Obama to propose $10 per barrel fee on oil

dascrow

Rookie
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez.. when does it stop with him?

President Barack Obama will propose a $10 per barrel charge on oil to fund clean transportation initiatives as part of his final budget request next week.

Oil companies would pay the fee, which would be gradually introduced over five years.

"By placing a fee on oil, the President's plan creates a clear incentive for private sector innovation to reduce our reliance on oil and at the same time invests in clean energy technologies that will power our future," the White House said in a statement.

elchorizo

Platinum Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I would be perfectly fine with adding this tax only on oil that was imported, not oil that was drilled/pumped here locally.

drumsofgrohl

Rookie
Reaction score
No one likes high gas prices, but i do think it would drastically get us to sustainable energy sooner. I wouldn't be opposed to a tax on foreign oil as a compromise. But I still think our reliance on oil (even if pumped in america) is outrageously high. I think its time for a new industrial revolution.

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
that Obama cares so much he must never rest or sleep. everyday he comes up with another stupid idea. if it can hurt us he's all for it

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
No one likes high gas prices, but i do think it would drastically get us to sustainable energy sooner. I wouldn't be opposed to a tax on foreign oil as a compromise. But I still think our reliance on oil (even if pumped in america) is outrageously high. I think its time for a new industrial revolution.
well good then, you can pay for the millions of people who can't AFFORD it

veraderock

Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I don't have any issue with it at all.. The sooner we can move to sustainable energy the better, and initiatives like this will help.

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Reaction score
of course they are for it.. their want's supersedes the 360 million other people in the country

drumsofgrohl

Rookie
Reaction score
well good then, you can pay for the millions of people who can't AFFORD it
Why would I pay for people to use the oil I'm suggesting we reduce?
The idea is they wont be able to afford it. So that we stop buying it.

JakeStarkey

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Is he proposing to do it by EO? He has that power, but I think he should build a consensus for such an action.

drumsofgrohl

Rookie
Reaction score
Also, keep in mind its not an executive order. He's proposing it.

cereal_killer

Platinum Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Need this? Tax! Need that? Tax! Slash spending to pay for it? You stupid or something?

New Topics

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List