North Carolina ends pay boosts for teacher master's degrees

Jackson

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2010
Nashville
North Carolina ends pay boosts for teacher master's degrees

North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory, a Republican, signed a budget bill Friday that eliminates teacher tenure and—in a rare move—gets rid of the automatic pay increase teachers receive for earning a master's degree.

The budget bill—which drew hundreds of teachers to the Capitol in protest earlier this week—also eliminates tenure for elementary and high-school teachers and freezes teacher salaries for the fifth time in six years.

It comes as states and districts across the country are revamping teacher evaluations, salaries and job security, and linking them more closely to student performance. These changes have been propelled, in part, by the Obama administration and GOP governors.

Read more: North Carolina ends pay boosts for teacher master's degrees | Fox News

I think there should be a pay hike for earning a masters for the obvious reasons, but disagree with tenure and have mixed feelings with raises tied to student performance.

No one would want to take on the challenge of low performing students or students who have been deemed difficult to handle in a classroom situation.

What about students who are in special classes and all students a low performers? Is the teacher going to be refused a raise when she had 7 months growth in 7 months which would be spectacular for slower children?

And teachers of gifted would get a raise when they made 10 months growth in 7 months when those students could have grown much more with their ability?

The variables are much too high when dealing with children and their abilities, homes and attendance.

What other profession grants a raise simply for obtaining an advanced degree? Why should teachers be immune from the consequences of incompetence? Raises should be tied to increases in student performance, not just maintaining the status quo.

What other profession grants a raise simply for obtaining an advanced degree?

I got a raise after receiving my MBA. You should be compensated for a higher level of education as you're now bringing a higher skill set to the job.

I think there should be a pay hike for earning a masters for the obvious reasons, but disagree with tenure and have mixed feelings with raises tied to student performance.

No one would want to take on the challenge of low performing students or students who have been deemed difficult to handle in a classroom situation.

What about students who are in special classes and all students a low performers? Is the teacher going to be refused a raise when she had 7 months growth in 7 months which would be spectacular for slower children?

And teachers of gifted would get a raise when they made 10 months growth in 7 months when those students could have grown much more with their ability?

The variables are much too high when dealing with children and their abilities, homes and attendance.

I agree. The elimination of a pay raise for receiving a higher level of education seems backwards to me. They're taking away an incentive for teachers to further their own education and knowledge and in theory transfer that to the classroom.

I'm fine with getting rid of teacher tenure. No reason for tenure below a college level. I also agree with you about being mixed on performance pay. On one hand, they should be accountable for their results, but on the other hand, education starts at the home. If you have parents that don't give a crap then you likely have a kid who doesn't give a crap either.

What other profession grants a raise simply for obtaining an advanced degree? Why should teachers be immune from the consequences of incompetence? Raises should be tied to increases in student performance, not just maintaining the status quo.

jwoodie, did you read my earlier post about the problems inherent with student performance standards? Some students will do better because their is IQ higher than others and some will do better because of home environment which has nothing to do with the teacher. Then there are other students who are lower IQ, have problems like fetal alcohol syndrome, undiagnosed or untreated adhd, or their are family crises going on and the child is not a priority.

There are too many variables that are out of the control of the teacher.

Last edited:
I think we're probably dealing with a number of issues, none of which are good and all of which definitely need to be fixed. In no order of priority:

1. School budgets, like every budget these days, are woefully lacking. Every business, every medical service, every college, every family - everybody and everything including all our governments are running out of money. Period. To stick to schools, however, some schools are being shut down altogether - squalid, unsafe buildings; equipment and supplies are woefully lacking, classes are overcrowded, and you name the problem - it's there.

2. There are teachers who, yes, have that sheepskin hanging on the wall, but haven't really got the education to teach a Junebug, let alone a classroom of students. I never had a problem correcting bad grammar, incorrect spelling, or anything else when my kids brought home notes from teachers on school work - and my youngest child graduated 20 years ago. No parent should have to do that. Granted, there are many teachers who are dedicated and use their education to good purpose.

3. We DO have parents who themselves are not educated and pretty much can't help their children. We have parents who just plain don't give a crap.

4. We have so damned many rules and regulations on schools, teachers, and everybody else that the system has become dysfunctional. Some rules and regulations are so detrimental to students, teachers, and family units that they do more to break down society than they will ever do to lift up society. Some of that, in my opinion, is intentional.

5. Teachers don't need to be rewarded with raises if their students aren't learning anything and aren't progressing - it's unfair to the students. I think tenure straight down the line should be eliminated. If an unfit teacher or professor has tenure how does that help current and future students? Tenure puts educators on "easy street" and doesn't do much to encourage the educators to keep learning.

The list of what is wrong is very long.

Last edited:
All pay raises should be based on merit only.

Sure you have now learned to tie your shoes, but that matters little if you only wear sandals to work.

North Carolina's Governor's Salary $139,590

The North Carolina average teacher salary of $45,933

Yes, because running a state is on par with teaching children the rainbow.

Those who can do, those who can't teach.

Yes, because running a state is on par with teaching children the rainbow.

Those who can do, those who can't teach.

the gop of nc has set out to destroy the state..simply as that...

hey asshole thank some teacher for teaching you that 'saying'

it is that attitude that produces true idiots....

Perhaps if you keep the very best teachers and paid them a very good salary.

No tenure. Pay them for masters continuing education.

Set up a growth record of each student. If the growth record is 1 month growth for 1 month in school, the basic salary is earned. If the student makes 2-3 months more growth that year, a certain percentage range is warranted, the higher the range, the higher the amount.

This would be done for all the students in the classroom that would qualify according to attendance. Then take the average growth and deem the raise or assign probation for negative growth.

Be aware, that teachers will not be happy when they get students who should be in special classes and are not properly placed in a timely manner. Or, what happens when a child qualifies for a Developmentally Delayed class, but the parents don't want them in the class and they sit in the class room taking the extra time from the classroom teacher?

Last edited:

I got a raise when I got my degree.

And not only did I get a raise, but the company reimbursed a good portion of my tuition.

Of course, this was almost 30 years ago when employees actually had value to their employers.

Last edited:

Median household income in NC, $46,291 link . Note, that is not median personal income, but HOUSEHOLD income. The teachers aren't doing bad, heck if 2 teachers are married to each other, their household income vastly exceeds the state median income.

Set up a growth record of each student. If the growth record is 1 month growth for 1 month in school, the basic salary is earned. If the student makes 2-3 months more growth that year, a certain percentage range is warranted, the higher the range, the higher the amount.

This would be done for all the students in the classroom that would qualify according to attendance. Then take the average growth and deem the raise or assign probation for negative growth.

Be aware, that teachers will not be happy when they get students who should be in special classes and are not properly placed in a timely manner. Or, what happens when a child qualifies for a Developmentally Delayed class, but the parents don't want them in the class and they sit in the class room taking the extra time from the classroom teacher?

See my above post about salaries in NC.

See my above post about salaries in NC.[/Q

A good teacher is worth $75,000. Teachers are controlling our future.
Good teachers can help be the answer to inner city schools.
Good teachers can be the answer to students dropping out of school.
Good teachers can mentor students.
Good teachers stay after school, talk with parents and devise motivational plans for students.
Teachers are the first authority figure the students will encounter outside of the home that they have to respect and obey. It needs to be a positive experience.
Good teachers are worth every penny. Pay them what they are worth and get rid of the mediocre teachers.

Last edited:
I believe there is more going on here than first meets the eye.

If NC is like most states, teachers are required to get some number of graduate credits in order to obtain permanent certification as a licensed teacher. What some colleges do is to create a "masters degree" (small "m") program that allows a teacher to obtain the degree with only a few more courses than they are required to take anyway for permanent certification. So the teachers get a salary bump for very little extra effort above what is required by law.

Furthermore, these "masters" programs are loaded with "methods" courses and seminars that require minimal work and everyone gets a B just for showing up. There is no comprehensive examination or thesis required. In short, it is a bullshit master's degree that no one with any integrity would even want.

Many of today's principals and top administrators around the country have similar PhD degrees that are awarded on a similar basis - sometimes even by mail order. They are in no way comparable to PhD's in the hard sciences or even social sciences and humanities, where dissertations are evaluated critically and take as long as a year to complete.

No one begrudges a teacher a "bump" in pay if they get a "real" masters degree in a subject that is related to the subject they teach. But it is the bullshit degrees that brought this on.

I have several friends who are Pennsylvania teachers, and who all have "masters" degrees exactly like the ones I'm describing.

jwoodie, did you read my earlier post about the problems inherent with student performance standards? Some students will do better because their is IQ higher than others and some will do better because of home environment which has nothing to do with the teacher. Then there are other students who are lower IQ, have problems like fetal alcohol syndrome, undiagnosed or untreated adhd, or their are family crises going on and the child is not a priority.

Raises should be tied to INCREASES in student performance.

Raises should be tied to INCREASES in student performance.

how do you measure student performance?

See my above post about salaries in NC.[/Q

A good teacher is worth $75,000. Teachers are controlling our future.
Good teachers can help be the answer to inner city schools.
Good teachers can be the answer to students dropping out of school.
Good teachers can mentor students.
Good teachers stay after school, talk with parents and devise motivational plans for students.
Teachers are the first authority figure the students will encounter outside of the home that they have to respect and obey. It needs to be a positive experience.
Good teachers are worth every penny. Pay them what they are worth and get rid of the mediocre teachers.

mediocre, by definition, is average.

let's get out our bell curve and see that 80% of teachers can be described as mediocre

Forum List

Back