Obama Thinks You Should Have The Right To Take A Sick Day

Thank you president Obama! We need to catch up to the rest of the civilized world. Even if this only applies to federal contractors, it's a great first step.
President Barack Obama will announce an executive order on Monday that will require all federal contractors to grant at least seven days of paid sick leave. He will also urge Congress to pass the Healthy Families Act, sponsored by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT). The bill was introduced in the House of Representatives in March 2013, but hasn’t moved since being referred to the Subcommittee on Workplace Protections in April 2013. It would require all companies with more than 15 employees to allow at least seven days of paid sick leave.

Besides providing time for employees to recover from illness, those sick days could also be used to access preventative care, take care of a sick family member, seek assistance related to a domestic violence incident, or to go to school meetings when their child has health problems or special needs. The announcement will be made at a rally in Boston.

As many as 40 percent of private sector workers and 70 percent of low-income workers don’t have any paid sick days. Sick leave is an important labor issue for women in particular, since female family members are often the ones who spend more time taking care of children, parents, and other family members. Women who took on many of these caretaking responsibilities were also less likely to be employed, while men’s employment status remained the same, according to the National Institute on Aging.

Working women, especially Latino women, low-wage workers, and employees with less formal education are the least likely to have access to paid sick leave and family leave, according to 2014 research published in the medical journal The Gerontologist. Hispanic workers have less access to paid sick leave than other any other racial group, at 43 percent, compared with 62 percent of Asian workers, 61 percent of African American workers, and 59 percent of white workers, They also rarely have access to unpaid leave, according to The Center for American Progress.

Although there isn’t a federal law requiring paid sick leave, there has been progress on the state and local level. New York City, Jersey City, New Jersey, and Portland, Oregon passed laws allowing for paid sick leave in 2013. More recently, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania passed a law requiring businesses with 15 or more employees to provide five paid sick days. Seattle, San Francisco, and Connecticut also provide paid sick leave, and there is evidence that job growth has actuallyimproved after the laws took effect.
Finally.....a president who feels our pain.

Thank you president Obama! We need to catch up to the rest of the civilized world.
President Barack Obama will announce an executive order on Monday that will require all federal contractors to grant at least seven days of paid sick leave. He will also urge Congress to pass the Healthy Families Act, sponsored by Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-CT). The bill was introduced in the House of Representatives in March 2013, but hasn’t moved since being referred to the Subcommittee on Workplace Protections in April 2013. It would require all companies with more than 15 employees to allow at least seven days of paid sick leave.

Besides providing time for employees to recover from illness, those sick days could also be used to access preventative care, take care of a sick family member, seek assistance related to a domestic violence incident, or to go to school meetings when their child has health problems or special needs. The announcement will be made at a rally in Boston.

As many as 40 percent of private sector workers and 70 percent of low-income workers don’t have any paid sick days. Sick leave is an important labor issue for women in particular, since female family members are often the ones who spend more time taking care of children, parents, and other family members. Women who took on many of these caretaking responsibilities were also less likely to be employed, while men’s employment status remained the same, according to the National Institute on Aging.

Working women, especially Latino women, low-wage workers, and employees with less formal education are the least likely to have access to paid sick leave and family leave, according to 2014 research published in the medical journal The Gerontologist. Hispanic workers have less access to paid sick leave than other any other racial group, at 43 percent, compared with 62 percent of Asian workers, 61 percent of African American workers, and 59 percent of white workers, They also rarely have access to unpaid leave, according to The Center for American Progress.

Although there isn’t a federal law requiring paid sick leave, there has been progress on the state and local level. New York City, Jersey City, New Jersey, and Portland, Oregon passed laws allowing for paid sick leave in 2013. More recently, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania passed a law requiring businesses with 15 or more employees to provide five paid sick days. Seattle, San Francisco, and Connecticut also provide paid sick leave, and there is evidence that job growth has actuallyimproved after the laws took effect.

This is America where the civilized world rightfully does not apply.

We have the tools we need here thank you.

Go ahead and take off sick, you'll just not get paid, Take enough of them and you will be released due to Medical unavailability.

Obama has many stupid ideas that never see the light of day.

This should be part of that list

-Geaux
Every time Obama opens his mouth I NEED a sick day!
I'm already getting sick reading Geaux and your post.
If you've been working for this company for 1 year or whatever. Do you think you deserve to have this kind of company benefits? Why is that so bad?
If you don't want to get paid, then just tell your employer you don't want to get paid.

As conservatives rally round the American worker again
we have a work ethic unlike your lazy ### president
tyrone i seen those guys with that work ethic,come to work with the flu and pass it on to those they work by....fuck that shit,that makes things worse....give them a few days off with pay so they will stay home instead of making 3-4 others sick...
hell ya, send em home with their fakey illness and call someone else in that has the day off
That's their benefits. I will let them and I don't care what they do when they take sick time. That's the benefits that has been going on for decadeS.

I have had paid sick days at every job I have had as usual the government is playing catch up.
they are?.....i had 13 days a year....what private places have that much?...
I gave 7 days sick time each year which is about the norm with other companies I know. Usage of this benefit get peaked during flu season. Some or most use for personal reasons like family, day care, visitor etc. And I don't care where they apply this benefit.

If you've been working for this company for 1 year or whatever. Do you think you deserve to have this kind of company benefits? Why is that so bad?

Nobody says it's bad to have more job benefits, just that it is bad to have them mandated by gov't or presidential fiat. When America's lefties get done meddling with the employee/employer market there will be fewer jobs for the untrained/uneducated and higher prices at the very businesses they depend on for affordable products.

So why are all our "concerned" hand-wringers determined to hurt those at the bottom? Could it be they prefer those people dependent upon the political party that promises the most freebies?

Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or even try are rewarded - in exchange for their votes - with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Good on em. Not enough people out there fighting for struggling American Workers. We've gone far backwards in that regard. American Workers haven't caught a break in years. They've been used & abused for decades. Slave Labor has become all the rage. It's good to see someone actually caring.

Nobody says it's bad to have more job benefits, just that it is bad to have them mandated by gov't or presidential fiat. When America's lefties get done meddling with the employee/employer market there will be fewer jobs for the untrained/uneducated and higher prices at the very businesses they depend on for affordable products.

So why are all our "concerned" hand-wringers determined to hurt those at the bottom? Could it be they prefer those people dependent upon the political party that promises the most freebies?

Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or even try are rewarded - in exchange for their votes - with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.
WHY? Only the CEO can? Oh, it'll cause disaster? BS, dupe.

(CBS News) President Obama invoked New England Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady in his Labor Day speech Monday to argue that everyone needs unions to protect them in the workplace.

It's about time Obama step in and side with the hardworking Americans. Americans deserve this. Most or just about companies I know like me has sick time benefits in top of other benefits. So why would the federal contractors be different or exempt from this? I support the EO.

It's about time Obama step in and side with the hardworking Americans. Americans deserve this. Most or just about companies I know like me has sick time benefits in top of other benefits. So why would the federal contractors be different or exempt from this? I support the EO.

Do you have any knowledge that most (or all) of the contractors don't already offer that bennie and what evidence do you have that all the affected employees are hard working and therefore deserving? I support all and any compensatory packages mutually agreed upon by the companies and their workers. I do not support federal gov't or presidential motherly meddling in that relationship.

Last edited:

Obama should levy his tyranny by not using such a broad brush. Make contractors OPT in. Meaning, if you want to apply on a government contract you have to offer your employee's a select amount of sick days. By doing this, it allows the company to buy into the government system vice being mandated to do so.

Put the choice to comply in the hands of the company. If they want the contract, they'll meet the requirement. If not, then they would not be impacted by rules that only apply to government contractor employee's

-Geaux

Do you have any knowledge that most (or all) of the contractors don't already offer that bennie and what evidence do you have that all the affected employees are hard working and therefore deserving? I support all and any compensatory packages mutually agreed upon by the companies and their workers. I do not support federal gov't or presidential motherly meddling in that relationship.
These are federal company contractors not private or public companies.
American people deserve sick time either you like it or not. I give sick time to my people across the board so why federal govt. contractor be different? Someone has to speak up for them. If not the president. Then who? You? If that was not agreed upon then will make it a new benefits. That is how I look at it.

Which means the rabid right is now against paid sick leave.
Against government mandated paid sick leave.

Do you see the difference?
So, you're agsinst paid sick leave. No, I don't see the difference.
No, dimwit.
I'm against the government telling me that I have to provide paid sick time.
If other companies are offering it and I need to start offering it in order to attract a good crop of employees, fine.
Otherwise, whether you like it or not, a company will always avoid unnecessary expenses.
IOW, let the market decide
So, IOW, you're against paid sick leave. Got it :thup:

Thank you president Obama! We need to catch up to the rest of the civilized world. Even if this only applies to federal contractors, it's a great first step.

Glad Barry approves as most companies feel the same way.

Forum List

Back