Obama to send U.S. Troops to Moscow to March in Parade Celebrating Stalins Red Army.

And Stalin being part of it..and his image pl;aying a major role in the celebration...should give anyone good reason to question joining the celebration.

Hitler was a major contributor to the success of Mercedes...

If Hitlers image were used in a centennial celebration for Mercedes, would you question those that participated?

I should add....this is a really inappropriate metaphor.

USSR lost 9 million in military casualties and 19 million in civilian deaths (including the horrific seige of Leningrad). I don't think we, in this country can comprehend that level of destruction. While that doesn't minimize what Stalin did, the WW2 victory is a HUGE deal in Russia, and in Europe. More so then it is in the US, where we were not so directly touched with 300,000 military deaths, and zero civilian. Perhaps because of that it's impossible to understand what that means to Russia and Europe.
Hitler did nothing compared to Stalin. The real Holocaust is what Stalin did in killing 25 million.

Yes...he did that too. And it is interesting to watch the progression of propaganda as the Eastern War started. Stalin tried to appeal to the people as Soviets and it fell flat...that's when the Germans were having victory after victory. Then, Stalin switched to appealing to "The Motherland" and love of country (not party) and resistance stiffened up.

And Stalin being part of it..and his image pl;aying a major role in the celebration...should give anyone good reason to question joining the celebration.

If Hitlers image were used in a centennial celebration for Mercedes, would you question those that participated?

USSR lost 9 million in military casualties and 19 million in civilian deaths (including the horrific seige of Leningrad). I don't think we, in this country can comprehend that level of destruction. While that doesn't minimize what Stalin did, the WW2 victory is a HUGE deal in Russia, and in Europe. More so then it is in the US, where we were not so directly touched with 300,000 military deaths, and zero civilian. Perhaps because of that it's impossible to understand what that means to Russia and Europe.

We used to get briefings on Soviet Power and it was taught to us that the Russians have every right to be paranoid...every family lost someone in The Great Patriotic war....1 in every 20 Russians were killed or missing. Can you imagine that in the U.S.?

Only if ObamaCare passes and Ezekiel Emanuel gets a chance to implement his "Complete Lives System"

For the first time ever a United Stated President is sending U.S. Soldiers to march in a Parade in Red Square May 9th celebrating Communist Joseph Stalin and his Red Army’s victory in reaching Berlin 65 years ago. I don’t like this idea one bit even though Russia is not Communist anymore because of Ronald Reagans tough stance against the USSR which led to their downfall. Also Stalins image will be plastered all over Moscow for the Victory Celebrations for our troops to march by. This is bad politics and demoralizing for our troops.

Stalin to be celebrated as a war hero for 65th anniversary of Nazi defeat - Times Online

U.S., British Soldiers Will Mark Hitler?s Defeat in Red Square - BusinessWeek

stalin.jpg

Demoralizing for our troops? How?

We used to get briefings on Soviet Power and it was taught to us that the Russians have every right to be paranoid...every family lost someone in The Great Patriotic war....1 in every 20 Russians were killed or missing. Can you imagine that in the U.S.?

Yes - I remember reading something along that line, I don't think many people here can truely comprehend that. Europe overall, between two world wars, lost an entire generation. It would be a tremendous insult (not to mention arrogant) to France and England, as well as to Russia to refuse to participate because some people in the government are using it to try and reconstruct Stalin.

Exactly. Stalin would be rolling over in his grave to see Western Nations marching in Moscow.....so, you can say that those not liking this are in total agreement with Stalin.

you are fooling no one but yourself if you believe Stalin would roll in his grave seeing Western Nations marching in Moscow in his honor.

They are not marching in his honor.

So I again ask...if there were a centennial Mercedes celebration...and all those that contributed to their success were displayed for those celebrating...and, of course, one being Hitler....would it be appropriate for the US to attend the celebration?

Afterall, it is a celebration of Mervcedes...not Hitler. But Hitlers image is up there on the stage....

Do you truly not see the point?

Butch, stop the lyin'. The only brief you ever received was from your pimp on when the 7th fleet was going to arrive for shore leave!

The other thing about Stalin - and the use of his image is you can't take a scalpel and remove him from history - he is PART of that history and he is PART of the victory - regardless of what else he has done.

Yes - I remember reading something along that line, I don't think many people here can truely comprehend that. Europe overall, between two world wars, lost an entire generation. It would be a tremendous insult (not to mention arrogant) to France and England, as well as to Russia to refuse to participate because some people in the government are using it to try and reconstruct Stalin.

and I think the US never having to face those horrors first hand does a disservice because so many are flippant about going to war, just ignore the horrors inflicted on civilians and the military men that have to fight them. Easy to flippantly support war when you can do so from the comforts of your own home and its not your neighborhood in which the war is taking place

The other thing about Stalin - and the use of his image is you can't take a scalpel and remove him from history - he is PART of that history and he is PART of the victory - regardless of what else he has done.

So was the Confederate flag

you are fooling no one but yourself if you believe Stalin would roll in his grave seeing Western Nations marching in Moscow in his honor.

So I again ask...if there were a centennial Mercedes celebration...and all those that contributed to their success were displayed for those celebrating...and, of course, one being Hitler....would it be appropriate for the US to attend the celebration?

Afterall, it is a celebration of Mervcedes...not Hitler. But Hitlers image is up there on the stage....

I see the point you are making but do not agree - the two things are vastly different.

I see the point you are making but do not agree - the two things are vastly different.

Why?
Of course they are not exactly the same.....but why are they so different? Becasue Hitler was an enemy and at one time Stalin was an ally?

How about the Buffalo Bills? What would your feeling be about them having a 50 year celebration and one of the images being Simpson? Afterall, he was not a murderer when he played for them.

The ultimate irony is that we let the Russians take Berlin. The Germans fought to the death to ensure Berlin fall to Patton and the Brits but because that senile, Progressive stupid fuck Roosevelt, on advise of Communist spies on his staff, not that he needed much persuading, agreed to let his butt fuck buddy "Uncle Joe" take the city.

You are right. Himmler of the SS went to try to make a deal and surrender to the Americans but was turned away so the Russians could get credit.

In the winter of 1944–45, Himmler's Waffen-SS numbered 910,000 members, with the Allgemeine-SS (at least on paper) hosting a membership of nearly two million. However, by early 1945 Himmler had lost faith in German victory, likely due in part to his discussions with his masseur Felix Kersten and with Walter Schellenberg.[24] He realized that if the Nazi regime was to survive, it needed to seek peace with Britain and the United States. He also believed that Hitler had effectively incapacitated himself from governing by remaining in Berlin to personally lead the defence of the capital against the Soviets.

To this end, he contacted Count Folke Bernadotte of Sweden at Lübeck, near the Danish border. He represented himself as the provisional leader of Germany, telling Bernadotte that Hitler would almost certainly be dead within two days. He asked Bernadotte to tell General Dwight Eisenhower that Germany wished to surrender to the West. Himmler hoped the British and Americans would fight the Soviets alongside the remains of the Wehrmacht. At Bernadotte's request, Himmler put his offer in writing.

Himmler next turned to the Americans as a defector, contacting Eisenhower's headquarters and proclaiming he would surrender all of Germany to the Allies if he was spared from prosecution. He asked Eisenhower to appoint him "minister of police" in Germany's post-war government. He reportedly mused on how to handle his first meeting with the Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force (SHAEF) commander and whether to give the Nazi salute or shake hands with him. Eisenhower refused to have anything to do with Himmler, who was subsequently declared a major war criminal.

Himmler said screw it and took a cyanide capsule.
Does it make you sad that the USA wanted nothing to do with the fuck that oversaw the gassing of the Jews?

And OJ was part of the Buffalo Bills history. So you are OK if they use his image for celebrtations and marketing?

Funny... we're celebrating the victory in World War 2, which without the Russians, would have either not been achievable or would have been achievable with a far greater loss of life. How many of your fathers and grandfathers are WW2 veterans? Ask them if they think we could've won in just a few years WITHOUT Russia's help.

Imagine if Russia had joined sides with Japan? What if Hitler had never double crossed Stalin? How many of us would never be alive today if it were not for Russia's help in World War 2.

The subject title of this thread is very misleading. The insinuation is that Obama is celebrating communism when in fact, we're celebrating victory in World War 2 with Russia's help. Of course, I don't expect many of you neo-cons to actually use that brain that G-d gave you and actually THINK for once.

They are marching in honor of the WWII victory over the Nazis. And it is close to May Day which is International Workers' Day....we have ours in September.

But I am happy to see the Cold War over.....you? Not so much, eh?

you can make any claim about what you think I like or prefer all you want.

It is still a diversion from the point ZI made. If Stalin's image is being used as a prop for this celebration, Wester Country soldiers will be marchiung in his honor.

Curious...why is it so hard for you to see that?

Sure...I agree...it is a sign of unity for us to do it....but sometimes you need to draw the line. What seems to be the right thing to do, can also send a very damaging message....and this is another example of where Obama applied his ideology not necessarily thinking of the possible negative ramifications.

Many US citizens of Russian descent ran from Stalin.

Wait a minute...you are right...Stalin had NOTHING to do with the Russian victory in WWII. In fact he wasn't even born yet. They need to put Czar Alexander's portrait up. It makes more sense and it doesn't upset Cold War Wannabees...sniffling over the "good ole' days" when we were on the brink on nuclear destruction.

My grandparents survived WWII and came to Cuba, then the USA. After the war the rest of the family disappeared in what became the USSR, never to be heard from again.
I bet there several here who will tell you the same thing.
Stalin was no less a monster than Hitler.

My grandparents survived WWII and came to Cuba, then the USA. After the war the rest of the family disappeared in what became the USSR, never to be heard from again.
I bet there several here who will tell you the same thing.
Stalin was no less a monster than Hitler.
He's a hero to Butch!......That's quite obvious!

They are marching in honor of the WWII victory over the Nazis. And it is close to May Day which is International Workers' Day....we have ours in September.

It is still a diversion from the point ZI made. If Stalin's image is being used as a prop for this celebration, Wester Country soldiers will be marchiung in his honor.

Sure...I agree...it is a sign of unity for us to do it....but sometimes you need to draw the line. What seems to be the right thing to do, can also send a very damaging message....and this is another example of where Obama applied his ideology not necessarily thinking of the possible negative ramifications.

Wait a minute...you are right...Stalin had NOTHING to do with the Russian victory in WWII. In fact he wasn't even born yet. They need to put Czar Alexander's portrait up. It makes more sense and it doesn't upset Cold War Wannabees...sniffling over the "good ole' days" when we were on the brink on nuclear destruction.

Taking my post and intentionally spinning the meaning of it makes it clear that you are an ass.

propaganda doesn't fly;
Joseph Stalin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Joseph Vissarionovich Stalin (born Ioseb Besarionis dze Jughashvili in Georgian or Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili in Russian patronymic nomenclature; 18 December 1878 – 5 March 1953) was the first General Secretary of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union's Central Committee from 1922 until his death in 1953. In the years following Lenin's death in 1924, he rose to become the leader of the Soviet Union."

Forum List

Back