NZ gun buyback: 10,000 firearms returned after Christchurch attack

I still have hope. I'm wondering if 3% of our gun owners would turn in their AR's for the good of the country. You never know until you try, do you?
I don't buy "it will never work." That is nothing but your desperate wish.

I wonder how you'd feel about gun confiscation if Trump declared martial law and declared himself president for life? What can you do about it without force of arms? nuthin, dummy.
We don't have the "force" with AR's and bullet proof vests to do anything about it, either.

We don't have the "force" with AR's and bullet proof vests to do anything about it, either.

I never wore body-armor or fired my M-16 full-auto in the RVN and I sent several dozen communists to the commissar-in-the-sky. And these boys who served in Iraq and the 'Stan even I find a little scary....Urban warfare, other than Hue, is something I'm very thankful for having missed. Asymmetrical warfare has been going on since the days of Geronimo...in fact Ho Chi Minh studied the Apache wars in the American southwest and realized they held out long enough for the government to give up and give them good reservations.

That gave me chills. If only that could happen here. I wonder, since we only hear from the extremes, if there ARE people out there willing to sell them back.

Yes there are. That’s why whenever I have extra cash I buy the guns those people own from them, with all proper paperwork, to insure those guns don’t fall victim to a confiscation or buyback. .

Well..good luck to them..would never work here:

"More than 10,000 firearms have been bought by New Zealand’s government in less than a month as part of its gun buyback scheme following the Christchurch mosque shootings in March.
Following the killing of 51 people in two inner-city Christchurch mosques by an Australian white supremacist, prime minister Jacinda Ardern’s government rushed through legislation to ban military-style semi-automatic weapons and set aside NZ$150m to buy firearms that were now illegal.
A bill outlawing most automatic and semi-automatic weapons, and components that modify existing weapons, was passed by a vote of 119 to 1 in April.
“I could not fathom how weapons that could cause such destruction and large-scale death could be obtained legally in this country,” Ardern said at the time. “I struggle to recall any single gunshot wounds. In every case they [victims] spoke of multiple injuries, multiple debilitating injuries that deemed it impossible for them to recover in days, let alone weeks. They will carry disabilities for a lifetime, and that’s before you consider the psychological impact. We are here for them.”
The shooter bought the weapons for the killings legally in New Zealand, despite experts initially suspecting they had been acquired on the blackmarket.
The governments gun-buyback scheme was launched in mid July. Since then, 10,242 firearms have been handed into police, with an additional 1,269 firearms handed in under amnesty.
The amnesty mean no questions will be asked by police about when or how owners acquired the now-banned weapons, even if they don’t have a current firearms licence or paperwork for the weapons."

New Zealand gun buyback: 10,000 firearms returned after Christchurch attack
That gave me chills. If only that could happen here. I wonder, since we only hear from the extremes, if there ARE people out there willing to sell them back.

No one is stopping anyone from handing their guns over or selling them now....... they keep their guns because they want their guns.....

New Zealanders turned in ~2.8% of the weapons that were required to be turned in.
Why do you think American gun owners would turn in -that- many?
Oh shut up, killjoy. I'm enjoying the tingle up my leg.
Good that your recognize something like that will never work here.
I still have hope. I'm wondering if 3% of our gun owners would turn in their AR's for the good of the country. You never know until you try, do you?
I don't buy "it will never work." That is nothing but your desperate wish.

What "good of the country" are you talking about..

18 million AR-15 rifles in private hands...

all rifle deaths in 2017.... 403.

Deaths from 12 mass public shootings in 2018.... 93, all guns, not just rifles...

Population....320 million

What "Good of the country," are you talking about...bees and wasps kill more people every year....knives kill over 1,500 people every year...so for the good of the country should we all use Sporks?

"More than 10,000 firearms have been bought by New Zealand’s government in less than a month as part of its gun buyback scheme following the Christchurch mosque shootings in March.
Following the killing of 51 people in two inner-city Christchurch mosques by an Australian white supremacist, prime minister Jacinda Ardern’s government rushed through legislation to ban military-style semi-automatic weapons and set aside NZ$150m to buy firearms that were now illegal.
A bill outlawing most automatic and semi-automatic weapons, and components that modify existing weapons, was passed by a vote of 119 to 1 in April.
“I could not fathom how weapons that could cause such destruction and large-scale death could be obtained legally in this country,” Ardern said at the time. “I struggle to recall any single gunshot wounds. In every case they [victims] spoke of multiple injuries, multiple debilitating injuries that deemed it impossible for them to recover in days, let alone weeks. They will carry disabilities for a lifetime, and that’s before you consider the psychological impact. We are here for them.”
The shooter bought the weapons for the killings legally in New Zealand, despite experts initially suspecting they had been acquired on the blackmarket.
The governments gun-buyback scheme was launched in mid July. Since then, 10,242 firearms have been handed into police, with an additional 1,269 firearms handed in under amnesty.
The amnesty mean no questions will be asked by police about when or how owners acquired the now-banned weapons, even if they don’t have a current firearms licence or paperwork for the weapons."

No one is stopping anyone from handing their guns over or selling them now....... they keep their guns because they want their guns.....
Or don't--if they don't want guns..which happens to be the majority in US:

The demographics of gun ownership in the U.S.

Only one third of Americans own a gun

Yeah...not true...

Keep in mind, the biggest growth areas for gun ownership are women and minorities.....two sectors of the population that had low ownership rates in the past..who are now buying more guns.

UPDATED: Correcting Gun Control false claims about "America’s unique gun violence problem" and "How to Reduce Shootings" - Crime Prevention Research Center

“32% of households have guns”

In another example of bias, the Times claims that only 32% of American households own guns. That number comes from the General Social Survey (GSS), but it is an outlier. A March 2018 poll by NBC News and the Wall Street Journal estimates that 47% of households own guns, with another 3% declining to answer. A Monmouth University Poll on March 2-5, 2018 asked: “Do you or anyone in your household own a gun, rifle, or pistol?” With 46% saying “yes” and another 7% unsure or refusing to answer, it is quite plausible that half of all households own guns.

NBC Poll: Does Gun Ownership Increase Or Decrease Safety? Anti-Gun Activists Won't Like The Results.

nearly 6 in 10 Americans believe that getting guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens increases safety.

"In the poll, 58 percent agree with the statement that gun ownership does more to increase safety by allowing law-abiding citizens to protect themselves," NBC News reports. "By contrast, 38 percent say that gun ownership reduces safety by giving too many people access to firearms, increasing the chances for accidental misuse."

------

NBC notes that the overall result is a "reversal" of the findings of a 1999 survey that found that 52 percent of respondents believed gun ownership reduced safety. The more positive perspective on gun ownership is partly reflected in gun ownership trends: "47 percent of American adults say they have a firearm in the household, which is up from 44 percent in 1999."

Yeah...not true...

Keep in mind, the biggest growth areas for gun ownership are women and minorities.....two sectors of the population that had low ownership rates in the past..who are now buying more guns.

UPDATED: Correcting Gun Control false claims about "America’s unique gun violence problem" and "How to Reduce Shootings" - Crime Prevention Research Center

“32% of households have guns”

In another example of bias, the Times claims that only 32% of American households own guns. That number comes from the General Social Survey (GSS), but it is an outlier. A March 2018 poll by NBC News and the Wall Street Journal estimates that 47% of households own guns, with another 3% declining to answer. A Monmouth University Poll on March 2-5, 2018 asked: “Do you or anyone in your household own a gun, rifle, or pistol?” With 46% saying “yes” and another 7% unsure or refusing to answer, it is quite plausible that half of all households own guns.

NBC Poll: Does Gun Ownership Increase Or Decrease Safety? Anti-Gun Activists Won't Like The Results.

nearly 6 in 10 Americans believe that getting guns in the hands of law-abiding citizens increases safety.

"In the poll, 58 percent agree with the statement that gun ownership does more to increase safety by allowing law-abiding citizens to protect themselves," NBC News reports. "By contrast, 38 percent say that gun ownership reduces safety by giving too many people access to firearms, increasing the chances for accidental misuse."

------

NBC notes that the overall result is a "reversal" of the findings of a 1999 survey that found that 52 percent of respondents believed gun ownership reduced safety. The more positive perspective on gun ownership is partly reflected in gun ownership trends: "47 percent of American adults say they have a firearm in the household, which is up from 44 percent in 1999."
Even if half do...half don't. Story of America, right now.

Forum List

Back