Obamacare and the great lie.

When Obamacare was being pushed through the Congress so that we could eventually know what it was, one of the main complaints against it was that Democrats were trying to pave the way to socialized healthcare. Democrats insisted that wasn't the case. Republicans said that the whole idea was rife with shortcomings and that in the long run it would fail, setting up the left to claim that more had to be done. But Democrats promised that that wouldn't happen.

But here we are, just a few short years later. Many parts of Obamacare have been overturned or limited by the courts. What's left has little tensile strength to withstand the whims of changing administrations' pens and phones. And the leading Democratic Presidential candidates are rallying around a Medicare-for-all battle cry.

Obamacare was a lie. Will Democrats be willing to admit it?

I'm not a democrat. I've been a registered Independent since 1978.

I disagree with you.

Mostly because Obamacare was never allowed to fully implemented as the law was originally written.

We will never know if it would have succeeded or not because of all the republicans have done to sabotage it and defund it.

I have never supported a private insurance based health care system. At least not one that wasn't properly regulated and that proper regulation won't ever be allowed to happen because of conservatives.

Obamacare was the conservative alternative to health care changes in the 90s when the Clintons were trying to reform health care. Obamacare was originally written by the Heritage Foundation and it was bob dole's health care reform when he ran for president in 1996. Mitt romney implemented it in Massachusetts when he was governor.

Democrats rightly knew they wouldn't get a public coverage program in the Obama years so they dusted off the conservative one. Then conservatives screamed about it and hated it.

I personally believe in proper regulations, choice and real competition if we're going to have private insurance. We don't have any of that now.

The only way there will be real competition in health insurance is if there's a public option. Let the private insurance companies have some real competition for once. Let the public consumer have real choice for once.

Those who want private insurance can have it. Those who want the public can have it.
"Registered independent" doesn't mean that you're not hard leftist statist....Which you are.

When Obamacare was being pushed through the Congress so that we could eventually know what it was, one of the main complaints against it was that Democrats were trying to pave the way to socialized healthcare. Democrats insisted that wasn't the case. Republicans said that the whole idea was rife with shortcomings and that in the long run it would fail, setting up the left to claim that more had to be done. But Democrats promised that that wouldn't happen.

But here we are, just a few short years later. Many parts of Obamacare have been overturned or limited by the courts. What's left has little tensile strength to withstand the whims of changing administrations' pens and phones. And the leading Democratic Presidential candidates are rallying around a Medicare-for-all battle cry.

Why ?
My daughter loves it, says it has given a lot of her employees coverage when they couldn't afford it before.
Keep the gov out of my Medicare as the trumpie said.
Unbelievable stupidity

A buy into Medicare at 50 is not stupidity and just might take it out many more years if some of those people that buy in are healthy.

The question would have to be whether some kind of buy-in would be mandatory.
Yup. And we're back to the individual mandate, then. And the mandate only works if people actually observe and follow it. Which they do not. And who can blame them? The average person doesn't feel the economic pain of a reduced tax return the way they feel the pain of not being able to pay the electric bill or a car payment due to paying a high monthly premium. The mandate is doomed from the start, IMO. No rational actor is going to forego the ubiquitous needs of living in modern society for health insurance, especially when the absolute risk is low and when bankruptcy always looms as an option.

However, I suspect the free market would come up with something.
And I suspect the opposite, with my evidence being that they never have. In fact, the free market has , instead, produced spiralling costs of healthcare. I have always felt that it's moronic to blame insurance companies for high premiums. They would love nothing more than to undercut their competition with lower premiums. But they cannot do so and stay in business, with spiralling healthcare costs.
Fortunately, we don't have to agree.

I can't understand why anyone would defend that
Simple: it's better than no coverage, if one's goal is to protect people from bankruptcy and protect against higher Indigent care expenses that we all end up paying. That doesn't make it awesome, but it's not hard to understand, either.
True.

And what’s interesting is that the ACA is the epitome of compromise: where both sides are unhappy with the resolution.

On our opinions, thats right, we don't. But we do have to agree on the facts, which show us that the free market has not only not solved this problem, but has made it worse. So it seems like one of us has a lot more work to do than the other to support his own opinion....

On our opinions, thats right, we don't. But we do have to agree on the facts, which show us that the free market has not only not solved this problem, but has made it worse. So it seems like one of us has a lot more work to do than the other to support his own opinion....
Okie dokie!

Okie dokie!
Give it a shot, then. Speculate a way the free market will solve the problem of spiralling health costs, which precipitates the problem of expensive health insurance. Believe me, I'm all ears.

Okie dokie!
Give it a shot, then. Speculate a way the free market will solve the problem of spiralling health costs, which precipitates the problem of expensive health insurance. Believe me, I'm all ears.
No you're not.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything.

Ironically enough, the individual mandate (forcing people to buy) and the mandate for coverage of pre existing conditions ( forcing companies to cover them) were both touted as "free market solutions". Because, hey, Americans are stupid enough to buy that nonsense.

Kinda hard for something to work as advertised when it is constantly being sabotaged.

Kinda hard for something to work as advertised when it is constantly being sabotaged.
True, but the individual mandate never stood a chance.

No you're not
I absolutely am all ears. My efforts ro dream up such a scenario have failed. I like things that work. If a free market solution works, then I would support it.

Can't think of one, eh? Me either.
My plan is Post 54 here: Slate exposes the "Medicare for All" lie being pushed by Democrats

You won't like it.

I don't care.
That's not your plan. That's a slate article. I'm not going to go through it and try to parse out your thoughts . Fine, if you don't want to pony up one or two of your thoughts in your own words, then don't. But you can't really be surprised or offended if a person justifiably assumes you have no such ideas and are blowing smoke.

No you're not
I absolutely am all ears. My efforts ro dream up such a scenario have failed. I like things that work. If a free market solution works, then I would support it.

Can't think of one, eh? Me either.
My plan is Post 54 here: Slate exposes the "Medicare for All" lie being pushed by Democrats

You won't like it.

I don't care.
That's not your plan. That's a slate article. I'm not going to go through it and try to parse out your thoughts . Fine, if you don't want to pony up one or two of your thoughts in your own words, then don't. But you can't really be surprised or offended if a person justifiably assumes you have no such ideas and are blowing smoke.
My plan is in Post 54.

Quite specific, and based on industry experience.

As I expected, I was wasting my time.

Thanks, bye.

My plan is in Post 54.
Yes:

"That's what Medicare Advantage plans and Medicare Supplements are for."

That's your "plan". Have people simply buy private insurance. Oh, and i almost forgot: use a mandate to force them to buy it. Wow...why didn't we think of that sooner????

:rolleyes:

Of course, people can't afford private insurance now due to spiralling medical costs, which are only increasing. So you will have to excuse me for scoffing at your "free market solution" as absurd.

Forum List

Back