Obamacare Anecdote

$6000 deductible
$400,000 bill for cancer treatment.

Easy peasy.

No no no. The idea is to get the colonoscopy so cancer is caught at a stage early enough to treat without it running $400K. Or better yet, to find and remove polyps and such before they ever become cancerous. The vast majority of people who get colonoscopies do so as a preventive measure.

$6000 deductible
$400,000 bill for cancer treatment.

Easy peasy.

No no no. The idea is to get the colonoscopy so cancer is caught at a stage early enough to treat without it running $400K. Or better yet, to find and remove polyps and such before they ever become cancerous. The vast majority of people who get colonoscopies do so as a preventive measure.

You seem confused.

... I now have a $6,000.00 deductible that I can't pay.
I just don't have that sort of money. ...

I will not get a colonoscopy that I need to have done,no more EKG or sonargrams
that check my circulation...

Do you know that your colonoscopy will likely be covered under any new plan?

He knows that the colonoscopy will be "covered" under a new plan, meaning they will count it towards his $6,000 deductible, which he won't be able to afford.

Not true. You lose. And so soon after entering the game.

The colonoscopy will be payed at 100% UNLESS something is found and removed. It then becomes a "medical" procedure and thus not covered

Am I wrong about this?

Many will make just a little bit too much to get the subsidy.
But they will have a problem with the high deductible.

I have that problem now that my company was dropped from our plan.
We got something for the next few months so at least we have coverage.
But I now have a $6,000.00 deductible that I can't pay.
I just don't have that sort of money.

So come March if my company gets another plan that's similar I will cancel my doctors appointment
that I have scheduled.I will not get a colonoscopy that I need to have done,no more EKG or sonargrams
that check my circulation...I will maybe go to the Doctor's office once a year for a physical instead of quarterly.And if perhaps I come down with something then I will have to go.

Sorry folks.ObamaCare blows!

Why won't you just pay all what you need out of pocket and f*** obamacare and insurance companies?

your colonoscopy will be not more than a 1000$ everything together. and the doctors visits 50-70$ per visit with ECG included if you re visiting cardiologist.

He knows that the colonoscopy will be "covered" under a new plan, meaning they will count it towards his $6,000 deductible, which he won't be able to afford.

Not true. You lose. And so soon after entering the game.

The colonoscopy will be payed at 100% UNLESS something is found and removed. It then becomes a "medical" procedure and thus not covered

and I can assure you EVERY colonoscopy involves at leas something "removed" becasue of the specifics with billing for the facility - if there is something removed and/or biopsied the reimbursement is higher.

Am I wrong about this?

So come March if my company gets another plan that's similar I will cancel my doctors appointment
that I have scheduled.I will not get a colonoscopy that I need to have done,no more EKG or sonargrams
that check my circulation...I will maybe go to the Doctor's office once a year for a physical instead of quarterly.And if perhaps I come down with something then I will have to go.

Why won't you just pay all what you need out of pocket and f*** obamacare and insurance companies?

your colonoscopy will be not more than a 1000$ everything together. and the doctors visits 50-70$ per visit with ECG included if you re visiting cardiologist.

Idiot. What if the colonoscopy discovers colon cancer.

You are just too stupid.

Am I wrong about this?

You are just too stupid.

it is YOU who are an idiot and has been proven here at least by 4 posters :lol:

if there is a colon cancer discovered there are options involved.
and many of them.

at least they were before this crap obamacare.

You are just too stupid.

it is YOU who are an idiot and has been proven here at least by 4 posters :lol:

if there is a colon cancer discovered there are options involved.
and many of them.

at least they were before this crap obamacare.

What? How about posting in English.

... I now have a $6,000.00 deductible that I can't pay.
I just don't have that sort of money. ...

I will not get a colonoscopy that I need to have done,no more EKG or sonargrams
that check my circulation...

Do you know that your colonoscopy will likely be covered under any new plan?

Even with Obamacare, my daughters boyfriend still has his pre-existing condition and he still has the inability to pay for health insurance and health care. The insurance is still to expensive, the out of pocket deductibles are still more than he is willing to pay even if he had the insurance. He is going to continue doing what he has always done. I suspect that a lot of people with low incomes and pre-existing conditions are following the same path as my daughters boyfriend. In my opinion, Obamacare has not helped a large portion of its target market nor changed their behaviour or the outcome for them.

You're right. The insurance is still too expensive, and not only for low-income people. My premium is higher than it ever was when I was working, and so are the co-pays. I don't know how it will affect the 'target market's" behavior. Low-income is one target market; people with pre-existing conditions are another. They overlap, but probably not for the majority of people. Those who just can't afford it will simply pay the penalty fee. If their income is low enough, they won't be required to file taxes anyway, so it won't be assessed against them. And they will show up at the ER when they need healthcare.

If your daughter's boyfriend has zero income, he should qualify for Medicaid, but if he is living off his savings, he still might not. Plus, if he gets insurance through healthcare.gov, he has to send in proof of last year's income so they can see whether his estimated income for this year is right. I don't know how they'll deal with people who worked but are unemployed now.
Lisa, your post is just filled with TOTAL NON TRUTHS....the very poor will be on Medicare, the low income poor will get Cost Sharing Reductions which are in ADDITION to the Insurance premium help, if they pick a Silver value plan, and that silver value plan becomes a Platinum or Gold plan where they get the BEST insurance coverage available....with zero copays, $200 max deductibles for the entire year, and no copays for drugs as well....for most of those low income people....and even if you make up to $28k as an individual, there is still some cost sharing reductions to be had where you won't have the $6300 out of pocket expense before the insurance company begins paying 100%....

AND if you are low income and choosing to bypass insurance, you WILL NOT have to pay a penalty...haven't you heard? There are exceptions to be had if you are poor...that's part of the law....

As far as your insurance being much higher than when you had a job....this is true, but absolutely NOTHING NEW.....this was the case always and still is the case....group insurance plans which can be purchased by the employer for their workers, are and have always been cheaper than having to buy insurance on your own and not through your employer....

and it is still that way with Obamacare.....they are using individual rates on the policies instead of "group Insurance rates" and to me, this seems wrong and the insurance companies are sticking it to the citizens/tax payers....

you would think that the insurance companies on the exchange could and should charge "Group rate insurance" rates instead of these astronomical individual rates...after all, IT IS A GROUP of people being insured at a county level....per plan. Instead, they are charging the high Individual rates still....even though it is slightly less money than it was to buy an individual plan of equivalent value before Obamacare....at least in my State....it is still much more expensive than getting insurance through your employer even if your employer did not pay the most of it....as a benefit.

It seems to me that MOST people on this Board are UNAWARE of the "Cost Sharing Reductions" (CSR's)of Obamacare, which are in ADDITION to the subsidy help for the Insurance Premiums which reduce all out of pocket expenses including deductibles, and copays, and total out of pocket requirements of the plans.....which are UNAFORDABLE without these CSR's.

The upper middle class that get no subsidies are having to pay astronomical prices for good individual coverage, but if they were buying good individual coverage before Obamacare....this is nothing NEW for them.....they know how expensive individual plans were for any kind of good coverage such as what a 20%/80% or 10%/90% plan covers with low deductibles and out of pocket....

Forum List

Back