...

Surprise! New Study Suggests That Obamacare Could Cost Much More Than Expected - Hit & Run : Reason.com

The study is behind a pay wall so I couldn't get to it. Did you read it?

I know you don't understand basic math.

Forum List

Back