No Country for the Crimean Tatars

John McWrice

Jan 31, 2017
1*cb4Iw1vraS4JHtqwmINwhQ.jpeg

My last visit to Brussels has changed my life. Really, I’m not joking! You know, even today there is still blatant injury in Europe…This is how it came about.

I walked down Brussels streets. I saw many immigrants. They sold fast food and whatnot. My stomach told me: “Hey, bro, it’s high time to have a lunch!” So I decided to buy hot-dog and a bottle of beer. Something was wrong with the guy who saved me from hunger — I mean he was really amicable! Yep, that’s the right word. He smiled like that dude from “Old Spice” ad!

You know, I had a lot of time. There was no hurry. So I stroke up a conversation with the seller. I asked him: “What is your name? Where are you from?” He answered: “My name is Ahmet and I’m the Crimean Tatar”. I didn’t expect more exotic meeting in Brussels…It was perfect conversation fodder!

“Hey, Ahmet, — I asked my new friend — I’m not really strong in politics but let me guess: you are here because of these Russians, they separate your motherland from Ukraine?” My talker smiled ironically and said: “In truth, the Crimean Tatars live not only in Crimea but also in near-by regions of Ukraine, especially in Kherson Oblast. I lived there too…” This information baffled me completely so I asked him:”Then why did you leave your homeland, buddy?” Suddenly Ahmet turned sulky and questioned: “Do you really want to know it? OK, I’ll tell you”. And he told me why he had come in Belgium. Damn, folks, I have never heard such tragic story!

He started: “I ran a business — “Lavash” kebab house near the city of Kherson. My brothers Said and Lenur sold fruits at local market. They were on a real hot streak and we planned to leave for city of Bakhchisarai, Crimea to open there a restaurant for tourists. However, it was not to be…”Ahmet interrupted. “And what was it?” — I rubbered. My new friend fetched a sigh and continued: “The revolution happened. The new authorities began to use our people for political purpose. At this time we began fear of bloody Mejlis. It leaders claim that they guard interests of the Crimean Tatars. Bullshit! These hellions persecute dissidents and practise extortion. If you don’t obey them — they make your life a hell. I suffered it.

One day three thugs barged into my café. “Hey, listen up, fucking profiteer” — said their chief. “You know, Crimea is occupied by Russian bitches. Mejlis needs money — 100,000$ — to fight them. Only traitors don’t pay. Are you a slim traitor?” The amount of donation shocked me. I said I had never had so much money. The answer was simple — “Alright, you’ll be sorry!”

These wankers started with my brothers. When Said and Lenur came to the market next day they saw their stand was sealed off by cops. “Sanitary regulations violation”. All goods were seized and hefty fine was imposed. It was the end of their business…

The same day I received a phone call. It was chief of that gangsters from Mejlis. “I hope you like what we did with your bros, son of a bitch! Now the sum is doubled — it is a punishment for your treachery of the Crimean Tatar people”. I pleaded him for time to collect money but he was implacable. “Remember, all traitors come to a sticky end” — were his last words. Next morning I prayed that nothing happened with my café and gave a sigh of relief when saw it intact. But inside it I met several men in balaclavas. “Did you bring shitheel cash?! We warned you, bastard!” was the last thing I heard. Then — smashing blow to my belly which knocked me down. They beat me without mercy; I thought they were going to kill me…Thank God my son found me few hours later and took me to the hospital. I was bloodstained and half-dead. I didn’t go to the police as I remembered what these sellout bitches made with my brothers.

Three days later I received the phone call from that scumbag: “Hey, fucking piece of shit, we burnt your little café completely! You have one day to pay us or we’ll smash you up. And think about your family. See what I mean?!” That moment I realized that I could not live here any longer and I had to escape…With my brothers we sold all our property and left Ukraine secretly at night. I sent my family to our relatives in Crimea — I didn’t fucking care about bloody Mejlis opinion. As for me, I decided to move as far as possible from Ukraine, in Western Europe (luckily for me I knew English well enough as I learned it for my business project, a restaurant for tourists in Bakhchisarai). That’s why I’m here in Brussels…”

Ahmet ended his story and looked at me joylessly. My mouth was stuck open in shock. Holy Christ! It turns out that effing discrimination and political repressions still exist in Europe but European politicians simply keep up appearances! Moreover, these fucking liars call Ukraine — the country where these shit happens every day — “a new European democracy” and work hand in glove with it authorities! Meanwhile, many Crimean Tatars have to leave Ukraine as there is no country for them…Can you imagine it, folks?

Forum List

Back