NRA endorses Romney, Ryan

As already correctly noted: ‘what a shock’!

Just a few gun thread points:

The Second Amendment addresses the right to self-defense, with the handgun the chosen means of exercising that right; there is no right to own a gun per se, hence the many restrictions being upheld as Constitutional, save that of an outright ban on firearms.

It’s a similar legal theory as the right to privacy, where a woman doesn’t have a ‘right’ to an abortion, she has the right to privacy, and the state may place limits and restrictions on abortion, but may not ban it outright.

Also…

Those who disagree with Heller/McDonald need to take care from a consistency standpoint, as that argument could undermine Griswold/Roe/Casey and privacy rights.

Those who disagree with Griswold/Roe/Casey need to take care from a consistency standpoint, as that argument could undermine Heller/McDonald and self-defense rights.

And Obama has a better record on gun rights than did GWB.

To be absolutely fair, I think Griswald/Roe was an overreach by the court as well. I don't approve of legislating from the bench if the right or the left does it. There are no "privacy rights" anywhere in teh constitution.

Let's be really honest. There are no rights at all. There are privilages the rest of us let you have.

Anyone who thinks that there are "rights" should look up "Japanese-American 1942" to see how quickly rights can disappear.

now, as a pure practical matter, Heller and Roe just recognized reality. Guns and abortions are going to happen no matter what the law is, and as long as people want them, they'll get them.

By your brilliant logic of to many guns then why is it the citizenry of Switzerland ALL own guns yet have one of the lowest crime rates? The shots fired at lexington was because the British commander had been ordered to disarm the citizenry. You don't want to own guns fine go ahead but there ain't no way in hell a government in this country will disarm the people....they aren't that stupid...and they are some really dumb folks...

I think it's impractical to disarm the country, and no one is really suggesting it...

I think we need laws so that Joker Holmes can't walk into a gun story and buy a 100 Round clip. That would be kind of sensible.

Switerland doesn't have a violence problem because they don't have a poverty problem. They have a nice welfare state where everyone is taken care of.
He wasn't a criminal so he had every right to buy a weapon and ammo

So you are saying being poor makes people criminals? Well I am dirt poor the worst thing I do is pass on a double yellow once in a while...your logic fails and is the logic of liberals who try to explain why blacks represent an overwhelming amount of violent crimes in America...its because they are poor! OF COURSE! I grew up poor and have never used a weapon in a crime...I have only used a gun to target shoot.

I doubt the Swiss would be peaceful if their government tried taking their guns away. Its a peaceful country because its a free country that allows its citizens the freedom to choose for themselves...they make sure they are armed and know how to use them. No one is dumb enough to try and commit a crime in Switzerland.Yes the militia drove away the brits but the reason they had to do so was because the British commander was under orders to seize all arms.

When have the Swiss ever not been peaceful?

Beats me, I am not up to date on Swiss History I know they were neutral during ww2.I bet they would defend themselves if attacked though.

And the first amendment limited to printing presses, and horse delivered correspondance. That dog doesnt hunt.

If the 2nd amendment is about miltias, then why do the PEOPLE have the right to keep and bear arms, and not the "states?". If they were really writing about the individual states having the right, and not the people, why didnt they write that explicitly? Another dog that doesnt hunt.

If you dont want to own a weapon, fine. It does not give you the right to infringe upon someone elses EXPLICIT consitutional right. Again, amend the 2nd amendment if you dont like it.

Guy, doesn't work that way. The SCOTUS has ruled that gun ownership CAN be restricted. US v. Miller, to start with.

We just need to get rid of a couple knuckle draggers on the Supreme Court.

Just as speech can be restricted, say the "yelling fire in a crowded theatre" exception to the first amendment. However these restrictions are explicitly written, and only in a specifc case. Miller allows the 1934 firearms act, which is not a ban, but a tax and a requirement that local law enforcement allow your possesion of things like machine guns. Hence, it is not a ban. Bans like those in Chicago are unconsitutional, as it is most certainly infringement.

Again, change the 2nd amendment, if you want to try it.

I also find it disturbing you prefer supreme court justices who restrict our rights. how very orwellian of you.

Miller is one of the three worst USSC decisions in history.

Frankly, not really.

Let's pretend for a moment that the 2nd Amendment and it's idiotic syntax didn't exist.

What real practical reason do average citizens need to have guns?

There isn't one.

What is a reason to ban a law abiding citizen with no criminal record from having a gun?

There is no reason, except your deep fear of things that go "BANG!"

Did you jump?

So you are saying being poor makes people criminals? Well I am dirt poor the worst thing I do is pass on a double yellow once in a while...your logic fails and is the logic of liberals who try to explain why blacks represent an overwhelming amount of violent crimes in America...its because they are poor! OF COURSE! I grew up poor and have never used a weapon in a crime...I have only used a gun to target shoot.

So you are one of these idiots who clings to his guns and his bibles and thinks he's better than the other poor people...

Really.

besides the borderline racism of your statement (Heck, fuck it, you went over the border!)

Fact is, countries with a strong welfare state have lower crime rates than we do.

By your brilliant logic of to many guns then why is it the citizenry of Switzerland ALL own guns yet have one of the lowest crime rates? The shots fired at lexington was because the British commander had been ordered to disarm the citizenry. You don't want to own guns fine go ahead but there ain't no way in hell a government in this country will disarm the people....they aren't that stupid...and they are some really dumb folks...

I think it's impractical to disarm the country, and no one is really suggesting it...

I think we need laws so that Joker Holmes can't walk into a gun story and buy a 100 Round clip. That would be kind of sensible.

Switzerland doesn't have a violence problem because they don't have a poverty problem. They have a nice welfare state where everyone is taken care of.

You need to look closer at Switzerland............ especially the demographics.

So you are one of these idiots who clings to his guns and his bibles and thinks he's better than the other poor people...

Really.

besides the borderline racism of your statement (Heck, fuck it, you went over the border!)

Fact is, countries with a strong welfare state have lower crime rates than we do.
i come from a country in uk that belives in tight gun laws. i agree as not everyone should own a gun . But i do respect america has a different culture and that it part of their tradition. I doubt any president wants to reduce gun ownership as it such a passionate thing for many americans it seems.

Miller is one of the three worst USSC decisions in history.

Frankly, not really.

Let's pretend for a moment that the 2nd Amendment and it's idiotic syntax didn't exist.

There isn't one.

What is a reason to ban a law abiding citizen with no criminal record from having a gun?

Did you jump?

You mean besides the fact that 65% of gun deaths are suicides or accidents?

True story. Neighbor in my condo complex had some real issues with his heath. One night, he decided to shoot out the patio door on his unit. He tried to claim that someone shot in at him, but the cops didn't buy it because all the glass was pointing outside not in. (Whoops). For some reason, they didn't confiscate his gun, though. Probably had this overwealming respect for his second amendment rights.

A couple days later, he blew his brains out in the bathroom.

now, yeah, maybe he might have killed himself if he didn't have a gun, but the gun sure made it a lot easier.

Not that would matter to the Social Darwinists who currently run the GOP.

Frankly, not really.

There isn't one.

Did you jump?

True story. Neighbor in my condo complex had some real issues with his heath. One night, he decided to shoot out the patio door on his unit. He tried to claim that someone shot in at him, but the cops didn't buy it because all the glass was pointing outside not in. (Whoops). For some reason, they didn't confiscate his gun, though. Probably had this overwealming respect for his second amendment rights.

now, yeah, maybe he might have killed himself if he didn't have a gun, but the gun sure made it a lot easier.

So why does his problem affect my right to own a gun?

Would his issue with calling a black person a ****** and getting his ass kicked (a violation of the fighting words restriction on speech) require me to take classes on racial sensitivity, or sign a pledge to never say ******?

Did you jump?

Would his issue with calling a black person a ****** and getting his ass kicked (a violation of the fighting words restriction on speech) require me to take classes on racial sensitivity, or sign a pledge to never say ******?

Wow, not even a good analogy. And I know you are really, really trying.

Words don't kill people. Guns kill people.

Frankly, not really.

There isn't one.

Did you jump?

Stupid post.

So do baseball bats.

People kill people, guns fling a projectile via explosive combustion out of a handheld metal tube.

My analogy is sound. You propose banning my ownership of guns due to the POSSIBLE actions of other people and myself. If you want to do that, work to overturn the second amenedment.

People kill people, guns fling a projectile via explosive combustion out of a handheld metal tube.

My analogy is sound. You propose banning my ownership of guns due to the POSSIBLE actions of other people and myself. If you want to do that, work to overturn the second amenedment.

Please point out where I proposed anything of the sort.

In fact, I'm against gun laws for the same reason I'm against abortion laws... they are probably unenforceable.

I do think a little common sense, like doing a background check on you when you come in to get a new gun, would be a good idea. Or requiring you to take a mandated safety course.

So would using the government's economic pressure to get better behavior out of the gun manufacturers, such as stating that the government will not buy from companies that have irresponsible business practices like selling 100 round clips to the civilian market.

Forum List

Back