Niall Ferguson Comparing Marxism and Fascism

Litwin

Platinum Member
Sep 3, 2017
GDL&Sweden
MANY GREAT analysis from Niall Ferguson , what do you think about Niall Ferguson´s main points?

MANY GREAT analysis from Niall Ferguson , what do you think about Niall Ferguson´s main points?

His main points were pretty standard fare.

It is always fun to watch people who lecture about liberal indoctrination centers turn around appeal to the need for teaching people what to think about Soviet Russian society.

Ferguson is great. He stays in hot water with liberals because he once made the point that people the world over were better off for having been colonized by the British.

Ferguson is great. He stays in hot water with liberals because he once made the point that people the world over were better off for having been colonized by the British.
This is the first I have heard of him. And he did make that point in the above video.

This is the first I have heard of him. And he did make that point in the above video.

Then you should remedy this deficiency. His books are good. And shockingly unPC at times. I hadnt watched the video when i made the reference so apologies there.

In one of his books he tells the story of the British colonial officer, Napier, in India who banned the ritual murder of a widows by burning alive..the grand old Hindu tradition of Sati. A delegation of Indians approached him and said 'Sir in this country it is considered holy tradition to burn widows with their husbands". And Napier replied "In my country our tradition is to hang men who burn women alive"
For such tidbits is Ferguson pilloried.

Then you should remedy this deficiency. His books are good. And shockingly unPC at times. I hadnt watched the video when i made the reference so apologies there.

In one of his books he tells the story of the British colonial officer, Napier, in India who banned the ritual murder of a widows by burning alive..the grand old Hindu tradition of Sati. A delegation of Indians approached him and said 'Sir in this country it is considered holy tradition to burn widows with their husbands". And Napier replied "In my country our tradition is to hang men who burn women alive"
That anecdotal story aside, certainly the British had some positive influence on primitive cultures, but I have to wonder what he thinks now about the Muslim colonization of Europe. I wonder if he sees the melding of different cultures in the same light when he is on the reciprocal end.

Last edited:

need for teaching people what to think about Soviet Russian society.
+1, lecture n1, commie enslavement of ussr´s peasants = Holodomor
Golodomor.jpg

i dont buy your " liberals" BS, + Ferguson sees himself as one (in classical form) but i do 100%% agree with you second point "people the world over were better off for having been colonized by the British."

Golodomor.jpg

But what then does the Holodomor have to do with Marx's historical social theories? Did Marx not precondition his social theory of revolution on the full development of capitalist industrialization and the ability for a society to meet the needs of all of its citizens?

That anecdotal story aside, certainly the British had some positive influence on primitive cultures, but I have to wonder what he thinks now about the Muslim colonization of Europe. I wonder if he sees the melding of different cultures in the same light when he is on the reciprocal end.

I forgot. You have never read him. And maybe I didn’t summarize him well enough.
Ferguson thinks British culture was a benefit to the lands it ruled.
Does that sound like he supports Muslim rule of Britain? Do you even need to have read him to not know that? In what world does British imperialism lead to a belief that Britain should be invaded and conquered?
Weird.

i dont buy your " liberals" BS, + Ferguson sees himself as one (in classical form) but i do 100%% agree with you second point "people the world over were better off for having been colonized by the British."

I don’t care what you buy. Nor does Ferguson. As an academic under attack I am sure he well recognizes who it is attacking him.

I forgot. You have never read him. And maybe I didn’t summarize him well enough.
Ferguson thinks British culture was a benefit to the lands it ruled.
Does that sound like he supports Muslim rule of Britain? Do you even need to have read him to not know that? In what world does British imperialism lead to a belief that Britain should be invaded and conquered?
Weird.
So it is not universally a good thing to spread culture around? It's only good when the British do it?

If he expands his thoughts on this in one of his books then please tell me which so I can gain a better understanding.

Golodomor.jpg

But what then does the Holodomor have to do with Marx's historical social theories? Did Marx not precondition his social theory of revolution on the full development of capitalist industrialization and the ability for a society to meet the needs of all of its citizens?

Marx's historical social theories in practically mean the animal farm do you agree?

The+Characters+Animal+Farm+Napoleon+In+History+Josef+Stalin.jpg

Forum List

Back